Has anyone thought of using 4 'donut' tires? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Lightbulb Has anyone thought of using 4 'donut' tires?

I'm not sure if this has been proposed for an experiment in the past, but I'll ask anyways:

Has anyone tried replacing all 4 of their tires with the skinny "donut" tires that can be inflated to 75psi? Almost all donut tires are designed to last over 5,000km (3,100 miles) yet they are rarely used and can be found in junk yards for a song and dance.

Makes me think of how easy it is to pedal speed bikes with the skinny tires compared to the thick tires of mountain bikes. The thinner tires might improve aerodynamics too?

- Peakster

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Ours Not as Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster
I'm not sure if this has been proposed for an experiment in the past, but I'll ask anyways:

Has anyone tried replacing all 4 of their tires with the skinny "donut" tires that can be inflated to 75psi? Almost all donut tires are designed to last over 5,000km (3,100 miles) yet they are rarely used and can be found in junk yards for a song and dance.

Makes me think of how easy it is to pedal speed bikes with the skinny tires compared to the thick tires of mountain bikes. The thinner tires might improve aerodynamics too?

- Peakster
That is a good idea, but from my experience with do-nut spares, the recommended distance is to last 50 miles and the speed is limited to 45 mph. I wore one out once because I had to work over a Holiday weekend and the tire stores were closed. The tread was nearly gone over about 125 miles and 55-60 mph.

I have wanted a lighter tire and less of a footprint to propel, but it just seems to be cost-ineffective right now.

RH77

Old 09-29-2006, 03:49 AM   #3

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/

Portawalls would work, you would need wheels though, could be a challenge.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Changing to a significantly narrower tyre than what the car came with when new could encur fines from those blue guys and in some places ANY deviation from standard can get you a defect notice.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

I think you would need to see how much it would increase the rpms for a given speed and see how that would affect the FE. The increase in RPM might cancel the other benifets.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

I think 2 donuts in the rear might help a bit and be safer.

plus it would be easier to make rear wheel skirts

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

MMM -- donuts
Old 09-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hi theclencher -¨and one pair of smaller and really skinny tires¨

In many countires missmatched tyres like this would result in a defect notice and/or a fine.
It may be law , but perhaps the cops may not be eager (or observant) to chase it up.

I remember our local chineese resturaunt owner had a brand NEW Benz , and he had some after market (but very high quality) mags and tyres fitted.
Perhaps it was racially motivated , perhaps not , but a cop stopped him and defected his car , giving him 7 days to change back to original equipment or go unregistered.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Registered Member

Okmulgee, Ok. is the only place in my life where Ive seen 4 donut tires on cars. You see this from the welfare crowd. its there last chance effort to stay ,oble around here. And it dosent last long.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

U.S. not so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Changing to a significantly narrower tyre than what the car came with when new could encur fines from those blue guys and in some places ANY deviation from standard can get you a defect notice.
I've seen cars that look like skateboards, Caprices with 22-inch chrome wheels, racing-only tires on the street, dark tint, etc. It seems like around here either you've committed a crime, look like a drug car, or are speeding to get busted. For state inspections (50-states, 50 different methods, some states no inspection at all) -- just take in the stock wheels (or here get a shop you know will pass you). The Police is generally pretty busy with other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
Geez- I thought our cops were ******!
Police Officers are out there putting their lives on the line, so I see it a bit differently.

RH77