Wai - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #21
Registered Member

At least I still broke 40 mpg on this fill even with the snow and very cold weather it came in at 40.211. At least very cold for the Carolina's.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

Well, I'm excited. Today when driving I noticed my IAT was 110F. Hasn't been that high in a while. I was so excited I've started shutting the truck off at red lights again (Plus, I don't need the heat like I did lately).

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #23

I hit 206f today and man did I have no power but the milage was great....
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #24
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, I've heard that over 190F was "bad", but nobody has ever gone into detail as to why. Maybe its because the power drops off too much after that point? I should experiment in The Beast, as that has pleanty of power to spare.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #25

I'm going to leave it as is till this tank is burned up or I throw a code then I'll add some cooler air to the mix
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I recently started running a WAI type system in the Durango and I can say I've found yet another car in which it doesn't work. I made a trip to El Paso 1/17/09 and got 16.03 mpg there and 14.65 back. Since the elevation in Albuquerque is a good 2000ft above El Paso getting better there and worse back makes sense to me.

After the removal of the snorkel intake air temps runs about 100 degrees above ambient(as opposed to the only 20-40 with the cool air snorkel) and this weekend I went there and back yielding only 15.71 and 14.22. That's a .3mpg drop there and a .4 drop back. Same speeds both time, same ac usage, same speed as verified by PCMScan, and I used the same pumps. The first trip had more city mileage mixed in with the freeway time. It wasn't much warmer outside either, maybe 15 degrees difference between the trips, this last one being the hotter of the two.

The cold air snorkel went back on today. This is my second vehicle to loose mileage with the introduction of warm air intake. The Tracker had a mass-flow EFI system and this one is speed-density. What are you guys doing differently to make your vehicles get better mileage with warm air?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I recently started running a WAI type system in the Durango and I can say I've found yet another car in which it doesn't work. I made a trip to El Paso 1/17/09 and got 16.03 mpg there and 14.65 back. Since the elevation in Albuquerque is a good 2000ft above El Paso getting better there and worse back makes sense to me.

After the removal of the snorkel intake air temps runs about 100 degrees above ambient(as opposed to the only 20-40 with the cool air snorkel) and this weekend I went there and back yielding only 15.71 and 14.22. That's a .3mpg drop there and a .4 drop back. Same speeds both time, same ac usage, same speed as verified by PCMScan, and I used the same pumps. The first trip had more city mileage mixed in with the freeway time. It wasn't much warmer outside either, maybe 15 degrees difference between the trips, this last one being the hotter of the two.

The cold air snorkel went back on today. This is my second vehicle to loose mileage with the introduction of warm air intake. The Tracker had a mass-flow EFI system and this one is speed-density. What are you guys doing differently to make your vehicles get better mileage with warm air?
A couple things that could be happening that come to mind are that maybe your detonating with the higher IAT's and your knock sensor is retarding the timing .Or possibly if you don't have a separate baro sensor the fuel mixture is slightly off going to different altitudes. A few things could be happening with the change in altitude actually. maybe its not the best test environment to prove the mod as not working. Another thing that comes to mind is your egr. I don't think egr knows the exact combustion temps or EGT, but it might somehow be opening more. I'm just throwing out ideas here. I don't know exactly how your computer system works.
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Knocking is possible. The first time I'd ever heard that thing knock it did after the WAI was in use going up a mountain.

My 360 isn't equipped with EGR.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Knocking is possible. The first time I'd ever heard that thing knock it did after the WAI was in use going up a mountain.

My 360 isn't equipped with EGR.

so it did knock with the wai. if its knocking at all it would probably be a good idea to take it off. or try a higher octane fuel. It would be interesting to see the mileage with higher octane. In theory a higher octane burns slower though, which would throw of the optimal timing programed into the computer from the factory. Pretty sure there's no way for a computer to know what octane your using.
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #30
Registered Member

My last fill came in at 46.708 mpg although it was only a 5.879 gallon fill I know it's accurate because the tank was filled to cap at the beginning of the tank and refilled to the cap. I'm really curious to see what this is going to do for engine temperatures during the summer, I'm wondering if it's going to cause the engine to run too hot. If it doesn't effect engine temperature too much it should yield some good numbers this summer in 90-100* weather and summer blend gas. The worst fill I've had since using the WAI is 40.211 and we had about a 4" snow and temperatures in the teen's and twenties during that tank, but I've had 2 tanks at over 46.7 mpg. Right now the current tank is looking really good, but the forecast is for about 4 days of rain so I'm pretty sure that will have a negative impact.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote