My WAI - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

My WAI

Just got done installing a crude WAI in my Accent. I'll make it nicer if it appears to add much to mpg. Maybe I can figure out a good way to do a conversion to CAI by then. The air inlet follows a circuitous path and the best place to intercept it was at this kidney shaped junction. I just crimped the 3" flexible duct around it and taped it. Lost a fair bit of skin in the process! I then slit and spread the hose out over the manifold heat shield for now. If it works that'll change to flashing. Reminds me of splayed shrimp.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Can you post larger pics, or a link to the album? It's hard to tell what I'm looking at besides a random piece of flex hose in an engine bay -- I can't see how it's connected or to what.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

The pictures are a bit out of focus. My camera ran out of power while I was taking them so no more for a bit (guess I know how long the battery lasts now). The one in the center won't show much as it's all underneath. I'll try for better pics when my battery's up.

Bigger does show a bit more. Not much to show. I wired it in place after I took the pic.

UPDATE: brightened it up a little

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Ok, I think I get it. You sliced the flex hose open along its length and put it up against something hot. The right side of the picture is where it leads to the intake and the left side is an end. Is the end open, or if not, where does the air actually enter?

It could use a brightness adjustment. Washed out is better than dark details in a technical picture, IMO.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'll try to get some more light in there. My garage lighting is pretty poor. The end is just bent over. It sucks air from all around the edges of the whole section, which is pretty much the edges of the manifold heat shield. Should I bias it to suck more from one direction than another?

co de pen den cy

Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

do you have a lower inlet? i had to block mine before i got any temp increases.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

You can brighten the photo in almost any photo editing software or website, and the details will become visible. I pasted your picture into paint.net and cranked up the brightness until I could see it well.

For my own photos I usually use Picasa to organize, brighten/adjust, and upload. There's a Picasa plugin for uploading to flickr.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

I think photobucket can do that too. I'll check it out.

I didn't consider the hose splitting, so I'll double check. I traced the hose, but it is very cramped so maybe there's stuff I missed. I'll check it out with my inspection mirror.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

I think it does have another inlet! Very weird shaped part, with a tube (I think it's a tube) going immediately down through a hole. I wouldn't have noticed it if I weren't specifically looking for the possibility. Good catch, Bowtieguy! I think it might go to the well right in front of the left wheel. There's an air vent there. I'd have to remove the fuse box and maybe the battery to get to any of this. Or go in through the wheel well and block it.

co de pen den cy

Old 05-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

that's exactly what i had to do, remove the battery. blocking it gave warmer intake temps w/out affecting performance/acceleration.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote