Saturn s-series auto to manual trans swap success - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Saturn s-series auto to manual trans swap success

Just got through swapping out the auto trans on my 97 saturn wagon (sw2) for a manual trans out of a 92 sl1, the initial results are great, I see no problem with this being +50mpg in hypermiler mode (indicated scangauge results are good, 51mpg for day one and one loop at 64.7MPG). It still got the kill switch on the shifter and the scangauge is now working with the new manual computer, big bonus.

I'm just blowing my own horn here, worked mainly from http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...anny_swap.html and from http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...n+thought+swap and spent $400 on a donor car (with new tires and new clutch and that I could drive home and take my time dissasembling). It was a challenge and many new cuss words were invented along the way, but I'm glad to have done it It should easily pay for itself within the first year.

Where have the s-series gone anyway? Didn't they sell like a bajillion of them? Why'd they mess with it? Consumers weren't wasting enough gas I recon

Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

Excellent work!

As to where the cars went: according to Saturn's recent marketing, apparently owners were self-conscious about being passed by mopeds while getting great fuel economy.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:11 AM   #3

Welcome to the club of A to M.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Good work. I have always been a bit scared to try an auto to manual swap. It is a bit beyond my mechanical ability.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Supporting Member

MetroMPG -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Excellent work!

As to where the cars went: according to Saturn's recent marketing, apparently owners were self-conscious about being passed by mopeds while getting great fuel economy.
Sounds like a Simpson "It's a Geo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" moment.

If only Ned had said :

"I can't, it's a Saturn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Or from a more technical POV :

"I can't, it's a Saturn S-Series with an MP2 economy transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ah, yes, another classic Simpson's moment...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks guys, this wasn't my first a to m (brief history below) and I would certainly NOT recommend starting your trans swapping careers on a saturn s-series.

other trans swaps (from countless vehicles owned, over 70 by now):
81 vw cabbie auto to manual with custom 5 gear off a gs. gti donor.
74 vega auto (th350) to manual (camaro 6 cyl 5 speed).
77 malibu wagon 6 cyl (200 ci) 3 speed to saginaw 4 speed, yes it came stock with a stick.
66 tempest superturbine 300 2 speed to th350.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Supporting Member

skewbe -

Fantastic stuff. I was inspired by this saturnfans thread to purchase an "economy" 5th gear (two gears actually, you need two gears to mesh correctly) for an MP2 transmission for my MP3 transmission :

MAD!! gear swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76116
Quote:
I completed the 5th gear swap, i swapped in the 5th gear from an mp2 into my mp3 in the sc2 for better mileage on the interstate and to keep the engine from screaming at 70 mph, now the guys over on turbosaturns say it was a waste of time and wont help, and it will actually be harder on the engine not being revved so high, what gives? That doesnt sound right..

... blah blah blah ...

Darwin, wasnt referring to you..But since youre here, i watched what i was doing all the way home from work and it actually takes less throttle to hold it at 70, it almost just coasts along where before you had to hold the throttle a little ways..on most inclines at 55 even it doesnt slow down but only about 2 mph, it actually surprises me that it didnt hurt the power that much, but flies along at 65-85 like a caddy!

... blah blah blah ...

Im sure i could, where do i get this $10.00 gear? The reason i have not done it is because i read either here or one of the other forums that to PROPERLY fix it, you need to replace 2 gears in it that intermesh and the guy that makes the set asks 50.00 for them and i have 3 vehicles that need to be done, and i dont really have the cash at the moment..and as for the gear swap, all thats required is removing the end cover on the trans and the gear is right there looking at you, remove the input and output shaft nuts and slide the drive and driven gear off and replace with the other. ......
However, this project is on hold until I can get a better price from my mechanic.

Where's a community college car repair project when I need one!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Or from a more technical POV :

"I can't, it's a Saturn S-Series with an MP2 economy transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

CarloSW2
The wife let me drive it today, and I tell ya, the thing feels like a kick in the pants after short shifting a 3 cylinder metro for 6 months!