Serious testing takes time and energy. - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #31
Registered Member

Talking Re: Serious testing takes time and energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxc View Post
My goal is 100% over epa. I have take-no-prisoners approach to FE.
100% over EPA's mileage nos.
1st, do you consider the EPA nos. to be credible? Bear in mind gas mileage is a huge variable if you are hunting numbers. Never the same twice.
2nd, range is a better method of stating mpg. Average? Under what conditions? These folks who state "X.xx mpg" tell me their calculators gave hundredths accuracy. Once.
There are lots of claims for an increase in mpg (from low % to absurdly high %), often on the same container. Don't forget : selling product comes 1st; your results may (probably will) vary. Even the EPA gods say this.

Take-no-prisoners approach? In testing or results? But be careful of claims. I am an old hand at R&D methodology (many years have been spent in various R&D efforts) and bear the scars of middle managers whips!
Why am I telling you all this? The 100% over EPA's mileage nos. grabbed my eyes (I just joined this forum, so I may step on some toes); I have done this % thingy ; mu ScanGuage II doesn't lie! That's why I bought thi$ thing in the first place. Instantaneous mpg? Forget it! These nos. are all over the place! Average, however, turns into a nice, quiet no. Accurate, too.

I guess you can PM me on this forum. Like I said, I'm new here. We have lots to talk about....

Gasalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #32
Registered Member

Re: Serious testing takes time and energy.

there is yet another variable...and that is the updated epa estimates in 2008. the reference to 100% over was a 2006 post.

there's a link in my signature to the old estimates(comparing them to the new ones) for good reason...i believe them to be more accurate for "sensible" drivers. that said, achieving 100% over new estimates seems plausible for hypermilers.

good luck.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
Registered Member

Re: Serious testing takes time and energy.

if you scroll down on the "top ten" page, it shows a top ten and beyond list of those over epa estimates by percentage. there are 2 presently well over 100%...http://www.gassavers.org/garage/topten
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #34
Registered Member

Might as well add another +/-2% to the uncertainty of the measurement since you can easily be off 1 liter either way in a 50 liter gas tank while filling.
RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapybob View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if its really worthwhile.
Not really.

And gain if any would be so insignificant that it would fall into the zone of uncertainty.

The only one that gains is the producer of the device. He is sitting comfortably on his yacht in the Caribbean laughing.

RunningOnFumes is offline   Reply With Quote