Fuel additive experiments.... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Fuel additive experiments....

These are some promising fuel additive mixes I want to eventually test myself.

Hoping that people with Scangauges or in car mpg readouts could try these on a test course or on regular drives to work, etc.

You test 'em...I'll use 'em!

Info is posted mostly in it's entirety as found here and there....use some common sense with these...I haven't tested any of them...but won't be afraid to when the time comes.

"In gas motor vehicles, I use 3 oz acetone, 1 oz white gas, 1/4 oz
Torco GP7, and a drop or two of Energy Release.

The best improvments are at hiway speeds and driveability."

white gas = Coleman's fuel for the most part.

For turbos:

"No I'm not selling this...but it does work.

1 quart xylene or xylol (octane boost)
6 oz Amsoil PI (cleaning, UCL)
1 oz Amsoil Gas Fuel Stabilizer
1/2 oz 100:1 2-cycle oil (UCL)

Mix in one gallon metal gas can. Pour in 1/2 full tank, and bounce car. My turbo with K-jet returns unused fuel to the tank so it mixes well.

Holy batman - full boost, not one ping.

Many of the off the shelf octane boosters contain toulene and/or xylene.
Straight, sure it's not the best thing for elastomers. That's why it's mixed
with the other stuff and the gas in the tank. Some web formulations call for a
gallon!

Xylene is used for thinning some enamel type paints, but regular new style paint thinners don't contain too much xylene"

"Think I stumbled across a combo that might help your winter mileage.

3 ounces of acetone
2 1/2 ounces of Xylene
1 ounce of Ethos FR $15.95 qt ..... $15.95 / 16 = $1.00 per 10 G

(Ethos FR costs around $.62 per 10 G if bought by the gallon)

Add this to every ten gallons of gasoline and try it out. You might have to adjust the acetone to what you were getting your best gas mileage with when you were using acetone. In my case three ounces did it for me.

Just started using this and mileage went to 21.5 on my F150. The best I could get in winter without anything was 19.0. The best in summer so far with acetone alone was 21."

"Another thing that was not mentioned when I related the Colemans
info. The fellow that told me about it was using it at a ratio of 1
oz per gallon of reg. gas. (10 oz per 10 gallons)

Some background: His cavalier quit. He was forced to use the wifes
larger Olds v8 350 for the weekly commute from Ill. to Oh. He
claimed to be able to maintain simular hi-way mileage with the Olds
by using Colemans. He regrets not being able to obtain Plain White Gas any longer, even in his job."

1994 Buick Roadmaster 5.7 L 17/25

1988 Chevy Cavelier 2.0 L 4 25/32 28% gain?

1992 Chevy Cavelier 2.2 L 4 25/36 44% gain?

"I've been using acetone for over a year and it has worked extremely well but that's not all I use.

Here's my "fuel helper" recipe. The amounts are based on 10 gallons of gasoline.

3.0 oz. acetone
3.0 oz. Coleman fuel
1.0 oz. Ethos FR
0.5 oz. Torco GP-7
0.6 oz. PRI-G"

"about a month ago i noticed that i had a few litres of mineral spirit kicking around.
So i added 500mls to my 11gal tank in my 2000 civic.

500 ml = 16.9 oz per 11 gallons

when i add 500mls or more, that tank of gas gets me better gas milege <8-12mpg>...., and when i dont use it i see a drop ?

I do the same routes every week, and i am always a very conservative driver.

i have also noted that the civic starts up faster in the morning. and the engine feels more responsive."

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
*shrug*

Jangeo has gone off acetone and stated no change using his scangauge, and dan said that ethosfr didn't do anything, and that's all the scangauge/mid data that I know of.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

What kind of increases have you seen with the acetone. I had no luck with acetone with 1, 2, 3 oz per 10 gal. I've been thinking alot about additives and my knowlege is very limited. But the fuel efficiency loss due to combustion (from what I've read) is only 2-3% in the mordern EFI engine. Coleman fuel according to the MSDS(?) is regular gas(without additives), Xylene and Toulene. This just raises octane. To increase fuel mileage I think you need to be able to extract more BTU's and not just increase octane unless your car is knocking.

I'm not giving up on additives yet but I have not found one that works yet. The increase in FE has to offset the cost and ease of mixing. Testing is just so hard with additive also because of all the condition encountered during the loaded tank.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
*shrug*

I also had no luck with acetone but I didn't have the superMID for the tanks I tried it (I axtually had lower mileage on those tanks).
Old 06-17-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I also had no luck with acetone but I didn't have the superMID for the tanks I tried it (I axtually had lower mileage on those tanks).
Did you get the super MID dialed in before the valve gave up the ghost?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
*shrug*

The valve that gave up the ghost is on the engine I was putting in, not the one in the car,

I'm getting another head and I'll swap valves though, so all will be well in the end.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
What kind of increases have you seen with the acetone. I had no luck with acetone with 1, 2, 3 oz per 10 gal. I've been thinking alot about additives and my knowlege is very limited. But the fuel efficiency loss due to combustion (from what I've read) is only 2-3% in the mordern EFI engine. Coleman fuel according to the MSDS(?) is regular gas(without additives), Xylene and Toulene. This just raises octane. To increase fuel mileage I think you need to be able to extract more BTU's and not just increase octane unless your car is knocking.

I'm not giving up on additives yet but I have not found one that works yet. The increase in FE has to offset the cost and ease of mixing. Testing is just so hard with additive also because of all the condition encountered during the loaded tank.
True. Alot of us can't advance are spark timing without going to extreme measures. That will make the differance.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have done A-B-A testing with acetone and with Ethos. No change in FE.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Jangeo has gone off acetone and stated no change using his scangauge, and dan said that ethosfr didn't do anything, and that's all the scangauge/mid data that I know of.
Well not completely true - there appears to be less really high reading on the MPG without the acetone although some is still in the tank from the 3 gallons that still had some in it. Mileage is lower for this tank average however I have been using the AC a lot more now which brings it down - looks like it is good for an additional .1gph (0.1-0.2gph idle AC off - 0.3gph AC On) I will be putting it back in maybe before the end of this tank. Tank average is about 42mpg so far mostly highway and more bad traffic on the low speed routes than usual when I usually get the really high 45-50mpg runs.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
What kind of increases have you seen with the acetone.

I've been using acetone and a few other things for about 2 yrs now. As far as what gains I've seen...I'm not really sure....since I've made other changes over this period of time.

With one car I've managed to go from a 21 mpg avg to around 28 mpg...in summer and including easier driving.

I do think SOME additives help...but this depends on the car involved...make...EFI or carbed...etc. Also it might take 2-3 tanks to see a change due to cleaning effects and needed ECU adjustments.

I use this page as evidence that acetone works...for some vehicles:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive

Some of the "testing" is so-so...some is believable.

I do understand the idea of cost effectiveness. I usually calculate out the cost per each 10 gallons to use an additive. Anything much over $1.00 per 10 gallons would have to show some really good gains.

Generally, 3 oz per 10 gallons of acetone costs about the same as 10 oz per 10 gallons of Coleman's....around $.30-$35.

Most of the commercial fuel additives seem to cost from about $1.00 per 10 gallons on up.

I have a lot of ideas for mixes I want to test....but it takes time.

I currently use 2.5 oz acetone...1 oz Coleman's...0.25 oz Torco GP7 per 10 gallons. Staying consistant with this due to other testing.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote