fuel - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

fuel

has anyone ever tried to turn their gas engine in to a natural gas engine, gas with natural gas induction, or diesel with natural gas induction? im curious as to see what the natural gas would yield. i remember in mexico one of my uncles had a F150 converted to natural gas and boy would that thing run for months!! i would ask him but lost touch so no go on that... but let me know if any of you have done this or are willing to do it?? ill start looking to see if its a hard thing to do and start posting up links to the sites i find most usefull.

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

http://www.hendrixsystems.com/index.htm

Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
People have done it

Just don't expect to get a whole lot more FE as a result of it

I personally haven't read much recently, but from what I read awhile back (looking for conversions and such), I think the company IMPCO came up frequently.

If you go ahead with it, see about a dual fuel system - so you can run gasoline when other fuels aren't available

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

It's a popular conversion in Europe. They sell kits on ebay IIRC. The problem with attaining the same or better fuel efficiency on a gasoline engine is that the engine was more or less tuned for one type of fuel.

Natural gas, like alcohol and other fuels, operates best at higher compression ratios than those found in gasoline engines. Of course, things like tuning the ECU will net you better results as well. One way to increase compression on demand is to use forced induction. I really believe it to be one of the keys to obtaining good results with flex-fuel vehicles.

Paul's right, dual-fuel is probably best. Gasoline will be available most everywhere, but other fuels' availability may not stack up at some places/times.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByNothing View Post
It's a popular conversion in Europe. They sell kits on ebay IIRC. The problem with attaining the same or better fuel efficiency on a gasoline engine is that the engine was more or less tuned for one type of fuel.

Natural gas, like alcohol and other fuels, operates best at higher compression ratios than those found in gasoline engines. Of course, things like tuning the ECU will net you better results as well. One way to increase compression on demand is to use forced induction. I really believe it to be one of the keys to obtaining good results with flex-fuel vehicles.

Paul's right, dual-fuel is probably best. Gasoline will be available most everywhere, but other fuels' availability may not stack up at some places/times.
i see.... thats what i was thinking of doing.... a dual fuel system... seems like too much trouble for such a little gain though...what is iirc??