The engine's response to HHO injection - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #61
Registered Member

Petrol

Without petrol(gaseline)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxgraphix View Post
If an HHO generator actually can add enough volume to the combustion to get a more complete burn, then the ECU will think your running lean. Then of course it will dump more fuel into the system to keep the EPA and OIL Barrons happy.

So, you would need to hack your ECU and remap the fuel and timing to lean out the mix and somehow regulate the HHO flow to keep from going too lean and frying the motor or total loss of power.

I did it! It works great and my Honda now gets 112mpg!

7eviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #62
Registered Member

Waaaay back up this thread, somebody mentioned computer.

I used Pulstar plugs in my Tundra for a while. There was a performance improvement but no change in the MPG.
So far as I can tell, the computer is set to have 'X' exhaust gas parameters, and the more efficient combustion of the Pulstar plug was negated by the computer adjusting the mixture.

So...it seems to me you need to have a conversation with your cars computer to make any system that modifies combustion.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #63

Yeah, I know I'm resurrecting this thread.......

Shatto, you plan on doing any hydrogen injection to your Tundra?

What other mods have you done to increase FE in these trucks?
Ryanrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrpm View Post
Yeah, I know I'm resurrecting this thread.......

Shatto, you plan on doing any hydrogen injection to your Tundra?

What other mods have you done to increase FE in these trucks?
I have done nothing.

In a while I will be due for tires and will upgrade to the new MPG tires and I may go to a bigger diameter tire, but I have not calculated the difference in RPM/MPG. Then there is messing up the way the computer works problem.

My research says intake and exhaust will improve performance but the possibly one mile per gallon improvement is so low, and the expense of changing out a perfectly servicable system is so high, that even with gas going up......let me put it this way; spending a thousand bucks is too much for the potential savings.

My daddy had a wire that stopped the throttles of his P-38 at maximum power. If he got so scared he kept pushing them for more power, like when tracers were going past him from behind, the wire broke and allowed the water injection system to work and there was a substantial boost in power to get away. Then they replaced the engines.

I have yet to see evidence that any of those fancy water or hydrogen or oxygen systems work. Guess I was really turned off when emails were not responded to. Maybe they just want me to buy their book.

Adding a natural gas system works. A Dutch guy posted an excellent tutorial on modifying his Dakota a while back, but unless I can get ahold of a Honda home hook-up, there aren't enough stations, even around here to justify the expense. Then there is the problem of installation. I need the bed to carry stuff, not fuel tanks.
Here, taxis use CNG because it allows them to use commute lanes when empty and because it is politically correct and because Ford sells the CNG version for about the same price as the gas model but they don't sell the dual fuel.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #65
Registered Member

changing tires shouldn't mess with the computer though your speedometer will be off. it is the equivalent to changing out the rear end gears. basically, you are just gearing it different, the computer shouldn't care.

I am like you and have seen no hard evidence to say that these systems work. many claim they do but (in my opinion) are just out to make a quick buck.

the natural gas thing is interesting since I have gas heat. I wonder if natural gas is cheaper than gasoline compared to efficiency. I wonder if your cost per mile would actually get better with such a system. I know that NG used to be considered expensive. I haven't checked in a while. I just get the bill and send in my check.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #66
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Gearing changes can mess with modern computers that have to compute individual wheel speed differences for ABS and traction control. I don't remember all the issues besides ABS and TC.

With all 4 tires matching, it's hard to get enough gearing change from tire size to cause significant difficulty. Folks building lifted off-road 4x4s deal with it, but I doubt anyone here is looking at that type of size difference.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post

My daddy had a wire that stopped the throttles of his P-38 at maximum power. If he got so scared he kept pushing them for more power, like when tracers were going past him from behind, the wire broke and allowed the water injection system to work and there was a substantial boost in power to get away. Then they replaced the engines.
Interesting Shatto, my dad was supposed to fly a P38, but when they arrived at their assignment they realized they were going to fly a B17. Fall of 1943.
He flew 30 missions over Europe from Christmas eve of 43 until D-Day.

I always wondered what would have happened to a P38 if they had replaced the Allisons with Merlins, like they did in the P51.

regards
gary
Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #68
Registered Member

traction control might be an issue but I always thought it looked at the different speeds of the tires themselves. basically if the back ones are moving faster than the front ones and not the actuall speed of the tire as it can't really tell the actual speed of the road moving beneath it. I really haven't looked into it though. many of the statements above are assumptions and I freely admit it.

I changed the gears in my truck from 3.55s to 4.10s one guy told me to borrow som 26" slicks and it would give me a feel of the gearing since I had 29" tires on my truck (all are outer diameter). I didn't do it but am glad that I changed the gears. I also got lucky because the speed pickup in my truc was on the axle so the speedo wasn't even off.

I assume as you do that he is talking about an inch or so difference in outer diameter and probably not much more. overall a very small percentage of change

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #69
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That is my understanding of how traction control works too, but for reasons that I don't understand changing the tire size really does affect it.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
I always wondered what would have happened to a P38 if they had replaced the Allisons with Merlins, like they did in the P51.
I don't recall an opposite rotation Merlin being available. I think there were griffons though, but they had altitude issues.

edit: doh, no the griffon was a success it was the peregrine I was thinking of..

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote