mythbusters - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

mythbusters

ok since we don't have sponsors or deep pockets like alot of people i was thinking maybe we can enroll some help with some of our experiments and myths about saving gas?? what do you guys think about submitting for some help? if u guys think this would be a good idea post up some ideas either here or on http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...m/f/2991937776 <here to see how far we can get with this! try and include some of our experiments so they can compare with us??

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dagsr View Post
ok since we don't have sponsors or deep pockets like alot of people i was thinking maybe we can enroll some help with some of our experiments and myths about saving gas?? what do you guys think about submitting for some help? if u guys think this would be a good idea post up some ideas either here or on http://community.discovery.com/eve/f...m/f/2991937776 <here to see how far we can get with this! try and include some of our experiments so they can compare with us??
exposure and entertainment reasons would be great. that's if GS is mentioned on the show. too many variables in testing tho, especially for TV(ratings). ie some things work on certain cars, but not others. some things work on any vehicle, but lesser % increase is not tangible on lower mpg autos, etc.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
they (mythbusters) should be put in touch with those who can help them plan and execute valid experiments
agreed, but THAT would not be nearly as entertaining(ratings).
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

i was just throwing the idea out there cuz i saw the episode about fe and it kinda sucked! they did no real experiments besides additives and aero. so i was thinking just throw some ideas on the forum to see if any of them catch on, and if they're expensive we wouldn't have to waste our money?!

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

They also had another show where they used some different things with a two different cars on a dyno. THe only one I remember them doing is the fuel magnet, but there were others they tried also, none of which made a difference.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Question Yes, I'd like to see some controlled experiments

I hate to offend, but I find it hard to believe the mileage some people claim. Not that I disbelieve, just that my scepticism cuts in whenever people make up their own experiments.
There *do* exist criteria for true fuel consumption tests. I'd like it if people were at least asked to use these before posting.
On another note: I'm a l/100km guy. I don't have a clue as to what an US mpg is.
l'm enough to remember an imperial gallon back from 1973, as well as miles.
Now, as a web designer I also know how easy it is for a site to vary certain parameters according to a user's choice - or even the region revealed by their IP address.
Is it all so hard? Real tests, expressed in the language of your region?
Steve Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Guy sets up his own test stand...surprising results?

http://www.mpgresearch.com/viewtopic.php?t=2006

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Peters View Post
I hate to offend, but I find it hard to believe the mileage some people claim. Not that I disbelieve, just that my skepticism cuts in whenever people make up their own experiments.
The mileage claimed isn't based on testing procedure etc. - It's based on tank to tank fills Which, in itself, is at the whim of things like pump error (which is why it's recommended to fill at the same pump every time and fill in the consistent manner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Peters View Post
There *do* exist criteria for true fuel consumption tests. I'd like it if people were at least asked to use these before posting.
Check out some of the stickies in the experiments section

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1155

It's recommended that some form of method be taken for testing procedures (and several well written experiments actually do follow this or similar procedure). This attempts to control some variables while presenting characteristics (such as wind and temperature) that question validity. In my opinion, and I'm one that semi-frequently reads peer reviewed papers et. al., data like this loses some credibility when factors that could throw off results are not mentioned.

But of course, and lastly, on road testing does not provide results. On road testing must be taken as anecdotal data. In the end, go with what works for you - but don't take other people's data as evidence. That's not to say reliable members are sources of incredulous data - just that your mileage may vary

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
I used to frequent the mythbusters forum..... A few people on there are really worth having a discussion with.... But most of everyone else... holy crap. If I have to explain the physics behind, yet another time, why a conveyor belt has no bearing on weather or not a plane can take off..... I might just turn emo

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Nerobro Send a message via Yahoo to Nerobro
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
. If I have to explain the physics behind, yet another time, why a conveyor belt has no bearing on weather or not a plane can take off..... I might just turn emo
There's a thread on the SA forums that has been going for something like a year on that subject. ... I don't get it either.

Nerobro is offline   Reply With Quote