idle warm-up experiment - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
*shrug*

Quote:By the way, I

Quote:
By the way, I installed the OEM version that I ordered from my dealer. I've been accused of overpaying
I hope this wasn't me, I think it was a good deal actually, y0!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Quote:By the way, I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
By the way, I installed the OEM version that I ordered from my dealer. I've been accused of overpaying
I hope this wasn't me, I think it was a good deal actually, y0!
Hmmm, let me think back, I can't remember -- wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
Hmm, 40 bucks = a lot. I think I might go for a dipstick one. There's one on ebay now for 10 shipped. :P
;-)

Just bustin' your chops. I probably could've gotten one online cheaper, but I couldn't find one for my year specifically (even though I'm sure the B18B1 block is the same over the years). I went to the dealer, got the OEM version and the service guy was nice enough to print-out the mechanic's install diagrams with all of the bolt sizes and torque specs.

To answer all the questions:

*It was $42 + Tax
*The heater element goes into the coolant drain (frost) plug of the engine block (which is a buggah to get off, by the way).
*It doesn't circulate the coolant, but it heats the coolant in the jacket and the block itself. Basically, I imagine the heated coolant to flow immediately at startup and homogenize to get everything up to temp rapidly.
*The heating element is 110-Volts AC. Basically, the element is like a stovetop coil on the end, and has a heavy-duty rubber boot where the wiring harness plugs into. The harness then routes to the air dam where it can be plugged into a wall-socket via extension cord.
*All of the zip-ties, harness tubing, even a rubber pad for the harness to rest on a coolant return line was included. Also, it has a little cap to cover the plug so it doesn't get corroded. Surprisingly, it's hardly noticeable.
*I'm also taking comfort in the fact that warm fluids are available on cold-starts to reduce friction in the first 5 minutes of operation (since I don't warm-up, that would include the auto-trans and oil delivery system).

RH77

Old 01-31-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
Registered Member

I think this mod and 2 more

I think this mod and 2 more psi in the tires might push me to 30mpg average mixed. I hate the fact that in the morning my car is cold.

Is there any DC power Engine block heaters? My car is parked away far from the house.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

DC - Not Enough Juice

I park at the airport for extended periods with no AC plug, so I looked into the same thing. Unfortunatley, to generate the heat required would take a LOT of DC Voltage, something that a car battery or solar panels wouldn't provide. There's a device on the market that like a little generator that runs on gasoline, but it's like $1600 -- It seems like a counter-productive luxury item for toasty starts.

I've struggled with the same problem, and I don't really have a solution. The only thing I can thing of is to get a small AC generator, and have it start via a servo via a cell-phone call (like some remote start systems), and use the traditional EBH. But those have substantial weight, and could also be counter-productive.

RH77
Old 02-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Driving on E

THis thread has inspired me

THis thread has inspired me to get an inline circulating block heater for my wife. She drives to work every day at 5:40am and never gets the full effect of the heater (if any effect at all).

Her having hot air AND wasting less gas is way worth it IMHO.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:Her having hot air AND

Quote:
i've always said that even if my block heater was a "net zero gain" as far as energy use (consuming electricity to save gasoline) OR for saving money, i'd still use it for the comfort factor and also because it reduces wear from starting a (very) cold engine.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

Re: Quote:Her having hot air AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
i've always said that even if my block heater was a "net zero gain" as far as energy use (consuming electricity to save gasoline) OR for saving money, i'd still use it for the comfort factor and also because it reduces wear from starting a (very) cold engine.
I echo that sentiment. It's just worked out for the better in so many ways.

RH77
Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Heater wattage??

Hey guys what is the wattage of these block heaters. If in the couple of hundred watts then a simple inverter could do the trick off the battery or a spare battery - which you would charge off solar cells or the car alternator when decellerating or going down hill when excess voltage is present even run it off the brake lights with a relay because loading the alternator when stopping or stopped makes better use of the gas you are burning anyway. Next you setup a smart timer for those long airport parking intervals and have it turn on an hour before you return even if it is a week away or the next morning. There are also 12 volt remote control relays available for parked outside the house use.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Registered Member

mine's a 300 watt deal.

mine's a 300 watt deal.

so if you wanted to use it for 1.5 hrs on a 12v source you'd need 300w / 12v * 1.5 hrs = 37.5 amp hours.

is my math right?

that's running it straight off the battery though. if you used an inverter, it would take even more power due to conversion losses.

my deep cycle boat battery is rated at 75 amp hours capacity, so, yes i guess you could use up half the battery's capacity to preheat the engine.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:18 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
300 watts

Yup the math is correct and the inverter is going to add some losses You should look at the temperature rise as a function of time like the idle test you did to see what gives the most increase per watt hour of energy by the heater. This will give you the rate of heat loss of the engine. Maybe you could run a bunch of smaller 12 volt batteries in series instead of the inverter and get a little less voltage and watts into the heater but still have it help. Now you are starting to see the power of gasoline vs electricity. Anyone for an engine blanket??? Maybe a fully insulated engine compartment. Another idea would be an insulated tank with extra coolant that you heat up while driving then with a valve seal off from the motor. When you get back in the car you dump the still hot water back into the motor an poof instant heat. No extra energy used and if you want use the block heater on the insulated tank. Man what a great idea huh? Only would take a few gallons of storage - a small hot water heater would work.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote