Fuel Line Magnet Test - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
*shrug*

Fuel Line Magnet Test

Wow, the first test to be posted in a month. Anyway, I just got an old hard disk and I've ripped out the magnets. They've got some metal back plates on them which is good, but I need to dremel/machine some of it off. After I do that I'll wrap them up in electrical tape and throw them on someone's car and get the test going and see what happens. I'm really not sure if it'll work, but these magnets are damn strong, and I'm hoping that they do. I'll post pictures in a few of some before and along the making the magnets process, but I'll only have the before picture tonight.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
*shrug*

Before:

That's what the look like now. I'll get rid of the metal that is highlightened and then tape them up and prolly go on a two week old 2005 civic dx.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Driving on E

I'm very interested in

I'm very interested in knowing if this works or not. Look soon for a section of the board devoded to experiments and a section to easily enter results in a spreadsheet format.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

What's the theory to this

What's the theory to this experiment?

I've got eight Small Neo-dynamium Magnets sitting around...

Old 11-03-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
*shrug*

Theory is that there's

Theory is that there's something about the gasoline than can be affected by running a strong magnetic field through it. I keep forgetting about trying this. Thanks for reminding me, I need to make a wishlist...
Old 11-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Theory? Nah...

--Comments to lead you to your own conclusions...
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00019.htm

AND:

Devices Tested by EPA
The following list categorizes various types of "gas-saving" products, explains how they're used and gives product names. Those with asterisks may save measurable, but small, amounts of gas. All others have been found not to increase fuel economy.

Air Bleed Devices. These devices bleed air into the carburetor. They usually are installed in the Positive Crankcase Ventilation line or as a replacement for idle-mixture screws.

The EPA has evaluated the following products: ADAKS Vacuum Breaker Air Bleed; Air-Jet Air Bleed; Aquablast Wyman Valve Air Bleed; Auto-Miser; Ball-Matic Air Bleed; Berg Air Bleed; Brisko PCV; Cyclone-Z; Econo Needle Air Bleed; Econo-Jet Air Bleed Idle Screws; Fuel Max*; Gas Saving Device; Grancor Air Computer; Hot Tip; Landrum Mini-Carb; Landrum Retrofit Air Bleed; Mini Turbocharger Air Bleed; Monocar HC Control Air Bleed; Peterman Air Bleed; Pollution Master Air Bleed; Ram-Jet; Turbo-Dyne G.R. Valve.

Vapor Bleed Devices. These devices are similar to the air bleed devices, except that induced air is bubbled through a container of a water and anti-freeze mixture, usually located in the engine compartment.

The EPA has evaluated: Atomized Vapor Injector; Frantz Vapor Injection System; Hydro-Vac: POWERFUeL; Mark II Vapor Injection System; Platinum Gasaver; V-70 Vapor Injector; SCATPAC Vacuum Vapor Induction System: Econo-Mist Vacuum Vapor Injection System; Turbo Vapor Injection System.

Liquid Injection. These products add liquid into the fuel/air intake system and not directly into the combustion chamber.
The EPA has evaluated: Goodman Engine System-Model 1800; Waag-Injection System*.

Ignition Devices. These devices are attached to the ignition system or are used to replace original equipment or parts.
The EPA has evaluated: Autosaver; Baur Condenser; BIAP Electronic Ignition Unit; Fuel Economizer; Magna Flash Ignition Control System; Paser Magnum/Paser 500/Paser 500 HEI; Special Formula Ignition Advance Springs.

Fuel Line Devices (heaters or coolers). These devices heat the fuel before it enters the carburetor. Usually, the fuel is heated by the engine coolant or by the exhaust or electrical system.
The EPA has evaluated: FuelXpander; Gas Meiser I; Greer Fuel Preheater; Jacona Fuel System; Optimizer; Russell Fuelmiser.

Fuel Line Devices (magnets). These magnetic devices, clamped to the outside of the fuel line or installed in the fuel line, claim to change the molecular structure of gasoline.

The EPA has evaluated: PETRO-MIZER; POLARION-X; Super-Mag Fuel Extender; Wickliff Polarizer [fuel line magnet/intake air magnet].

Fuel Line Devices (metallic). Typically, these devices contain several dissimilar metals that are installed in the fuel line, supposedly causing ionization of the fuel.

