Proposed Tire Pressure Experiment - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

My truck came with 265/75 R16 tires from the factory. The tires on it now are rated at 35 PSI max, and I have run them at 40 since they were new. You really think an 80 PSI E rated tire would still give me the nice, smooth, quiet ride I'm accustomed to?

-Jay

EDIT: An E rated tire wouldn't be overkill on a 1500 series truck, would it?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Mine's a 1500, and as I said, I remember that yours is slightly heavier. I am all about a smooth, comfortable ride. When I switched to E tires, it was with much trepidation due to the same concern...however, at the same pressure, I was unable to feel any difference. When I began airing them up to 80, I could feel it, slightly. However, with such tall and fat tires, such a heavy vehicle, and so much distance between the wheels (width and length), tire pressure has much less effect on ride than it does on a small car. Going from 44 to 80psi, I definitely noticed it, but it wasn't a bother.

Edit: A lot heavier (1000 pounds), if you're reporting your curb weight correctly in your vehicle profile.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

I believe I subtracted 1,000 pounds (1/2 ton) from the GVWR posted inside the driver's door. Someday I will take it to a truck stop and weigh it.

-Jay

Old 08-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I believe I subtracted 1,000 pounds (1/2 ton) from the GVWR posted inside the driver's door. Someday I will take it to a truck stop and weigh it.

-Jay
a tire is rated for weight what the door post says is BS if you know corner LBS you adjust from there
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

I double checked... I have 5500 pounds posted, which is what the vehicle title says is my empty weight.

-Jay

Old 08-18-2008, 04:09 AM   #16
Site Team

Inspect the sidewalls (outside and inside) for cleanliness, you wouldn't want a blowout.

(I know, I know, a lot of people don't believe the "old tires" theories, but I've seen too many first-hand situations where old tires blow out)

-BC
Old 08-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Go to get weighed at a truck stop, dump, gravel yard, or scrap metal place and find out once and for all what your truck actually weighs. Estimating using GVWR and the manual's load rating just doesn't work worth a damn.

I got an idea for how you can decide if high pressure tires will work for you...buy some used load range E tires. They don't need a lot of tread, just enough to last a little while until you decide...