Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
Maybe I should post a picture.
Definitely...

Old 06-15-2007, 06:56 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
if it clogs it will cause a whole host of running problems, prolly cant incorporate a cat and a muffler so theres gonna be exhaust pipe that will rust out. unless they make it out of expensive stainless steel... they would have to make soem radical changes to the whole engine dsign to make it more efficent and fuel/emmisions friendly
Last fall I bought an Echo backpack blower to remove leaves from our long driveway. They had two nearly identical models. As I found out afterwards one with a cat and one without - same price and features. The one with the cat is rated 1db quieter. The cat is integrated with the muffler and you can't tell it is even there so I couldn't tell when purchasing it. I chose the quieter that happened to have the cat.
I was a little nervous at first thinking this would be a big mess like the cat equipped Yamaha RD350 disaster. The thing runs great, makes no visible smoke and doesn't even smell like the 2-stroke it is. The caveat is that I need to use the really good, not really expensive Echo synthetic (I think) oil. Modern 2 stroke pre-mix oils are very clean burning and much less likely to clog a cat than the bean oils of the past.
Cats on small power equipment just means you have to use good fuel mixes in 2 strokes (no big deal) and will be utterly transparent for the 4 strokes from those manufacturers that have any thought about what they are doing.

bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks for the link. It is the kind of thing I was looking for. You are right about the "long time. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamically Aero View Post
This should keep you busy - and interested - for a long time.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #14
*shrug*

Wow, I only went through the first page...I have no attention span, but that looks very interesting. Someone should do it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

I am going to do it. It is going to be a month or so before I get to it.

I should have mentioned that the second hand lawn mower engine oil does not darken a white paper after a half season of use. It is as clean as the day it was changed.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
Last fall I bought an Echo backpack blower to remove leaves from our long driveway. They had two nearly identical models. As I found out afterwards one with a cat and one without - same price and features. The one with the cat is rated 1db quieter. The cat is integrated with the muffler and you can't tell it is even there so I couldn't tell when purchasing it. I chose the quieter that happened to have the cat.
I was a little nervous at first thinking this would be a big mess like the cat equipped Yamaha RD350 disaster. The thing runs great, makes no visible smoke and doesn't even smell like the 2-stroke it is. The caveat is that I need to use the really good, not really expensive Echo synthetic (I think) oil. Modern 2 stroke pre-mix oils are very clean burning and much less likely to clog a cat than the bean oils of the past.
Cats on small power equipment just means you have to use good fuel mixes in 2 strokes (no big deal) and will be utterly transparent for the 4 strokes from those manufacturers that have any thought about what they are doing.
yea i know most riding mowers have OHV engines but most of the pushmowers ive seen still have the ol flat head design. i would think makign a more efficent carb would improve fuel consumption. if there was less fuel used per use it would be less emmissions and well better FE. i still dont trust the idea of a cat system. it might work now since its new but give it 10+ years
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #17
FE nut

The whole idea of putting a cat on lawnmowers smells a bit fishy to me, ie. someone is trying to make some extra money. I fully believe that a properly tuned engine along with the more efficient carb that was mentioned by VetteOwner would completely eliminate the need for a cat. This goes double for cars. In fact, I suspect that there are many cars now that don't need a cat on them.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #18

Agreed on*if*the catalyst being necessary to make exhausts clean - although I am in favor of cleaner burning ICE in any application . There are quite a few cars that could indeed go w/o a catalyst and still be certified 'clean' (but they wouldn't pass a visual in a few states )

A more efficient carb would be a much cheaper alternative to the metals needed for a proper catalyst . As far as 'properly tuned' engine , well - the manufacturer *has* to plan for the lowest common denominator in this case as *most* don't tune up until there is a problem (and then they only do just enough to get it working again)
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #19
*shrug*

I will agree that a properly tuned engine can likely go with a carb...but engines fall out of tune, especially when you're looking at something like a lawnmower being used for 20 years. They're backups, perhaps, but useful ones.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Supporting Member

I'm not opposed to the idea of a cat on small engines. Why not make something better? flat head motors are just not as efficient as hemi-style chambers, and pushrod motors aren't as efficient as OHV, carbs and FI. Just because something is cheap, and common doesn't mean new technology won't be cheap and common in the future. Once a product hits mass production you're talking pennies on the dollar, (sure they'll pass it on to the consumer as the later). People just need to learn to recycle better instead of throwing everything away. Think of all the good parts that are destroyed constantly in the auto recycling industry. People just have to have new stuff and thats why its got to be cheap, cheap and disposable.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote