Peakster's Experiment #5: ACETONE REVEALED!!! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #21
Registered Member

One thing I will say is that almost immediately after adding the acetone, the engine ran much smoother and quieter. I was like "No way. As if it would have that effect immediately". It was a very noticeable difference. but 5-6 ounces per 10 gallons is a lot of acetone.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #22
ELF
Registered Member

Well, there is one other aspect of using acetone, some people claim that emissions are better with it in the fuel. I have no proof myself that it does. But its still something to consider, even if mpg is unchanged.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
Registered Member

Awesome, a real test... I thought you were taking the piss, but you were dead serious... awesome!

What kind of acetone was that in the test? Apparently that can make a big difference.

And was that about 8.2 miles per run? Did you drive for long after adding the acetone but before starting the test? Of course it seems like it did not need much time to mix and get into the engine given that you said you noticed a difference almost immediately.

Are you planing on doing a second trial after you burn off a couple of tanks of regular gas? Maybe with a different concentration?

Looking forward to your posting of the actual amount added!
GasSavers_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
What kind of acetone was that in the test? Apparently that can make a big difference.
Umm. I had no idea there were certain kinds. I just went to Home Depot (several months ago), ran to a person that worked there and asked "Where can I find a jug of acetone?". It was found in the paint solvent isle and it was pretty expensive stuff if I remember correctly; something like $9 for 1 litre.

Quote:
And was that about 8.2 miles per run? Did you drive for long after adding the acetone but before starting the test? Of course it seems like it did not need much time to mix and get into the engine given that you said you noticed a difference almost immediately.
I drove off to do the run immediately. Each run is about 7.2 miles. I didn't think it would take very long for the 2 ounces of acetone to mix up with the 3.9 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

Quote:
Are you planing on doing a second trial after you burn off a couple of tanks of regular gas? Maybe with a different concentration?
Maybe when the weather becomes a scorcher. Definitely something that I'd like to confirm again in the future.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #25
*shrug*

He means pure v. non-pure acetone. This is another thing the acetone supporters will cite as reasons why acetone tests often fail to produce extreme results.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
He means pure v. non-pure acetone. This is another thing the acetone supporters will cite as reasons why acetone tests often fail to produce extreme results.
*looks at container* I'm pretty sure it's 100% acetone. There's labels stating what it can be used for as well as warning labels & labels about where it was made, but it says nothing about it containing any other chemical (no 'ingredients' list).
Old 04-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Fill the 6 ounce coke bottle to the same height with regular old water, find a measuring thingy, and pour the water into that.
Filled the Coca-Cola bottle with water to the level of acetone & poured it into a small measuring cup: it was precisely 2 ounces added to the 3.9 gallon tank:

Attachment 394
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001327.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	344  
Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
Supporting Member

Peakster -

Thanks. I gotta do this at least once. I need to find the "perfect ratio" for my tank size, so it's off to troll I go.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You have to buy acetone by the gallon to get the best pricing and if you drive enough it will last a year and the cost will be about 1/2 or less than 4 liter cans.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote