New Tech vs Old Tech, which yields the best FE? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hot air helps

So it looks like hot air definitely helps. I recall seeing your WAI/HAI setup on here a long time ago. What kind of tubing was it, and where did you get it? I'm looking to get a more permanent setup than the one I have now (dryer vent). A temporary experiment ended up getting put on the back burner for replacement and there it stays. Since I've noticed a gain, I can probably cut into the airbox, use some decent tubing, and not have to use the stock airbox inlet -- which is on the bottom and has to take a sharp angle to get the heat in there. I may rig up something to have a combined cold and hot air setup (selectable) depending on if I autocross or need the power for any reason.

RH77

Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Hot air helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
So it looks like hot air definitely helps. I recall seeing your WAI/HAI setup on here a long time ago. What kind of tubing was it, and where did you get it? I'm looking to get a more permanent setup than the one I have now (dryer vent). A temporary experiment ended up getting put on the back burner for replacement and there it stays. Since I've noticed a gain, I can probably cut into the airbox, use some decent tubing, and not have to use the stock airbox inlet -- which is on the bottom and has to take a sharp angle to get the heat in there. I may rig up something to have a combined cold and hot air setup (selectable) depending on if I autocross or need the power for any reason.

RH77
I said earlier that I didnt think the WAI helps the Prius. It has more to do with less friction and more efficient conversion of energy into and out of the traction battery.

I havent been able to prove that WAI helps on either of my cars. if you want to try it, I got the tubes from NAPA. The are 2" diameter accordian type tubes that are used on older cars to connect from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner, you know for the choke warming thingy.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote