Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #81
Registered Member

Mix it real good with a

Mix it real good with a couple gallons of gas and THEN pour it down the spout.

What's going to happen when a big glob of it gets sucked into the fuel line and up to the filter? Want me to guess, or do you want to tell us when it happens?

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #82
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Glob

Usually I add a bunch of gas after I squirt it in but this time I passed by the high price gas and only ended up going back and getting it there anyway . . . ahhh the price we pay for scientific consistancy . . . same pump for every fillup. I shot some into a little gas one time and it dispersed really quickly - it should it is made to mix with gas as it is two stroke oil. The idea is to NOT have to handle gasoline at all - the fumes have a habbit of lingering around forever.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #83
Registered Member

I have used Acetone for a year now in my dodge neon. It gave me 6 more mpg's. It has not had any bad effects on my engine. It does help once you figure out how much to use. For my car it's 2 oz. per 10 gallons. To much will decrease FE. You have to play around with the mixture to see what helps your car. For me , over 3 oz. makes my mpg fall. It will not hurt the engine to use too much. It actually runs much better but you will lose FE. It depends on how efficent your engine is allready. It will greatly help a carb. engine but if you have a DOHC 16valve 4 banger it doesn't help much because your engine burns pretty efficently allready.
badgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #84
Driving on E

The Mythbusters episode where they tested acetone was on again last night. I had never watched before, so I really enjoyed it
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #85
Registered Member

Yeah I saw it too - really disapointing because they fed it to a gas hungry V8 on a dyno that was carburated and then a BMW Fuel Injected gas monster too. Like I said it works best at light throttle when the fuel usually doesn't vaporize well. The hydrogen test was pretty funny - ya think they are working for the oil companies MAYBE???
Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Like I said it works best at light throttle when the fuel usually doesn't vaporize well.
Why doesn't fuel vapourize well at light throttle?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #87
Registered Member

Because there is a really short spurt of it being injected into a small amount of air and then it tries to ignite it way before tdc under lower pressure in a larger volume (before top dead center the combustion chamber is not fully compressed yet) so little heating and mixing from compression has occured yet. Also a much smaller in rush of air is being used at light throttle vs wide open. Short injection pulse means only some of the passing air got fuel sprayed into it and the rest of the air is lean.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #88
Registered Member

I still don't buy it.

First - it appears that a well tuned car produces fewer unburnt hydrocarbons at idle than at speed, which suggests that combustion completion under light loads is actually better.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....highlight=post

Second, gasoline should vaporize more readily in the partial vacuum of light engine loads compared to higher loads because its boiling point decreases as pressure drops.

Lastly, do you have info about the surface tension of acetone vs hydrocarbons? I saw one reference (can't find it now, of course) that showed acetone's was actually slightly higher.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #89
Registered Member

This probably won't add much to this conversation, but I tried acetone for about 3000 miles a couple of years ago and saw absolutely no effect at all. I drive the same route every day and use my cruise control set at virually the same speed so the only variables should be weather conditions and variances in topping off of the tank during fueling. I just went back over my data from that time period and I don't see anything that stands out. Based on all the claims surrounding this issue, I should have noticed something. My methods aren't very scientific, but with the way I use my vehicle, acetone is a waste of money for me.

-- Scott
Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #90
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
First - it appears that a well tuned car produces fewer unburnt hydrocarbons at idle than at speed, which suggests that combustion completion under light loads is actually better.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....highlight=post
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on catalytic converter operation... Which probably isn't consistent imo. What'd be cool is if someone could convince a tech to measure pre cat...

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote