How many of you are running hot air intakes? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

How many of you are running hot air intakes?

So far I removed the tubing so Im sure its sucking in hot air now, I heard hot air reduces the power but helps fuel economy. Im just going to remove the lid all together I think. Your thoughts on sucking in hot air?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

Given the lower MPG i just saw yesterday with rain and a 20 deg lower IAT, I think that the warm air is better for FE. Hard to say for sure, because I was dealing with heavy rains at times too, but the IAT was much lower on the trip were 23.3mpg was had, rather than the previous 26.6 on a sunny day with higher IAT.

jeffreymccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

I run full hot air in winter only...then I think it helps some.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Three6Eight -

This would have made a great poll. I am running an HAI. Different drivetrains will have different responses. It has worked for almost all the Saturn S-Series owners (thanks cheapybob!).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymccoy View Post
Given the lower MPG i just saw yesterday with rain and a 20 deg lower IAT, I think that the warm air is better for FE. Hard to say for sure, because I was dealing with heavy rains at times too, but the IAT was much lower on the trip were 23.3mpg was had, rather than the previous 26.6 on a sunny day with higher IAT.
Rain really eats into FE so its going to be hard to get a good feel for the 20deg change alone. For me I've seen 3-8mpg loss on heavy rain trips.

I may be seeing an affect from the recent cooler air intake temperatures as well. Although I suspect its something else thats being affected by the 30deg lower temps besides intake air.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Supporting Member

I'm running the HAI. Saturns like it. I'd say that other GM cars would also. It uses MAP sensor in stead of MAF. My little brother tried the HAI in his nissan altima. It would do well at first and then the ECU would adjust for the hot air and the mileage would stay the same.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have used hot air before with fairly good results (saturn), but I think it has the best results in the winter.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #8

Today I did a little test, with the intake hose and lid on driving steady state 55mph the intake temperature was at 31 degrees C. Taking those off and driving for 10 min to get it stable it was reporting 32 degrees C. So on a Metro there isn't much difference in running the stock hose and lid and not running it. There just isn't much heat under the hood normally so it is still getting colder air.

I might try hooking my warm air setup back on there adjusting it trying to get a good temperature going into the intake but I have no idea what ideal air temperature should be. When I was running straight into the mainfold it killed my mileage so I know having it super hot is no good.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
Today I did a little test, with the intake hose and lid on driving steady state 55mph the intake temperature was at 31 degrees C. Taking those off and driving for 10 min to get it stable it was reporting 32 degrees C. So on a Metro there isn't much difference in running the stock hose and lid and not running it. There just isn't much heat under the hood normally so it is still getting colder air.

I might try hooking my warm air setup back on there adjusting it trying to get a good temperature going into the intake but I have no idea what ideal air temperature should be. When I was running straight into the mainfold it killed my mileage so I know having it super hot is no good.
Hey man so your the guy who owns that Metro Page. When I got mines its one of the first sites I ran into.

What spark plugs would you reccomend for this car? Wires? Today I was driving and my car felt like it had 10 horsepower and it was idling bad I thought it was ready to hit its death bed I popped the hood and a spark plug wired just disconnected and I put it back on, its on there loose though so Im gonna replace them

I tried joining the swift page I actually tried twice and twice they rejected me. Bunch of elitists or what?

Nice stable you there dude. You got the Z28 and the Metro for the days you wanna save gas. Cool combo

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

On my VX i have a short-ram intake, which in affect is a HAI. I haven't been able to get my old EPA on my car yet so I'm not sure if it really makes a difference.

That being said, this intake is a lot larger than the factory one, and it has a diry k&n filter on the end...so probably not a good comparison

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote