Shell V-Power test - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Shell V-Power test

I did some searches but didn't find anything on this other than the multi-brand mower run-time tests (did I miss anything?) It's probably a bit soon for me to be doing this (my driving style is still improving, plus I just swapped in a K&N air filter last tank), but what the heck.

My Cabrio has over 101.5K miles on it. During that entire time it's been run on the cheapest gas I could find. If anyone's a candidate for "efficiency-robbing gunky buildup," it's me. So I thought I'd see what difference. if any, running a few tanks of Shell V-Power ("degunking" being its claim to fame) might make.

As far as I know my engine isn't knock-limited, so I don't expect the higher octane rating to make much if any difference in mileage (is my thinking wrong?) If there's any gunk-related improvement in gas mileage I'm guessing it will be a slow increase across several tanks... and probably buried in the noise of further driving style refinements. But I'm willing to be surprised.

I just did my first V-Power fill. Anyone have thoughts on how many tanks I should run? I'm thinking five or so, but I'm willing to stay with it longer. The only disadvantages are fewer locations to refill and significantly higher gas prices. (Today, $3.139 versus $2.719 for no-name regular.)

I plan to just keep doing what I've been doing and record normal data in my gaslog, but if there's anything special or additional anyone would like me to do, watch out for, or record, please let me know.

Rick

Old 06-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Do you have a hypothesis? How will this test be controlled, i.e. if you are learning how to drive for better mpg, how will you isolate that effect from just using this particular fuel?

FYI, I only run the cheap stuff and once in a rare while add a bottle of injector cleaner, usually after symptoms appear.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Do you have a hypothesis?
I have no hypothesis to test; it's simply observation at this point.

Quote:
How will this test be controlled, i.e. if you are learning how to drive for better mpg, how will you isolate that effect from just using this particular fuel?
Or from the new K&N filter, or the different Shell stations I'll likely use, or variable weather conditions, or assorted routes and traffic loads for that matter. If you have suggestions I'm open to them, but as I said in the first post: If there's any effect at all it may very well be buried in noise.

And if that's the case then either my engine hasn't collected much gunk, or the V-Power didn't affect it much, or it removed some or all but that had no significant bearing on my FE. Regardless, it would say that paying the higher price of V-Power has no benefit for me.

But if I do see a significant improvement that I can't tie to conditions or behavior: If the improvement tails off after returning to "the cheap stuff," then that hints either the higher octane or something else in the V-Power is beneficial to my engine. If the improvement remains after switching back, then that implies "gunk removal" may indeed have occurred. Either condition would be an indication (empirical, granted) that perhaps a more rigorous study should be undertaken.

Since this isn't a rigidly controlled scientific-method experiment, should I ask the moderator to move this thread to a different section? I thought this would be the correct place for these notes, but perhaps not.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 06-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #4

Since Shells V-power is made with Techron fuel system cleaner in it .Would it be more cost effective to run the "cheap stuff" with a bottle of Techron added every 5k miles ? I think it sells for $5-6 at the chinamart .
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Or maybe add acetone? Not sure if I would do that in my own car, though.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Would it be more cost effective to run the "cheap stuff" with a bottle of Techron added every 5k miles ?
Possibly, but that would be a different test.

We're only talking about an extra $20 or so here -- I don't plan to run V-Power indefinitely -- so it's not like it's a huge investment or anything. (I've already saved half of that in gas costs thanks to what I've learned here, anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Or maybe add acetone?
Ditto on "different test," in spades. Plus that one's been done before (several times).

Rick
Old 07-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
Ditto on "different test," in spades. Plus that one's been done before (several times).
You would be testing the "all acetone does is clean the injectors" theory, which I think is what you are testing with the V-Power gas... Anyway, let us know how it goes...
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

I thought VPower was just what Shell called their high octane gas...? Im pretty sure Its doesnt have any extra additives over the regular shell gas.

I could be wrong though, it happens alot
Old 07-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #9

Supposedly has more detergents to help keep your fuel system clean .

Quote : Clean your engine as you drive

Shell V-Power is designed to improve the performance of your engine by helping to remove power-robbing deposits. By cleaning the engine, the fuel can burn more effectively enabling the engine to run more smoothly. It also contains Shell's unique Friction Modification Technology (FMT), as used by Ferrari in Formula One. Reducing friction inside your engine helps your car run more efficiently, which is one of the reasons why Shell V-Power can begin to improve your vehicle's responsiveness from the moment you use it. Find out more about how Shell V-Power Works.
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yep... what they say on their site is that their regular gas is high-detergent and can keep a clean engine clean, while V-Power is even higher detergent and can also clean up a dirty engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Since Shells V-power is made with Techron fuel system cleaner in it...
I didn't catch this the first time around; sorry. I thought Techron (and before it, Techroline) was a Chevron thing?

Rick