Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #51
Registered Member

Re: Restoring a vx

Yay! Finally at the paint shop.

hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #52
Registered Member

Some more interior work completed. The headliner had some marks that were unsightly so an improvement needed to be made. I prepped the original vinyl surface with wax and grease remover, applied contact cement, and form fitted new padded headliner material in gray cloth. It should cut down on road noise due to the sound absorption properties. It looks a hell of a lot better too.

Completed.

It needs just a small amount of trimming to fit. Next up will be the door panel inserts.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #53
Registered Member

She's back from paint. Turned out quite well. Now the work begins! Lot's of interior bits to put back in and such. More pictures to come!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #54
Registered Member

I started working on the interior today. Was expecting to remove and start fitting the carpet. The factory carpet came out pretty easily after the console and driver's seat was removed. I was very disappointed when I found that there was moisture at the driver's feet. It had been like this for quite some time and caused floor damage. It is repairable without replacing the floor pan. Patch work will have to be done, however. I just dug in without taking a before shot.

The tar pad needed to be scraped off the floor first, then I used a narrow scraper and a rubber mallet to remove the seam sealer from the areas that were suspect. 40 grit by hand after a quick wire brushing with the air die grinder got me this far. Took me about 3 hours. It will take another 2-3 hours of sanding to prep the areas for patching and POR15 treatment.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #55
Registered Member

At least the other corners of the car are dry and rust free.

Passenger side front

Passenger rear

Driver's side rear

The car looks much better with the factory side skirt back in place.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #56
Registered Member

Best try to find the source of that leak in the driver's footwell. That's not as bad as some I've seen in junkyards, etc.

This thread is inspiring. I just had some work done on my rocker panels - they were totally rotted from front to rear. Still plenty to do, but getting there.
deschlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #57
Registered Member

Looks to me like the source was from a small puncture in the driver's footwell. Over time the wick effect drew moisture up. The beauty of the product I'm using is that it is completely unaffected by moisture.

Being that it was around 15F outside last night, I decided that the door panels needed to get finished. I reassembled them with 1/2" #14 screws and washers on the inside. Here's one on the door. Daddy like!

Got up early this morning and went to work. Got the rest of the paint and seam sealer stripped and sanded. Patches were made of sheet steel and coated front and back with POR15 prior to installation. Another great property of the POR15 product is its strength of adhesion. Once the area is dry I will verify they are fused in place. If there is any weakness I can apply some 3m panel bond, otherwise I'll be using 3m seam sealer just to make sure no moisture can come up through the areas.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #58
Lean Burn Mode

Looking good!!!

I run a PPG, BASF, Dupont, Sikkens Jobber Store and I can verify that the POR 15 is some incredible product.

The only down side of this product is you have to make sure the inner lip of its can is very clean before putting the lid back on other wise it will glue itself to the can and you will destroy the can trying to get the lid off.

We even made a prop (gallon steal lid glued to a pint steal lid)to show people how well it glues itself to each other. Then we have them use a pair of pliers to try to separate them. hehe
Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Looking good!!!

I run a PPG, BASF, Dupont, Sikkens Jobber Store and I can verify that the POR 15 is some incredible product.

The only down side of this product is you have to make sure the inner lip of its can is very clean before putting the lid back on other wise it will glue itself to the can and you will destroy the can trying to get the lid off.

We even made a prop (gallon steal lid glued to a pint steal lid)to show people how well it glues itself to each other. Then we have them use a pair of pliers to try to separate them. hehe
Yep. The paint supplier told me of this issue. I use some 2 mil plastic on the lid and it comes back off super easy. I bought a quart the first time, and found that I could almost never use it enough to go through that much. I buy the teeny cans now, like the couple ounce can. I did a bunch of stuff with that small amount.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #60
Registered Member

Well, I went back to check the pad in the passenger footwell and I found more moisture. The tar pad had to be pulled. I got this accomplished last night. Dug in and found some more cancer that needed to be addressed. The rear floor had some flaking paint too. Another hour of prep needed to be done on that. I had to go re stock my por15 supply. I don't want it to look like the rockers are just in primer, so I went with semi gloss black. All the floor areas were coated again so they all match. Here's the progress pics.

Got one coat on the passenger rocker after removing the paint.

The interior is going back in tomorrow come hell or high water!