Acetone = 5.6
Hexane = 8.3.
Medium 0.8 to 3.0 95% Ethyl Alcohol = 1.4
Naphtha = 1.4
Slow < 0.8 Xylene = 0.6
Isobutyl Alcohol = 0.6
Water = 0.3
Mineral Spirits = 0.1

If you look at this you will notice that acetone's evap rate is slower than hexane. gasoline contains quite a bit of hexane. So I'm not sure what acetone is supposed to do if it's evap rate is slower than gas? I know it works in some cars and not in others.
Some of you guys mentioned that you need gas without ethanol for it to work? It would seem it evaporates faster than Eth. So in theory it should work better in gas with ethanol?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #92
Registered Member

Gas has 35-40 % aromatics so adding 2oz per 10 gallons is suppose help it how. What concentration is that .15% and that suppose to help vaporization. I can see it cleaning out the crud on a high time engine but thats only going to help until it's clean and then it won't make any difference.
I've tried this in 3 cars, one of which was a blind test. Zipp, nada, nothing on all accounts. I guess that's why the gas pill and increase mileage formulas make money because there is always someone that will get an increase in FE. YMMV

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #93
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on catalytic converter operation... Which probably isn't consistent imo. What'd be cool is if someone could convince a tech to measure pre cat...
Yes that would be cool.

As for cat operation, I agree it's not consistent: you'd think it would be performing better at higher engine loads (hotter). Which makes the low unburnt HC reading at idle/low load that much more interesting.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #94
Registered Member

Would idle versus 40km/hr really make that much of a difference if the cat was already warmed up according to the ECU's warm-up tables? Which it should be before the test. To elaborate, the cat should already be at optimum operating temp once the car is warmed up, any increase in temp may help out cat operation a bit, but probably not much. I'm guessing that the increase in HCs comes from greater exhaust/HC density, so the cat may not be able to knock down as many HCs when there are more of them per unit time flowing through it.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #95
Registered Member

Here's a link I found with compilations of results in different makes using acetone . Apologies if it's already been posted .

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
GasSavers_RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #96
*shrug*

It's unfortunate that the peswiki has an obvious bias in stating the facts, which is probably why people like me, who saw a decrease, don't even post reports there.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #97
Registered Member

I'd try it on a weed eater or mower but certainly not my vehicle that I depend on. I can see how running a small amount thru your system would help clean it out, but I would not suggest this as a mileage booster or for anyone to use it on a regular basis.

My question however is, Is there another formula/chemical that could produce such an effect that would not be a threat of damage?

I know some vehicles run like crap and knock pretty bad if they don't run high octane fuel, but I've seen some run better on the most rotgut gas you can get (without water contamination) then if you run the best stuff.

I would not advice anyone trying this unless you actually have a car that you don't care about or need to depend on to get you to work daily. Testing is all good, but remember don't always believe everything to hear or read. I could boast that this acetone myth is giving me 97 mpg and no mechanical problems for the last 5 years, but wheres my proof? Posting without some sort of way to PROVE it actually works and I am not talking about these silly videos you see on youtube etc does not mean anything!
Zoticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:12 AM   #98
Registered Member

I'm not seeing any improvement with Acetone. The best mod to date is learning to drive like a hypermiler. Now I have a year's supply of nail polish remover! Yeah!

Maybe I'll give it to the lady in the mall that runs the fingernail store.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #99
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Try 3 oz to 10 gallons but in a vehicle that gets that low a mileage it may not help much because you are probably burning at idle what a vehicle that it does help burns at 30-40 mph. I see it helping more at really low speeds when there is not a lot of fuel being injected and helping it vaporize with such small squirts makes a difference.
What did you end up paying for it?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #100
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Try 3 oz to 10 gallons but in a vehicle that gets that low a mileage it may not help much because you are probably burning at idle what a vehicle that it does help burns at 30-40 mph. I see it helping more at really low speeds when there is not a lot of fuel being injected and helping it vaporize with such small squirts makes a difference.
What did you end up paying for it?
If you were addressing me, I paid about 7 or 8 bucks for it. I'm just joking about giving it away. I'll probably use it periodically because it seems to keep the engine running smoothly. I'm going to try using it as charcoal starter fluid. If it makes the food taste bad, I'm switching right back to lighter fluid.

m