LRR tires Goodyear "Viva 2" - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
LRR tires Goodyear "Viva 2"

In my quest to figure out the best size/brand LRR tire for my CRX (without spending $100/per) I've been collecting data. The most recent bit, in case anyone is interested is the weight:

Goodyear Viva 2 (specifically made for sale @ Walmart)-
size: 185/70/14 weighs in at 18.8 LBS. Wow! What a pig, considering this baby DOES seem to have soft sidewalls. I may just wind up coughing up the extra money for the same size Bridgestone B381's or the infamous Nokian WR's. Those weigh in at only 16LBS. These are going to be mounted on my 14" miata BBS rims (which weigh under 9LBS each). I expect the lightweightedness of this new tire/rim combination to be no more than my stock CRX HF's tire/wheel combo, while the larger diameter overall decreases my rev's per mile. After that it really just comes down to the physics of more weight being slung further out (in the area where that larger diameter comes in). I'm hoping to pick up a few more free MPH by changing my effective gearing. On top of that I hope that the fact that I'm switching to LRR tires adds to the benefit. Wish me luck. Will keep you posted. If anyone has a better bang-for-the-buck idea for 185/70/14 Low Rolling Resistance tires, PLEASE throw some ideas at me.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
why are you looking at such wide tires? in the US you can buy tires as narrow as 165mm wide, altho 175mm are more commen, they still seem insanely wide compared to the 155mm you can get for 13" rims.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

I was leaning towards the Viva 2s also. I need 215/65 15 size tires. I checked out the list from Consumer Reports that was posted here recently but most of the tires that fit my truck either aren't made in that model or the dealers and/or the dealer suppliers don't carry them. I almost bought the Viva 2s yesterday but Wally World only had two in stock. I didn't want half good tires and half the-crap-that-came-with-the-truck tires. So that's when I started trying to find the other tires. Any other suggestions? If I want a narrower and larger diameter tire, is it possible to reprogram the car's computer to read a correct speed and correct odo? I've heard that it's possible but have no clue how.