Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
Driving on E

Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy

Backround: Some claim that a VERY small amount of acetone in the gas tank will increase fuel economy.

EDIT: I removed the link after a rather nasty email from the author of the article. I emailed asking for permission to use his article on this website and his response was less than nice. There was mention of him publishing a book and he repeatedly said "NO." Needless to say, acetone as a gas mileage enhancer can be read about on various sites throughout the internet. Contact the google gods for more information.

Others argue that this claim is ridiculous, and others claim that it will destroy your engine.

I propose we run an experiment to determine if acetone will in fact increase gas mileage as described.

We have heard that the mileage benefit may NOT be noticable until after the first tank of gas. Due to this, we ask that all volunteers do not begin recording their mileage until after you have been through one tank of gas.

5 volunteers are needed. Please reply to this thread if you are interested. Guidelines to be followed are contained in thread How to properly conduct an experiment (http://www.gassavers.org/node/3)

Matt

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
*shrug*

Soon soon.

I'll definately work on this one pretty soon, just need to figure out my loops and find a gas station that will help me out by not topping off. Here in New Jersey we don't get that kinda control but I think it can be figured out. I'll start on my second tank running acetone and shoot you the numbers.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Driving on E

Conversion successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I'll definately work on this one pretty soon, just need to figure out my loops and find a gas station that will help me out by not topping off. Here in New Jersey we don't get that kinda control but I think it can be figured out. I'll start on my second tank running acetone and shoot you the numbers.
Very cool. One volunteer down and 4 to go.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

the perfect civic

i would volenter but my pride and joy is also my DD so if somthing went south i'd be fu*ked w/ no transportation for my handicap mom + no way to school. i'm most profeshient in electronics and wiring so i'll help there.

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

maxMPG proposal

This subject has been covered extensively at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/

In general, the smaller and more underpowered the vehicle is the more MPG gain one _might_ get.

replacing OEM spark plug wires with Bosch premium will almost always give better results. OEM plug wires are good for maybe 50K then they start breaking down.

another good forum with lots of archived data is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BetterMPG/

there is no magic bullet for significantly increasing MPG, the only thing that really works is driving less and slowing down.
john galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
Driving on E

Aveo trip report

Thanks John. I am hoping that some of the folks at the yahoo groups can migrate over here. We have the ability to more fully customize the layout of this site to suite the needs of all of us wanting better gas mileage.

You said that acetone MIGHT affect gas mileage. Does this mean you have had unfavorable results? If so, please tell us about it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Registered Member

Side fairing

<p>Compared with yahoo this forum is a slow, cumbersome pain-in-the-*** for anyone on dial-up access, I won't be back.</p><p>As for acetone, yes I tried it in my truck for many months.&nbsp; At first it gave a 3% to 4% increase, but then I replaced the spark plug wires and got a 10% increase.&nbsp; After that, acetone or not had no measureable effect.</p><p>&nbsp;Acetone is mostly a band-aid that masks more significant problems.<br /></p>
john galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

supermid m-1

xml might not be the MOST efficient way of doing things, but it's really easy to manipulate.&nbsp; (if you're even reading this anyway). &nbsp;&nbsp; so, i'd be interested in how acetone changes the chemical makeup, like, does it make it burn evener, or does it clean? &nbsp; &nbsp;
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
*shrug*

Vortex Generators

Some say it is good because it allows the molecules to vaporize more easily and others say it is just cleaning the injectors making it spray finer. I will test out my next three tanks with acetone and then let it go and see if the benefit (if there is any) stays or goes away, and if some more people share my conclusions then it should be resonably easy to say which side is correct.&nbsp;
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Parts you will need to put a d15z1 engine into a 88-91 Civic/CRX

Yesterday I bit the bullet, said "**** it" and dumped 50ml into my gas tank (holding about 7gal at the time). I didnt notice anything at first, but after driving for about 15min, I looked down and realized that my engine temp was down and I was going about 70mph. Next light I raced and completley destroyed a stock silverado in my little 4banger toyota truck. How much it helps? I'm not sure, didnt measure exactly. But it definatley does make a differance. Right now I'm just waiting to see if my fuel lines melt or not, but if they dont, its definatley something worth doing.

Scorn is offline   Reply With Quote