Somender Singh grooves - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Somender Singh grooves

I know diamondlarry has Somender's grooves in his Saturn's head.

http://www.somender-singh.com/

Has anyone else ran them? I put them in my flat head lawnmower's head and everything Somender claimed with respect to flat head engines seems to be true. I have much less unburned hydrocarbon. The exhaust is not as clean as a catalytic converter exhaust but it smells close. The engine has much better low end torque. The spark plug cleaned up. The exhaust valve is running quite clean. Maybe I should post a picture.

I am about to pull the head on my Saturn for only the grooves. That will be quite a bit of work but I am pretty stable at the current mileage and am looking for the next step. I think this might be it.

I am just looking for some more tales of success to motivate me. I wont be doing anything until after this current cycle of the mileage challenge.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Driving on E

I would be more than interested in hearing the results. I'm weary to do it on my Fit, as it's under warranty.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
*shrug*

I don't have a quench space, so I haven't done it,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

lawnmowers havent changed since the 60's... mostly cuz they produce abrely any noticeable emmisions the way they are...

but like evryone else wouldnt milling or grooving the head change the compression? that and heads are not cheap so why fudge up somehting that works..
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

LOL
its comming off if it comes into my hands!
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
*shrug*

What's the point of taking it off?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Registered Member

cuz mowers are ment to be very simple (which they are) and when you start adding a bunch of BS crap to them then more problems arise and before we know it were going to have computer controled lawnmower engines...which is more crap to break.... heck were prolly going to have intelegent robotic lawnmowers here soon. we already do but they suck and just keep bounicng accross the yard and accualy miss alot of spots (not spots but like huge patches)

not to mention the added weight and size of thigns liek weed whackers and chainsaws which you couldnt even put a cat type of thing on it cuz they run of 2 cycle...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
I am just looking for some more tales of success to motivate me. I wont be doing anything until after this current cycle of the mileage challenge.
This should keep you busy - and interested - for a long time.
Dynamically Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
cuz mowers are ment to be very simple (which they are) and when you start adding a bunch of BS crap to them then more problems arise and before we know it were going to have computer controled lawnmower engines...which is more crap to break.... heck were prolly going to have intelegent robotic lawnmowers here soon. we already do but they suck and just keep bounicng accross the yard and accualy miss alot of spots (not spots but like huge patches)

not to mention the added weight and size of thigns liek weed whackers and chainsaws which you couldnt even put a cat type of thing on it cuz they run of 2 cycle...
My aunt has a 4-stroke weed whacker. I've used it quite a bit and it works very well...I don't recall it breaking...

Sometime's there are reasons for things to be the way they are. My house has had the same mower since I have been alive (19 years), and it's never stopped working once, how much could adding a cat really change that?
Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
My aunt has a 4-stroke weed whacker. I've used it quite a bit and it works very well...I don't recall it breaking...

Sometime's there are reasons for things to be the way they are. My house has had the same mower since I have been alive (19 years), and it's never stopped working once, how much could adding a cat really change that?
if it clogs it will cause a whole host of running problems, prolly cant incorporate a cat and a muffler so theres gonna be exhaust pipe that will rust out. unless they make it out of expensive stainless steel... they would have to make soem radical changes to the whole engine dsign to make it more efficent and fuel/emmisions friendly