The EPA has evaluated: Malpassi Filter King [fuel pressure regulator]; Moleculetor.

Mixture Enhancers (under the carburetor). These devices are mounted between the carburetor and intake manifold and supposedly enhance the mixing or vaporization of the air/fuel mixture.

The EPA has evaluated: Energy Gas Saver; Environmental Fuel Saver; Gas Saving and Emission Control Improvement Device; Glynn-50; Hydro-Catalyst Pre-Combustion Catalyst System; PETROMIZER SYSTEM; Sav-A-Mile; Spritzer; Turbo-Carb; Turbocarb.

Mixture Enhancers (others). These devices make some general modifications to the vehicle intake system.

The EPA has evaluated: Basko Enginecoat; Dresser Economizer; Electro-Dyne Superchoke; Filtron Urethane Foam Filter; Lamkin Fuel Metering Device; Smith Power and Deceleration Governor.

Internal Engine Modifications. These devices make physical or mechanical function changes to the engine.

The EPA has evaluated: ACDS Automotive Cylinder Deactivation System*; Dresser Economizer; MSU Cylinder Deactivation*.

Accessory Drive Modifiers. These devices reduce power to specific auto accessories.

The EPA has evaluated: Morse Constant Speed Accessory Drive **; P.A.S.S. Kit**; PASS Master Vehicle Air Conditioner**.

Fuels and Fuel Additives. These materials are added to the gas tank.

The EPA has evaluated: Bycosin; EI-5 Fuel Additive; Fuelon Power; Johnson Fuel Additive; NRG #1 Fuel Additive; QEI 400 Fuel Additive; Rolfite Upgrade Fuel Additive; Sta-Power Fuel Additive; Stargas Fuel Additive; SYNeRGy-1; Technol G Fuel Additive; ULX-15/ULX-15D; Vareb 10 Fuel Additive; XRG #1 Fuel Additive.

Oils and Oil Additives. Usually these materials are poured into the crankcase.

The EPA has evaluated: Analube Synthetic Lubricant; Tephguard.

Driving Habit Modifiers. These are lights or sound devices to tell the driver to reduce acceleration or to shift gears.

The EPA has evaluated: AUTOTHERM**; Fuel Conservation Device; Gastell; IDALERT**.

Miscellaneous. The EPA has evaluated: BRAKE-EZ; Dynamix; Fuel Maximiser; Gyroscopic Wheel Cover; Kamei Spoilers**; Kat's Engine Heater; Lee Exhaust and Fuel Gasification EGR; Mesco Moisture Extraction System; P.S.C.U. 01 Device; Treis Emulsifier.

* Indicated a very small improvement in fuel economy but with an increase in exhaust emissions. According to Federal regulations, installation of this device could be considered illegal tampering.

** Indicated a very small improvement in fuel economy without an increase in exhaust emissions. However, cost-effectiveness must be determined by the consumer for a particular application.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm
Old 11-04-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Driving on E

Thanks for posting this

Thanks for posting this n0rt0npr0.

I've had several problems with many of these "fuel saving devices" in the past, namely because they do not work. When tested under controlled conditions nothing happens when these devices are installed.

On the flipside no one drives under "controlled conditions." I think the best way to test these devices is not in a laboratory, but in the real world. Keeping as many factors constant as possible yet still driving like a normal person.

I guess that is why this site exists.

Slowly but surely many of these devices will be tested and a wealth of information will exist to help future consumers when they want to increase their fuel economy.

Considering the relatively low cost of doing this experiment I can see it as one of the next things for me to do. I have a bunch of old hard drives that no longer work that I can take the magnet out of and try to see if there is a difference or not.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
*shrug*

Threw some magnets on

Threw some magnets on tonight, we shall see, I say!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #9
FE nut

I guess I'm going to have to

I guess I'm going to have to track down some GOOD magnets and give this a try. I don't think the ones on my fridge would have enogh power to make it worth the time ;-)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
*shrug*

I switched the tape on mine

I switched the tape on mine cuz I used electrical tape again and it smelled like all hell again, so that made me think the IAT experiment smell was the damn tape, and lo and behold, threw the IAT resistor back in and now that's going again, woo.