Throttle Limiter? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Throttle Limiter?

well on my throttle body, there is a tab that sticks out and stops the throttle body at what seems to be, right before full throttle. i had always been thinking of ways to grind it down to let the throttle travel further, but yesterday, i thought of drilling a hole, tapping some threads, and threading a bolt in from the back to act like a throttle limiter. only let me get to 80% or 70% throttle or whatever. then when i go to the desert or offroading or something i can back it off and get the power back.

anyone ever tried anything like this? id take pics when i do it, but i dont have a camera.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Sounds like it'd work great for what you want it to.

I wouldn't recommend grinding down the tab to allow the Throttle Plate to open further though. It would more than likely trip a Check engine light as teh throttle position sensor would go beyond its limit then.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

I would think this could pose a safety issue as there are definetly times when you may need full throttle to avoid an accident. I would rather try to limit my right foot.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
My brain/muscle motor skill is my throttle limiter

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

all good points i belive, that and any time you drill a hole in the tb you create a vaccum leak threat(pesky things that can be hard to detect and can make a good engien run crappy in a seconds)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

well damn, i need some kind of throttle limiter. i dont have the self control to do it myself.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

lol well just try harder. or try putting your foot so it rubs on the center tunel while still pressign gas, aot easier to keep the pedal steady
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

ok, im gonna drive slow this tank, and after i fill up, im gonna put in my old mass air flow sensor, and see if my mileage goes up. if it doesnt, im gonna replace my o2 sensors, it smells like its running a bit rich, so ill see if its from the maf or the o2 sensor.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #9

go to the auto parts store and pick up a pack of throttle return springs and fit one of them on the gas pedal arm and hook it to something under the dash solid. Adjust slack in the spring so at half throttle or wherever it starts pulling the spring. This is the easiest way to give yourself a reminder not to go past that point. If you need full throttle though a bit of extra spring tension on the last half of the pedal travel is no big deal.

As far as the throttle body stop grinding it down can give you a bit more top end power, just use a voltmeter on the tps to make sure you don't grind it any farther than a tps reading of 4.6V, at 4.7V it will trip a check engine light. 4.63-4.65V on a lot of cars has the throttle blades at 90 degrees.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Tape a squeaky toy to the accelerator pedal. If that doesn't discourage you, try a rotten egg.

Steve Peters is offline   Reply With Quote