Isopropyl Alcohol - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #41
Registered Member

In some cases people get slightly better mpg using a top lube...and it can't hurt to be safer than sorrier? Nice phrase eh?

2 oz is 1/2 what MMOil bottle says to use. Question mark is because I'm asking a question as much as supplying an answer.

Acetone and iso are used to clean oils from things in the lab and elsewhere...so they do strip surfaces of oils.

I always use a top lube when testing water alcohol injection or most homebrewed fuel additives. Since Iso-HEET contains a top oil..maybe you should take a hint?

Understand...whether you test iso or not is your decision...if I claim something works...it's up to you to test or not to test. I just went through this kind of thing on another forum because I FORGOT the cardinal rule of mpg testing...DON'T mention additives or other methods around the virgins...they'll throw a fit...like you are trying to sell them drugs or something. Best to just let them pay the high gas prices and enjoy their ignorance.

Usually I don't run into too much of this on forums involved with mpg testing...this one can be an exception.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Yep, a hair under 150K miles. IMO key to pump longevity is changing fuel filters on schedule (if it's sensible like 18-24mo or 30K, if longer than that do it at least every 2 years.) or as required, when your pump starts to get louder it's probably new filter time.

Shoot, I probably could have made it last longer then... When I bought The Beast, I bought it used from a GMC dealer, 6 years old with 109,000 miles on it for $12,000. This was great because I initially went in there to buy a new truck with nothing but a/c and cruise. I figured after rebates and 0% financing I could have it for about $14,000. They had just taken the beast in on trade the day before, and it had everything except for OnStar and Leather seats. Of course I wanted the truck with everything. Anyway, at that point you could hear the fuel pump. Having never owned a fuel injected vehicle before I didn't know that this was not normal. I drove it for 41,000 miles with it whining all the way. Now that it has a new fuel pump in it I have to listen very carefully to hear the pump. The dealer did a lot of maintenance on it before i bought it, I thought a fuel filter was one of the items serviced, I'll have to double check my paperwork to make sure. Sounds like just to be safe I should probably replace the fuel filter anyway at this point.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #43
Registered Member

If you can hear it and it's steady... it's probably gonna get quiet and last quite a while longer when you put a new filter in, if you can hear it and it's warbling wooooOOOoooooOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOoooOOOoooooooo then it's probably gonna go real soon. But if you leave it sounding loud, it's gonna go unsteady in a shortish while and die soon after that.

Edit: Sometimes you get a "one chance to get home" if it does quit by pounding on the bottom of the tank while someone jiggles the key until you get the "wooop" of it priming and then you should be okay for a short trip home or to a garage.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
If you can hear it and it's steady... it's probably gonna get quiet and last quite a while longer when you put a new filter in, if you can hear it and it's warbling wooooOOOoooooOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOoooOOOoooooooo then it's probably gonna go real soon. But if you leave it sounding loud, it's gonna go unsteady in a shortish while and die soon after that.

Edit: Sometimes you get a "one chance to get home" if it does quit by pounding on the bottom of the tank while someone jiggles the key until you get the "wooop" of it priming and then you should be okay for a short trip home or to a garage.

That's what I did the day it died... I was out running errands picking up parts to fix some equipment at work. I went to leave the first stop, and the truck would not start. Then my cell phone rang... It was my maintenance guy. I thought he was going to ask how long till I was back, but instead he was informing me that EPA had just shown up for a suprise inspection... and my truck would not start. I ended up banging on the tank with a hammer for 15 minutes with the key on until I heard the pump fire up. I then finished my errands, not shutting the truck off until I was able to get to the nearest GM dealer about 2 hours later.

-Jay

Old 07-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA View Post
In some cases people get slightly better mpg using a top lube...and it can't hurt to be safer than sorrier? Nice phrase eh?

2 oz is 1/2 what MMOil bottle says to use. Question mark is because I'm asking a question as much as supplying an answer.

Acetone and iso are used to clean oils from things in the lab and elsewhere...so they do strip surfaces of oils.

I always use a top lube when testing water alcohol injection or most homebrewed fuel additives. Since Iso-HEET contains a top oil..maybe you should take a hint?

Understand...whether you test iso or not is your decision...if I claim something works...it's up to you to test or not to test. I just went through this kind of thing on another forum because I FORGOT the cardinal rule of mpg testing...DON'T mention additives or other methods around the virgins...they'll throw a fit...like you are trying to sell them drugs or something. Best to just let them pay the high gas prices and enjoy their ignorance.

Usually I don't run into too much of this on forums involved with mpg testing...this one can be an exception.
I certainly was not throwing a fit, quite the opposite, trying to ask questions and learn.

I have a cardinal rule myself, test only one new thing per tankful, so this tank it will be ISO and MMoil,
Next tank will be an EFIE (I hope, too hot to get under the hood these days with the temp nearing 100 every day)

Maybe tank after that will be HHO

Too many variables spoils the results.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I've heard that "Marvel Mystery Oil" is nothing but ATF in a fancy package.
was there a lab test ???
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #47
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
was there a lab test ???
I don't know of a lab test, its just what I've heard from several different sources over the years.

-Jay

Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I don't know of a lab test, its just what I've heard from several different sources over the years.

-Jay
Ok ,,i think there is a difference i know ATF doesn't work as good in my air tools
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #49
Registered Member

I was wondering if MMoil was ok for fuel injectors. Never could find anything that said for certain. All I ever saw was the negative, bla, don't, bla, waste, bla, won't work. I always got good results with the stuff ages ago. Usally a boost of about 1 mpg with, than without and at 12 to 13 mpg I took it.

Haven't used the stuff since I went fuel injection. Should be interesting to see the results. Pitty I'm fixing to get rid of the Caddy.
OokiiMamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #50
Registered Member

MMOil is basically mineral spirits, white gas, and trichloromethane/ethane (or similar)...

So, varsol, coleman fuel and typists correction fluid thinner (Used to be that, haven't checked lately)

Seafoam is like varsol and isopropyl.

I dunno when people are gonna start believing me and just start using generic varsol, isopropyl and kerosene to clear crap out the motor instead of buying all this overpriced crap.

Edit: Hmmm yeah, dunno if anyone noticed, but practically NONE of the constituents of MMO have any significant lubricating abilities.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote