Ethanol % and what to do when there to high? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ethanol % and what to do when there to high?

I got the ethanol percentage test kit. I have tested 5 different gas stations every week for 5 weeks and have found some interesting information. I only tested E90 with 87 octane pumps. My test was taken by pumping about 3 gallons into a gas can the pumping about 15 oz into a mason jar and using a sealed disposable syringe for the gas and reusing a syringe for the water.

Station Mondays next to interstate ramp mom and pop
week one. 27% ethanol
week two. 29% ethanol
week three. 26% ethanol ? talked to owner and showed her the test
week four. 16% ethanol
week five. 15% ethanol

station Tuesday next to interstate ramp huge company
week one. 22% ethanol
week two. 25% ethanol
week three. 23% ethanol ? chain station talked to so called company district manager on the phone
week four. 24% ethanol
week five. 22% ethanol

station Wednesday in the next town over
week one. 18% ethanol
week two. 15% ethanol
week three. 17% ethanol ? talked to owner and they know they were a little high and said it would get better
week four. 12% ethanol
week five. 13% ethanol

station Thursday north end of my town
week one. 13% ethanol
week two. 12% ethanol
week three. 14% ethanol
week four. 12% ethanol
week five. 13% ethanol

station Friday south end of my town brand name mom and pop
week one. 20% ethanol
week two. 18% ethanol
week three. 17% ethanol ? store manager told me she had a complaint a few weeks back and is getting it tested every other full up.
week four. 15% ethanol
week five. 13% ethanol

I think VA law says it has to be within 2% of what is marked on the pump. I can understand places being a little off and my testing not being 100% right. But if it?s off by more that 5% for 5 weeks I think there cheating people.

What organization handles this stuff and what would they say if a redneck farmer called to make some complaints?

ecofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

What kit did you get? And where did you get it? I would be interesed in testing my local gas stations too.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Registered Member

that's very interesting if your testing is accurate. the stations here in florida have a sticker that says gas contains UP TO 10% ethanol.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

I got it off this site. The glass tube with the yellow top will tell you the percentage.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/product_gas_alcohol.html

We have the stickers that say up to 10% ethanol also. But the federal law is that all gas must have at least 10% by volume unless you buy it under a special permit.

I?m not claming my results are perfect. If there was to much water in the fuel it would make it show more ethanol. There are other things that will toss of the test. I did the test about 50 times at home playing with different gas cans before I tried testing at the pump.

The test kit is showing the amount of ?water based? product is in the gas. If a station is pumping more than 5% water or water based additives besides ethanol then they have a different problem they need to get worked out.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Where in Virginia are you?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

So even if you allowed 10% for error, the gas companies are giving us way over what it is supposed to be. Even if you wanted to, you can't get 100% gasoline around here anywhere. I am going to e-mail my state rep and ask about it. I'll bet no one is checking.

All our gas stations around here have stickers on the pumps that say "may contain up to 10% ethanol"
Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Maybe you should turn your information over to the VA attorney generals office. Maybe they would investigate the fuel companies for accuracy.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Jay…
I’m a few exits north of Roanoke on I81. 3 of the stations are close to me and the other 2 are in Roanoke.

GasUser
It’s not the gas companies. They mix our gas by “splash and drive” as they call it.
If you have a farm and get a bulk fuel permit you can get about 99% gas brought to you.

Ford Man
I thought it would be under the “weights and masseurs” people but they say it’s not. I have left a few phone calls and sent emails to my state rep and the attorney generals office.

I did run into a tanker truck driver and he says when they get an order for fuel it prints out to be X amount of gas and X amount of ethanol. They pump what it says into the tanks on there truck and drive. They are not responsible if they only hit a few stop lights so it dose not mix. But if you have a 2500 gallon tank and they put 2000 of gas and 500 of ethanol they what do you think the percentage is going to be?