Fuel additive experiments.... - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
Coleman's and a generic version of it can be found at Walmart for $3-4 per gallon. I intend to test the 10 oz per 10 gallon rate at some point.
I've tried this ratio in my lawn mower with a 13% increase . Then put it in my car with no real gain. Also as a blind test I put it in my wife commuter without telling her and saw no gain. I think with ECU's and knock sensors these additives just won't work on the newer cars. Your mileage may very.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob
I'm leaning towards some sort of setup that uses a bimetallic from a thermostat to trigger a vacum valve that controls a butterfly opening in a second intake tube letting in cold air, and having a second way to open it off the cam that the throttle cable uses to allow it to also open anytime I push the accelerator down hard.
Just get an airbox out of a 4-cyl naturally apsirated Volvo from the mid 80s-early 90s. That airbox (at least the one in my 740) breathes from two intake paths (one to fresh air, one to the exhaust manifold) and is thermostatically controlled via a very simple flapper valve setup. You may need to replace the thermostat itself, but they are cheap from the right source. The only problem is that I don't know what the target temperature is.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
I've tried this ratio in my lawn mower with a 13% increase . Then put it in my car with no real gain. Also as a blind test I put it in my wife commuter without telling her and saw no gain. I think with ECU's and knock sensors these additives just won't work on the newer cars. Your mileage may very.
Sounds like Coleman's at 10 oz per 10 G might be good for carbed engines? Maybe earlier EFI?

The guy that "found" this supposedly used it in an EFI....

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The last fillup I put 3oz Acetone in with the 10.9 gallons but no Torco and I have not seen the SGII show the really low fuel rate burn of 0.1 GPH any more only 0.2-0.3 GPH. Torco is going back in at the next fillup.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:28 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick
Just get an airbox out of a 4-cyl naturally apsirated Volvo from the mid 80s-early 90s. That airbox (at least the one in my 740) breathes from two intake paths (one to fresh air, one to the exhaust manifold) and is thermostatically controlled via a very simple flapper valve setup. You may need to replace the thermostat itself, but they are cheap from the right source. The only problem is that I don't know what the target temperature is.
I'll go to the yard and look for one, thanks
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:43 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
The last fillup I put 3oz Acetone in with the 10.9 gallons but no Torco and I have not seen the SGII show the really low fuel rate burn of 0.1 GPH any more only 0.2-0.3 GPH. Torco is going back in at the next fillup.
You'd be one of few to talk about a verified gain using Torco oil....except LaPointe

Are you using the GP7 (synth 2 cycle)...at .25 oz per 10 G?

This is the rate I use it at.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:10 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
From 2-3 GPH to 1 GPH with Torco additive. So are you telling me that Torco will double or triple your FE? If your previous tanks were in the 40's with Torco, then you should be getting 15-20 MPG on this tank.

Ouch!

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #28
Registered Member

I wouldn't call this an experiment because I don't know how you can do a good test with additives. I've tried a mixture of 1oz acetone/2oz kerosene(mineral oil)/ 7oz coleman in more than 10 gallons of fuel.

On my daily driver there was no decrease in FE over this tank which had no EOC because of transmission complaints. On my wife car there was a 10% increase on the Odyssey with the mixture. 3 tanks before average 20.6 MPG. With the additives 3 tanks at 22.6 MPG then 2 clearing tanks on the highway on a trip we took and then one tank of normal driving without the mix coming in at 20.7 MPG. She did not know the mixture was in the tank.
Don't know what effect it will have on O2 sensors and such so try at your own risk. Your mileage may very
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
NO NO idle fuel rate is 0.1gph to 0.2gph no AC and 0.3 gph AC on and yet when the rate drops to 0.1gph the scangauge really shows 200-300mpg coasting instead of 100-150mpg but for some reason the idle will not come down while the xB is moving.

Torco GP-7 synthetic 2 stroke is what I am using purple in color and it tends to take a while to start showing an MPG increase - it helps lubricate the top end and the fuel system components and stays in the fuel system for several tanks after discontinued use. From what I have heard from my brother and the 2 stroke bikes that use it - it will not harm anything and probably helps. The synthetic lube in it does not burn from what he says in the two stroke bike and ends up in the exhost systems dripping out. Use small quanties 2.5cc per 10 gallons is the recommended amount.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #30
FE nut

Quote:
NO NO idle fuel rate is 0.1gph to 0.2gph no AC and 0.3 gph AC on and yet when the rate drops to 0.1gph the scangauge really shows 200-300mpg coasting instead of 100-150mpg but for some reason the idle will not come down while the xB is moving.
My Saturn does/did the same thing. It stays at about 1500 rpm until I get completely stopped. It then drops to 550.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote