How to clean your EGR Ports on 88-91 Crx HF - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: How to clean your EGR Ports on 88-91 Crx HF

Just to update my last post. I just set the plugs on top of the holes and used BLACK rtv glue to make them stick. That black stuff gets HARD. Also, YOU ARE WASTING TIME IF YOU DON'T TAKE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD OFF! The egr passage inside the head is more than likely clogged as well. I must have broke apart an ungodly amount of crud from the egr provision on the back of the head until it actually stopped retaining carb cleaner. I bought an o-ring pick/scribe to get up in there. A coat hanger and a screw driver did NOT work. It was so hard I had to HAMMER it out of there. I just fixed my EGR issue and it did not solve my cutting out problem. It sounds like I have a fuel related issue. I hope I helped somebody further in the quest of cleaning the egr ports on an HF.

shag wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: How to clean your EGR Ports on 88-91 Crx HF

do anyone know if the EGR Ports on the HF the same as the automatic ones? i have an auto crx and my car seems to misfire, or jerk, or hesitate whatever you want to call it and even when idles its studderes too so i want to clean the port or think that the ports are clogged up and i just want to make sure that the automatic ones are the same as the HF.

adamher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

If your car has an EGR valve then yes it has these same ports. Thanks aznative for posting your NPT plugs in HF intake manifold allow for future cleanouts. Is anyone out there currently running a HF and are looking to install NPT plugs in their ports? I have a HF manifold I need to get rid of. I'd sell it for $25. If you bought it you could sent it to the machine shop for the NPT plugs installation, that way it'd be ready to go and you could just swap out the manifold on a weekend, minimize down time. I am doing this very thing on my VX.
PuddleSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

Very nice, I will be attempting this very soon. I have a check engine light for my egr valve and hope to increase my fuel economy. After the plugs are removed, where do you get new ones from? Or is the passage just left open and sealed at the top?
WidmersRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: How to clean your EGR Ports on 88-91 Crx HF

I'm late to the party and a new member, but I just wanted the posters, and those who shared pics and good info to know how appreciated their work is. I will be doing this to my VX tommorow: I just got it past emissions test (when engine was cold) but it's still not good and needs this. Whole manifold's coming off. The VX is one of the best cars ever made and I can't wait to get it going good again. Thanks guys!!

VXonFumes is offline   Reply With Quote