Isopropyl Alcohol - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #21
Registered Member

Well I've given up on isopropyl since I can't see clear gains with it, but the last thing I stuck in my tank impressed me more.... http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8192

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
I can't believe the crap you guys are putting into your gas tanks! Are you the guys that are putting water in there too? You know that the fuel pump strainer and fuel pump catch most of that, right? That is, until they clog. But I guess you guys are smarter than the scientists at the gas companies.

Guess what alcohol does to all the rubber seals in your engine. Good luck with FE when you're burning all that oil.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:24 AM   #23
Registered Member

Some gas already has 10% ethanol in it? I'm adding another 0.16% iso plus some top lube.

Fear and hysteria?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 AM   #24
Registered Member

E10 resistance was mandated mid 80s, 91 up cars have additional resistance. Marvin needed new "rubber" lines over 5 years ago, no alcohol involved back then, so he got the new lines that are up to the '91 up specs. Anyway any older vehicle that's been in continuous use, if it hasn't got resistant lines, the originals are gonna pop VERY soon alcohol or no. Anything that's had replacements in the last 15 years should be safe.

Fuel filter sock won't stop anything but rocks, it's only about the same mesh as a pair of nylons.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #25
Registered Member

Let's also not forget that the plastics industry buys the best part of the petroleum. Fuel isn't some kind of outstanding product that scientists produce to make the best power. It's a mix of the cheapest pieces that remain after the plastics industry takes all the complex pieces. Not to mention that its mixed in gigantic batches to be used in 14 to 28 days. It's bread and water as a meal for the combustion chamber, not some kind of proper meal.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #26
Registered Member

Yeah pretty much it's the "least worst" soup of hydrocarbons that they can get away with selling, rather than the best thing for your motor ever.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Let's also not forget that the plastics industry buys the best part of the petroleum. Fuel isn't some kind of outstanding product that scientists produce to make the best power. It's a mix of the cheapest pieces that remain after the plastics industry takes all the complex pieces. Not to mention that its mixed in gigantic batches to be used in 14 to 28 days. It's bread and water as a meal for the combustion chamber, not some kind of proper meal.
Sorry but I don't buy your hypothesis.

When gasoline was first invented, there was a hyuuuge demand for plastics? Like today?
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Don't foul up your cat with all that extra oil added - I would think that caster oil would be better since it is a good two stroke lube.
Aren't 2-strokes total-loss oil systems? Like the oil goes out of the engine with the exhaust? Are you saying castor oil is easier on the cat?
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Aren't 2-strokes total-loss oil systems? Like the oil goes out of the engine with the exhaust? Are you saying castor oil is easier on the cat?
Any oil added to the tank will eventually go to the cat... One thing I heard often years ago, but I don't see mentioned here is adding a couple of ounces of ATF to your fuel. I used to do it all the time on my old 74 Chevy truck because I could not get leaded fuel anymore to lubricate the valves.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
E10 resistance was mandated mid 80s, 91 up cars have additional resistance.
My 1980 Buick's manual says up to E10 is acceptable.