Hypermiling on a scooter - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hypermiling on a scooter

So did anybody try? I'm going to try doing some on mine, (instead of driving it normaly), and see what happens..the thing take very very little throttle to keep its 50 kmh sweet spot..and if I choose the good streets I can safely do it.

I'm now averaging 70 MPG, aiming for 80 on this tank!

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I'm noticing that I'm able to coast in more places than I used to be able to in my car. I'm paying more attention to the idiot drivers on the road right now but when I get some free brain cell time I look for places I can coast!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've put 1800+ miles on my 250 scooter since March 26, 2008.
I fillup the tank every 150-170 mile or so, usually I put in 2 gallon, 2.2 at the most when I delayed the fillup until 180 miles.

Just last Friday, I filled up when the tripmeter has accumulated 153 miles and to my surprise, the fillup only took 1.6 gal.

I have closing the throttle and costing down hills whenever I felt possible.

I even turn off the engine and coast to traffic lights when I know they are going to stay red for a while. I start the engine back up once the traffic starts to move again (not when the light turns green).

90% of the engine operating time is cruising at 30-55 mph, I rarely get above 60 mph.

I weigh 150-160 lb. when dressed for riding with my helmet/gloves on.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Today I shut off the engine when coasting..only to realise it still uses fuel as the engine is turned by the belt, thus still sucking in gas and air.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
Today I shut off the engine when coasting..only to realise it still uses fuel as the engine is turned by the belt, thus still sucking in gas and air.
I don't know about the details, but it seems to me that my engine is not doing the conbusting when I turn off the ignition and coast. Without spark, no combustion, seems to me the engine still suck in fuel and air but most of the excess fuel and air is likely returning to the carb via hoses and vents to charcoal canister.. or outside air... not burned up and out as exhaust.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #6

cat0020
I see you made it over here from Scootdawg forums.
A couple of things.
First change you scooter profile from gasoline to Motocycle. Other wise it will put you close to the top (2nd right now) of the list of Top Ten. This tends to offend some cagers
I question the EOC (Engine off coast) of the scooter because of the CVT also. On my scooter it back drives the engine quit a bit untill a real slow speed. Plus to restart I have to have the break on. This is fine if you time it right so you stop at the light. If you screw up like I did you have to hit the break to restart when the light turns green and every one else wants to go.
ron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hitting the brakes while coasting is no biggie for my scooter, I don't have to squeeze the brake hard to activate the brake light switch that allows the starter button to function, just tapping the brake lever would activate the switch on my scoot.

My CVT keeps the engine rpm up until about 15 mph.. that usually allow the scoot to coast for another 100 ft. or so.. at times, the traffic light would change even before I come to a complete stop, so I would have the brake on anyway.. just turn key and hit start button and off I go.

I have my engine valves adjusted to allow very easy start, so the starter is working minimal when starting the engine, I don't even hit the buttom for 1/2 a second for the engine to turn over on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron22 View Post
I question the EOC (Engine off coast) of the scooter because of the CVT also. On my scooter it back drives the engine quit a bit untill a real slow speed. Plus to restart I have to have the break on. This is fine if you time it right so you stop at the light. If you screw up like I did you have to hit the break to restart when the light turns green and every one else wants to go.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
Registered Member

I doubt I'll ever break 80 mpg on the motorized bike. It's too rapped out at speed to do much better, but I have yet to install my kill switch, so no EOC'ing to stops or down hills for me yet.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020 View Post
I don't know about the details, but it seems to me that my engine is not doing the conbusting when I turn off the ignition and coast. Without spark, no combustion, seems to me the engine still suck in fuel and air but most of the excess fuel and air is likely returning to the carb via hoses and vents to charcoal canister.. or outside air... not burned up and out as exhaust.
Mine is a 2 stroke, basicly the only thing changing with the engine off is the ignition, I'm pretty the engine still suck in gas as it's just a normal carb.

It sucks too that I have to press the brake to start the engine, I would stop the engine at stop lights if I didn't have to do that.