Is HHO the way to go? - Page 25 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #241
Registered Member

Pwm

Well, now I'm a lil upset. my pwm fried. I paid $200 for it, and it overheated and burnt up inside. Gowsh Darn it. I was only running my unit at 15 AMPS. go figure.

Why can't it just be plug it in with an adapter and be done. Like phones are and everything else.

Billman2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #242
Registered Member

Is HHO the way to go?

Sorry to hear about the PWM, but you have to remember that all these tings are being made by a single person for the most part and there are bound to be problems allong the way. I have heard of allot of PWM's blowoing up, usually its one of the capacitors (youtube Zerofossilfuel had his own prototype blow a cap. on video). It souns like you were making progress on the MAP enhancer, may I suggest you disconnect the battery to reset the vehicle to stock and then play with the MAP enhancer, you may get better results.

speedofmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #243
Registered Member

Ya, I was getting results and the PWM got so hot. This one is current controlled.
I'm guessing they get really hot if you have too much baking soda in the thing as I loaded it up quit a bit, and then the amps wanted to go up and the pwm wouldn't let it. So that is my guess.

I HAVE THE diagram on how it was built, I just need to know the parts and i could start building them myself. as it looks like it is $20 in parts lol.

I am hoping next week I can continue my expirements.

I wish I had someone in North Dakota to help me out with this.

I think I'm going to just find the right electrolite to use for under the amount of AMPS i want, and then when it warms up, i'll tell it to use this many amps and not to go past it. Maybe that will work, I dunno. Will find out soon enough I guess.

I didn't think the amount of electrolite mattered with a pwm anymore once you had thaat part installed.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #244
Registered Member

Right now I have a ELM327 scan tool. and I have a Map sensor, however I can't find any software to read my MPG.

anyone/?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #245
Registered Member

Map / Efie

Just wondering abotu the MAP Enhancer and O2 sensor mod.

I am going to do the O2 extender instead of an EFIE.

Now, on how this works?

the Map Enhancer is for when the computer goes into open loop mode? it doesn't affect anything on closed loop? or is it vice versa.

The 02 extender affects the closed loop mode?

Having trouble understanding, if your suppose to run on closed loop, why use a Map enhancer?

And...

when i'm on closed loop, why does my map enhancer still make a difference?

Thanks,

Will
Old 11-12-2008, 03:32 AM   #246
Registered Member

the way I understand it is that:

in closed loop, the ECU looks at both sensors
in open loop, the ECU ignores the o2 sensor and uses an internal fuel curve

in open loop, you usually run more gas because usually open loop is requiring more power from the engine. that is a big reason that we like to stay away from open loop around here. for example. in closed loop, I run an a/f ratio of 14.7 (like most cars do) If I punch it, my a/f ratio goes to 12.5 or so. doesn't seem like much but it makes a big difference.

also remember that the o2 extendors just take the o2 sensors out of the direct path of the exhaust and have not worked for everyone. you may want to read up on them before going through all the trouble.

I also recomend doing other mods to your car that will help mileage. so many people think that HHO will do so much for their mileage that they don't even consider a scangauge, warm air intake, grill block, just pumping up tire air pressure.

and thanks for updating your gas log. that looks more like the civic you describe.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #247
Registered Member

It works !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
It's actually worse than that, not only is electrolysis not super efficient, but the energy you're using for the electrolysis is created by an alternator that's not all that efficient which is driven by the explosion of your hyrdogen... etc.

You'd be lucky if your MPG only dropped by 1/4 instead of by 1/2.

The only way I'll ever be convinced that Hydrogen is truly special is if there's a cheap DIY way to build a device that can harness it and store it through solar energy and in that way just have my own at home refueling station. Until this can be done and proven cheaper than just a regular electric solar panel charging a battery, then this will remain a useless technology.

As you said in your initial post there is no good way to distribute H, there's no really good way to create it (the purely green ways are not very efficient) and in the end it's only being used as a substitute for using a battery. Espeically in a fuel cell car, they're not magical they're just using H as a medium to transport and store electricity... and you know what? Batteries are FAR more effiecient.
16 MPG to 24 MPG 2008 F-150

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Cozby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #248
Registered Member

Thanks

ya, I want that civic to do better, you said warm air intake?

is having the air warmer better? In north Dakota, the winters get cold.
But I'm trying here.

Anyways, you know of a way to have the air heated up besides sticking a blow dryer in their? lol.

I should have my pwm back next week.

Thanks

Also, what other mods are you thinking about that can be done? thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 AM   #249
Registered Member

what you do is plug the inlet of your air box and make a new inlet into the engine bay. you can further heat the air by routing ducting to the exhaust manifold. my temps have seen 179 degrees at the highest.

I would suggest if you want to find out what works and what doesn't, read up on some peoples garages. there are several people that have done many things to better their mileage. some of it works and some of it doesn't. most people are very honest when it comes to gas logs and garage entries. I put down everything I have done so as to not repeat the past. remember also though, just because it did/didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't/will work for someone else. basically, results may vary.

there are several threads where people show indepth how to make a WAI for your car. they are all home-brews. it is not an aftermarket thing. mine cost me all of about $10 and that is because I had to buy some metal flashing that comes in a 10 foot roll and I needed about a foot of it.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #250
Registered Member

Hho

Just wondering, what all do you hve to do to a grill, to make it run on hydrogen ?? as in a BBQ grill. Thanks