How-To: Intermittent wipers in a Honda CX/VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Exclamation How-To: Intermittent wipers in a Honda CX/VX

Here's my attempt at a How-To for those owners of the Honda Civic CX/VX that want intermittent wipers.

Parts Needed:
-ICU (Integrated Control Unit) from a DX/EX model Civic
-Intermittent wiper stalk from a DX/EX coupe (since the CX/VX doesn't have the rear wiper)

*DISCLAIMER*Attempt this modification at your own risk. I will not be held responsible if you hurt or kill yourself doing this. While this a simple process, anytime you mess with electricity and airbags, you must be careful. (I stole some of the pictures from a beeper delete how-To on H-T.com due to the fact that I'm not going to pull everything apart on my car to take pictures) *DISCLAIMER*

First, as always, disconnect the negative battery cable under the hood.

Remove the lower dash cover from under the steering column to reveal the fuse box.

Remove the two 10mm bolts on either side.

Disconnect the connectors as shown. (this can be optional depending on the flexibility of the wiring harness)

Gently, rotate the fuse box around to you can gain access to the back of it. Remove the connector shown on the far left of the picture below.

Rotate the fuse box around a little more and remove the ICU from the back of the fuse box. You have to pry on either side to get it to come loose. It is easier if you pry from the end opposite the connector you removed earlier.

Installation of the intermittent ICU is reverse of removal. you can now put the fuse block back together and re-install the lower dash cover.

Now you can remove the steering column cover by removing the three highlighted screws and pulling down the lower cover. Be sure to pull the right side out to clear the ignition cylinder. This will pop apart the top and lower column cover.

Turn the steering wheel clockwise 90 degrees to expose the two screws holding on the wiper stalk. Unscrew the two highlighted screws.

Slide out the wiper stalk and unplug the harness on the back. Then install the intermittent stalk in the reverse order.

Put the covers back on in the reverse order and you're set to enjoy intermittent wipers!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

Great work TomO!

Now to find the parts, & get wrenching.

Any issues changing ICU's? I'm not sure of all it controls.

Found my answer on page 23-160 of my Service Manual.
The ICU controls the bulb check circuit, (brake system light), seat belt reminder & key-on beeper circuit + intermittent wiper circuit on some models.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I got the parts and just did the upgrade. Very satisfying! And if I can do it everyone can, so it is definitely recomendable, especially with fall coming up.
I actually managed to skip having to unplug anything from the fusebox but instead crawled on the floor and just disconnected the connector from the ICU itself and the ICU came loose fast enough by prying at the opposite end of the connector like Tom already suggested.
The scariest part really was to get the top and bottom part of the steering wheel cover to seperate. I'm always scred to break of a plastic piece, but it went fine with putting a bit more force on it. All in all thanks to this manual it went perfectly and we have one more VX with intermittent wipers
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Congrats, McPatrick!

Just a forewarning...Come this February, the pictures might go down for a bit. It seems that Imagestation is going to be closing and I'll need to find a new image host.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

Great install. Can't wait to get a VX or CX to do this.
smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

I'm changing my fuse box out this weekend because mine has a short in it from a burned fuse. I got one from a junkyard but not sure what trim it is off of. But whats the likelyhood its off another VX. I better stop talking. i just need to go back and get the wiper stalk.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Can't wait to do this mod. I'm so sick of having to manually make mine intermittent. Just sold some stuff this week, so I think it's time to treat myself at the junkyard this weekend! YAY!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Good luck finding what you need.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
VX trainee

Thanks again to TomO....for taking the time to take pics and share this mod with us.

By far the easiest "upgrade" I've done on my VX...I'd already replaced the wiper stalk because the OEM was shot...just happened to be an INT wiper stalk that I bought on eBay.

I pried the ICU loose and snapped the replacement one in, tightened the fusebox mounting screws, done!
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
Registered Member

I did mine in the Summer, then it didn't rain for 3 months!
Now I'm enjoying intermittent wiping goodness every day.