SuperMID M1, MPG Computer - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 PM   #61
Registered Member

Re: The rest of the Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
The drive home sucked! Wet roads, snow falling and a moderate headwind, 32F. The SuperMID said 47.5 MPG. Bleh. I wish I had somewhere to plug in the EBH at work. Thinking about using the battery to power my 400W inverter for the EBH about an hour before leaving work. Prolly drain the battery. meh
I'm desperate for a EBH too. I park my car outside so I can't have an EBH. Maybe you should buy another prius since the wife has yours or maybe just wait till the 3rd gen prius comes out.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:59 AM   #62
Registered Member

Re: The rest of the Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Maybe you should buy another prius since the wife has yours or maybe just wait till the 3rd gen prius comes out.
I have come to the conclusion that for my daily commute, a hybrid doeasn't make sense. I can come within 20% of the Prius mileage and I spent 1/5 of what a new hybrid. It would take a bazillion years to get a return on investment. I can also work on it myself. Much less complicated than a hybrid. And if I screw something up, parts are a dime a dozen to fix what I broke. It's a win-win stiuation for me. Plus my mieage is better than 80% of Prius and HCH drivers.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:55 AM   #63
Registered Member

You can try installing the

You can try installing the same device as in your prius in your car. It keeps the coolant warm up to 3 days. It should be in your front bumper on the left.(in the prius)

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #64
Registered Member

Re: First Commute with Calibrated SuperMID.

Quote:
The trip distance showed 40.61 km, compared to my Prius distance of 41.04. The difference is probably due to the momentary IGN off during shut down. Half a km feels about right.

The FE was 22.23 km/L or 52.3 MPG. This feels abolut right to because the trip to work ends at a lower elevation so the trip back should be less and bring the number down between 51 and 52, where my last three tanks ended up. So the calibration seems close.
Thank you for your report.

I think the reading value "22.23 km/L or 52.3 MPG" was not accurate because the distance was not accurate if you used the IGN-OFF method.
The fuel usage can be accurate within 1% or less.

I believe it is better idea to record following numbers.
1. Trip distance from Del Sol
2. Fuel usage from SuperMID M-1
3. Calculate the mileage value using above two
4. Fuel usage from your digital meter for reference
5. Trip distance from SuperMID for reference
6. Parameters(Fuel/Distance) on SuperMID for reference

How do you think?
Yoshi
GasSavers_Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 AM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
Quote:
The trip distance showed 40.61 km, compared to my Prius distance of 41.04. The difference is probably due to the momentary IGN off during shut down. Half a km feels about right.

The FE was 22.23 km/L or 52.3 MPG. This feels abolut right to because the trip to work ends at a lower elevation so the trip back should be less and bring the number down between 51 and 52, where my last three tanks ended up. So the calibration seems close.
Thank you for your report.

I think the reading value "22.23 km/L or 52.3 MPG" was not accurate because the distance was not accurate if you used the IGN-OFF method.
The fuel usage can be accurate within 1% or less.

I believe it is better idea to record following numbers.
1. Trip distance from Del Sol
2. Fuel usage from SuperMID M-1
3. Calculate the mileage value using above two
4. Fuel usage from your digital meter for reference
5. Trip distance from SuperMID for reference
6. Parameters(Fuel/Distance) on SuperMID for reference

How do you think?
Yoshi
Remember that because of the oversized tires, the odometer under registers by 3.4% So I would have to add 3.4% to the trip odometer and use the SuperMID fuel measurement to get the most accurate calculation.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #66
Registered Member

Quote:
Remember that because of the oversized tires, the odometer under registers by 3.4% So I would have to add 3.4% to the trip odometer and use the SuperMID fuel measurement to get the most accurate calculation.
I'm confused what the real distance was.
Is the 41.04 was the adjusted(3.4%) value from your Del Sol?
Would like to see raw values of distance, from M-1 and Del Sol.
I think your report on "Digital Fuel Gauge" thread was very systematic.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #67
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm confused what the real distance was.
Is the 41.04 was the adjusted(3.4%) value from your Del Sol?
Would like to see raw values of distance, from M-1 and Del Sol.
I think your report on "Digital Fuel Gauge" thread was very systematic.
Yoshi,
The 41.04 value came from the SuperMID that was on the Prius. The round trip as measured by the SuperMID on the Prius was 83.43km or 51.73 miles. The distance was perfectly calibrated with a 50 mile of mileposts on various highways.

Since I have oversized tires on the del sol, the odometer under registers by 3.4% as calculated by the same milepost method.

The del sol odometer shows 49.75 miles for the round trip. When you adjust by 3.4% for the larger tires, that calculates to 51.44. So the difference between the 51.73 Prius measurement and the 51.44 del sol adjusted measurement would be the distance lost from IGnition off - on while coasting. I will just use the SuperMID figure, even though this will result in 3 miles of unregistered distance for each tank. That translates into 0.3 MPG lower than actual.

I hope that answers your question.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #68
Registered Member

Dan, Thank you comments.

Dan, Thank you comments.
Let me clarify...
- The 41.04 km came from SuperMID from Prius before, and it was right on the actual.
- The 40.61 km came from current SuperMID setting.
- The 0.43 km difference was caused by the IGN-OFF method, but this was not sure.
- The 22.23 km/L came from current SuperMID setting where was the 40.61 km distance display.
- The fuel usage was 40.61 / 22.23 = 1.827 L
- The real (or the best estimated) mileage was 41.04 / 1.827 = 22.46 km/L = 52.85 MPG

This is my thought.
Yoshi
Old 03-02-2006, 06:02 AM   #69
Registered Member

Re: Dan, Thank you comments.

Quote:
Dan, Thank you comments.
Let me clarify...
- The 41.04 km came from SuperMID from Prius before, and it was right on the actual.
- The 40.61 km came from current SuperMID setting.
- The 0.43 km difference was caused by the IGN-OFF method, but this was not sure.
- The 22.23 km/L came from current SuperMID setting where was the 40.61 km distance display.
- The fuel usage was 40.61 / 22.23 = 1.827 L
- The real (or the best estimated) mileage was 41.04 / 1.827 = 22.46 km/L = 52.85 MPG

This is my thought.
Yoshi
Yes, everything you have written is correct.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #70
Registered Member

FInal Calibration

OK, so I ran one full tank for calibration purposes. As mentioned in other threads, I supected that my initial calibration was too low based on what the Digital Fuel Gauge was telling me. Well that indeed was the case. It took 10.851 gallons to reach the 2.5OHM mark on the DFG, which is where I filled my last tank to. The SuperMID said 22.38 km/L. That translates to 52.60 MPG. The actual FE was 54.4 MPG. So the SuperMID calibration was 3.4% low. So the final calibration involved increasing the fuel parameter by 3.4%. Considering some of the environmental conditions encountered during this tank, 54MPG is quite good. :-)