Fuel Line Magnet Test - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
So your exhaust was smelling

So your exhaust was smelling bad? Like what?

Old 11-11-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
*shrug*

Haha, not my exhaust, my

Haha, not my exhaust, my engine through the air vents. Smelled like melting plastic, which makes sense since that's what it was. :-)

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Gotcha.

Gotcha.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

ElectroMagnet

I've seen these magnets on the fuel lines of limos and town cars that are driven hundreds of miles a day. However, the logic behind them escapes me.
Is gasoline magnetic?
If the idea is to effect some change in the gas while it's passing through the magnetic field, shouldn't the magnetic field's strength change with the volume of gas being passed though it?
Using permanent magnets seems like a waste since they become weaker when heated(like under the hood hot) and stop when banged about, like when swinging about banging around between hoses.
Ideally the magnet should be an electro magnet with the voltage going to the core of wire wrapping varying directly with the speed of the fuel pump.
Also electro magnets are way stronger than permanent magnets, and as cheap as a spool of wire, and a few zip ties.
CruiseControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Registered Member

Alright you guys, I realize that I'm and old fart but I experimented with magnets and carbureted engines 25 years ago. I got fantistic results. I used a 1980 GMC 4X4. It had a 350CI with an auto trans. Obviously not a gas saver. I hooked up a 1 quart container to the fuel pump. I carefully measured the distance while trying to conserve fuel. I added 1 cow magnet and increased the distance by 6 blocks. Added 2 magnets and added more distance. With 3 magnets all faced the same direction I got an extra mile. I still don't know what effected the gasoline but it works.
GasSavers_HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

I'm doubtful, for too many reasons to list.

A good place to start:

http://fuelsaving.info/magnets.htm
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Hi HOTROD -

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
Alright you guys, I realize that I'm and old fart but I experimented with magnets and carbureted engines 25 years ago. I got fantistic results. I used a 1980 GMC 4X4. It had a 350CI with an auto trans. Obviously not a gas saver. I hooked up a 1 quart container to the fuel pump. I carefully measured the distance while trying to conserve fuel. I added 1 cow magnet and increased the distance by 6 blocks. Added 2 magnets and added more distance. With 3 magnets all faced the same direction I got an extra mile. I still don't know what effected the gasoline but it works.
Welcome to the site! A few years ago I went and got the cheapest fuel magnet I could buy (to mimimize my sucker exposure) for under $20. When I've used it, I haven't detected any difference in MPG , so it didn't work for me. One thing I was thinking was that the one I got didn't seem to be very strong. What I may do is make one based on a ton of smaller stackable Neodymium magnets. I would just keep stacking smaller ones around a thin metal tube leading into the fuel line. If they didn't work, then I would at least have a leftover "Bag O' Magnets" that I can use for other purposes.

I didn't know about cow magnets until you mentioned them. Were they the "big solid pill kind", maybe 4" long? How did you attach them?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
I'm thinking the only way to notice the magnet is by sitting on it.
It escapes me how normally inteligent thinking people can be fooled into thinking that magnets can improve fuel economy.

Check the science behind it , it just doesn't work.

Liquids and gasses cannot be magnetized - period (unless its quicksilver , but then thats a molten metal).

People have been wanting some magical effect from magnets for hundreds of years , and if you research it back , you will find many claims and applications that magnets do this or that ,, and even improve your health.

Yes , even those people that wear magnetic undersoles in the shoes or wear special belts around various parts of their body have been duped.

If magnetism was beneficial for your health then I must be the most healthy person in the world as I get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan every 6 months.
During this I get exposed to more magnetic radiation than anyone could achieve with those medicine magnets.
But am, I healthy ,...NO !

It is all scams , It is all scams -- do your homework first before you buy anything., but best idea of all , forget magnets.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Actually I've always wanted to fab up some sort of ACME Wile E. Coyote arm for the front of the car with a big magnet on the end of it, so I can sneak up behind a truck, extend the arm and glom on to it, then shut 'er down and relax!

Your too late , it was done in the '20's by Snub Pollard

http://www.corbismotion.com/Popups/V...2-162b772919ee

Or download the footage at:
http://www.corbismotion.com/video/C057/C057_2_5_1.mov
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
ELF
Registered Member

For me the best use of magnets is to put one in the pan on my auto tranny, also one on my oil filter. this keeps all the magnetic metal particles stuck in one place, instead of floating around where they can do damage.