Mirror removal - 2008 Hyundai Accent - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #21
Registered Member

After a lot of searching, I found this clip. Totally worthless to me since it can rotate. I searched McMaster Carr and Grainger under "clip", "mount", "fastener", "quick release", "slide", "rail", and "bayonet". Nothing quite right, but a couple sheet metal things that aren't tight enough to do the job.

Anyhow, I think I could just leave a couple pan head bolts exposed (slightly above the surface and painted black), and then make a plate shaped like an E, but rotated to have the fingers of the E pointing down. The spaces in the E would slide under the exposed bolt heads. Pretty easy to whip up. I hope that's at all clear. I do have a dovetail cutter, but that'd require thicker stock and more work.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
No need to create that mount. It already exists, and could work. Remember wall-mounted telephones?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Registered Member

I'll check some of them out. I can use the female side maybe. With coupling nuts I can attach the protruding bolts right to the car's metal structure, which is cool.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #24
Registered Member

Figure I should determine the mirror before designing the mount. I was thinking bicycle mirrors because they're light, cheap, and compact to stow in the trunk. Also, I think they'll be easier to work with than going with ones from a junkyard. Should've looked for some when I was at Walmart.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Go back to Walmart. They have a mirror that should work and it's cheap.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #26
Registered Member

When I was there I couldn't find any car mirrors and when I asked they told me they only carried blind spot mirrors now.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #27
Registered Member

Oh, and interior mirrors (rear view and the like).

co de pen den cy

Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #28
Registered Member

Just won two bicycle mirrors for $2 on Ebay. They don't have the handle bar mounting hardware, but that's irrelevant.

co de pen den cy