Fuel additive experiments.... - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
idle in the 900-800 range until it settles down to 650 rpm at 0.1gph.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #32
Registered Member

Hi guys...

I'm new to the forum and am finding your threads to be interesting and valuable reading. I have about 1 1/2 years of experience with acetone. I had a 2003 Nissan 350z. It had 27,000 miles when I bought it. I drive 65 miles each way to work every day. (130 mi. round trip) I am on interstate most of the way and run about 70 mph on cruise. I ran for about 4000 miles without acetone and averaged about 26 mpg on hot days (80-90 deg F) and up to 28mpg on colder days.(40-50 deg F).
At about 32,000 miles, I started adding 2 oz. of acetone per 10 gallons every time I got gas. Mileage went to 29 mpg minimum as high as 34. 20,000 miles with acetone. I base these numbers on my onboard computer.
I have had friends try acetone and some got good results others didn't. I think different engines are more efficient at vaporizing the fuel mixture than others. That is probably why some dont respond as well as others. It is the molecular clumping of the fuel that inhibits efficient combustion. The acetone acts to minimize the the tendency of the fuel molecules to clump together therefore giving much more surface area for more efficient burning. Much like kindling burns easier and at greater flash intensity than a big log.
The best thing to do is try it yourself. If it works for you great, if not, your vehicle "atomizes" the fuel pretty good already.

A convenient way to measure that I use is to buy a large bottle of Stabil. Use the Stabil for your mowers or pour it onto a full tank of gas in your vehicle. Keep the bottle to squeeze up one ounce of acetone at a time and pour it right into your tank with the long spout of the Stabil bottle. This is easy and convenient.

archangel1usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #33
Registered Member

Might want to check out the latest from LaPointe?

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/approach.htm

"The use of XYLENE (or XYLOL) revisited. Long ago I tried xylene off and on for many years without a firm conclusion. There are three types of xylene. Each structure depends on the positioning of the two methyl ions which form the meta, ortho and para isomers. The mix of all three forms is called xylol. But with careful testing recently, we found a frustrating variation in MPG when xylene is used with acetone. We came to doubt the quality of the acetone we bought and found the best place to buy pure acetone is a Sally Beauty Supply store. They are worldwide. We still use the normal 2-3 oz. acetone (technical grade) per 10 gallons but we add 2 oz. of xylene into the gasoline per 10 gallons. The final amount is the same as the acetone or 2 to 3 oz. per 10 gal. We are getting help from a Clemson University grad student testing the three forms of xylene separately. Thus far ortho looks the best. Do not use xylene in diesel fuel--not yet. Let us try it first. We know acetone works wonders in diesel at the rate of 2 oz. per 10 gallons. My 95 Neon has delivered up to 62 MPG with this slow burning fuel combination. Plus we are testing other additives such as methyl acetate and neohexane too. These additives do not all directly enter into combustion but (because of probability rules) some survive combustion to continue to break up fuel fragments halfway down the power stroke."

per 10 gallons:

2.5 oz acetone

3-4 oz xylene

.25 oz GP7

Also...the TipsBeGone acetone bottles (Walmart) with the flip tops work about the best I've found. You flip the top and can squeeze the dose in slowly. I set these in the bottom of a laundry soap bottle (cut down)...used as a tray to carry them.

I use a 32 oz 2-cycle mixing bottle to get the mix right.

I use this mix in an '87 300ZX...oldie but goodie.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #34
LDC
Registered Member

I use ee Fuel a new product , I have great results in my 1999 Jeep limited v8 awd My in town mpg was 10.0 to 10.6 in my 1st test of 10 gallons gas and 6ml of ee Fuel it went form 10.6 to 14.8 Im still using it and I hit 16.8 on the highway. I was one of the first people to get a sample bottle 4oz bottle treats 150 gallons gas, e-85, diesel or home heating oil. I put it in my lawn tractor, it runs real smooth & has more power. I am real satisfied with it. I think all that mixing and Acetone stuff is to much fo me.
LDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #35
Registered Member

Hi!
In my case the acetone was efficient: it improved about 25% the instant consumption.
My car - a Jaguar - has a 6cylinders 3600cc engine, with electronic assisted ignition.
I noticed the effect to be evident when driving out of town, especially on highway. For long trips, constant driving around 2500rpm, the instant consumption was even 35%.
And, I didn't changed the ignition timing: I presume it would help to give about 3 degrees of advance, because than the burning would start earlier and the total time of the burning process would be higher - that would mean less unburned gas going out with more power generated.
A suggestion about the engines: it might be possible for the acetone to work better when the engine is bigger or when the admission & ignition are adjusted.
Please don't forget about the remote controlled models, using basicaly acetone, or white spirit. It has to be a reason

GasSavers_raulc is offline   Reply With Quote