HHO vs water vapor injection - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Registered Member

Can HHO and water injection both be used on any car? I just recently found out about this site and these things are very intriguing to me. I had a few questions about what actually does work and cost. I'm no engineer or chemist so I read through some of the posts that you guys made and seems like both are great things. But since you guys are more experienced in these matters i was curious about your opinions if you have tried both. Also if you ever heard about Stan Meyer and his inventions, I dont know enough to make an informed opinion about whether he was legit or not seems he was along the right path. But his plans were supposedly all put on the internet now that he died. Have any of you researched those and tried to apply his ideas or plans to making a device similar to his?

Sorry Im all over the place with this subject because I'm new and I just have tons of questions.

JohnBeLaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #12
Registered Member

www.aquatune.com has a lot of glowing testimonials. I tried the system on my 1979 Cutlass, with no change in power (by 1/4 mile) or mpg. However, I was using a throw-fuel-at-it-whether-it-needs-it-or-not Edelbroke carb and a cheap dist that has sticky advance weights, so I'm not ready to write off the system.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

WOW $600 for it though and $400 to install if you ant do it yourself... I'm more interested in something somewhat affordable for those type of results. I mean to have someone like flapdoodle, who obviously knows his stuff, build one from the jars or whatever probably would be a more honest and affordable product. I'd rather go about a path like that.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Registered Member

eww aquatune.

I had bad luck with them
ProtonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

That is very kind of you. Thanks.
I started a new page on water injection. Note that I am not an expert on this.
http://flapdoodledinghy.com/H2O_injection.html

So far I am very pleased with it.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
Registered Member

Flap lol it just seems you know your stuff is all. When I look at all this I get kinda confused and dont wanna even bother trying it. What about those hho bottles is there a cheap one that can be ordered or has anyone made an effective one that would be willing to help make one or make one and ship it?
Old 04-17-2008, 03:45 AM   #17
Registered Member

I found when messing with water injection that finding a reliable valve that will shutdown enough to flow a reasonable amount of water is not easy to do....serious needle valves are costly...best bet is a model airplane engine valve. Valves tend to clog...as gas mower engine filter can be used to clean the water.

Found that running 1 qt of water into a 1.5L engine over 50 miles didn't kill it and cleaned the rings well enough to reduce oil usage until the next change. I was using MMOil as a top oil.

After getting the flow down to around 2% (2% of expected fuel use) I saw no increase in mpg and a loss of power when testing time from 25 to 55 mph in 5th gear.

Wanted to try wrapping the exhaust with a copper tube and running it thru that...but never did.

I do now run a pint of water thru the engine and flush the oil with a pint of kerosene each oil change.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:24 AM   #18
Registered Member

Did you lean out the AFR? The idea is to use WI to prevent predetination under lean conditions. Ricers use WI with high boost and high compression to increase the power without destroying the motor. Most use a pump system with misting nozzles at WOT though. The latest trick is to use larger injectors and run E85 with a rich fuel map. MPG sucks, but they can make a lot of power.

Why not just use a venturi vaccuum to pull water mist in directly in front of the throttle plate? Meter the amount by the jet size. Just look at the venturi's on a big Holley. So at idle there will be no flow, at WOT max flow, at part throttle part water flow. Makes sense to me. Then of course lean out your AFR.

Really, NO WI or HHO injection system will gain anything unless you can control the AFR. Unless you just want to keep your pistons clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post
I found when messing with water injection that finding a reliable valve that will shutdown enough to flow a reasonable amount of water is not easy to do....serious needle valves are costly...best bet is a model airplane engine valve. Valves tend to clog...as gas mower engine filter can be used to clean the water.

Found that running 1 qt of water into a 1.5L engine over 50 miles didn't kill it and cleaned the rings well enough to reduce oil usage until the next change. I was using MMOil as a top oil.

After getting the flow down to around 2% (2% of expected fuel use) I saw no increase in mpg and a loss of power when testing time from 25 to 55 mph in 5th gear.

Wanted to try wrapping the exhaust with a copper tube and running it thru that...but never did.

I do now run a pint of water thru the engine and flush the oil with a pint of kerosene each oil change.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxgraphix View Post

Why not just use a venturi vaccuum to pull water mist in directly in front of the throttle plate? Meter the amount by the jet size. Just look at the venturi's on a big Holley. So at idle there will be no flow, at WOT max flow, at part throttle part water flow. Makes sense to me. Then of course lean out your AFR.
I have been thinking the same thing- venturi vacuum wil be low at idle and high at high load/flow- perfect for WI. This will work well for my carb- but do throttle bodies have venturi vacuum?
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:14 AM   #20
Registered Member

Not all have them. On the Holley 4160 for example, the older ones don't, the newer ones do. The connection below the plate is venturi vacuum, the one above is to the distributor advance.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...199R8108-2.pdf

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote