water injection and engine vacuum question - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2007, 02:24 AM   #31
Registered Member

Update:

I have cut the top off my plastic 2-gallon gas container with a handsaw so that I may more easily attach the suction, recirc, and vent bulkheads. Also, I am cutting the large flat sides of a plastic Kerosene jug into strips, notching them, drilling 1/8" holes near the bottom edges, and assembling them in a tic-tac-toe configuration. These will act like baffles so that sloshing around while driving does not starve the suction diptube of liquid.

I will post pics when I get the "feed tank" assembly assembled. I also need a universal fuel filter to prevent particles from clogging the injector nozzle.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:37 AM   #32
Registered Member

how do you plan to attach everything? i'm hesitating to device anything that involves cutting and glueing PE plastic as almost nothing bonds to it, and i'm worried that whathever does might be desolved by alcohol or watever i might mix in the water in the future... it will at least need some antifreeze with these temps... i hope i can do some work on my setup soon.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Got the parts needed. I have a check valve, and bubbler, and a control valve from a pet shop (or walmart), and then a 1/8 to 3/8 hose convertor, and a 3/8" universal fuel filter. It will be hooked up to the vacuum port just after my TB that has vacuum increase as RPMs do. Bubbler will be the pickup (also a coarse filter), with the control valve in the soft drink cap to regulate flow, then the two adapters will splice in the fuel filter, then back to the 1/8 hose to the check valve then to the vacuum port. The coke bottle will be located in my hand to begin with, then maybe in the engine bay after I get the flow tuned. It's not meant as a fuel saving device directly, but I hope to slowly steam clean everything past that port and get my FE through cleaner parts.

Bubbler, check valve, adapters, 8' of hose, and control valve were about 2 each, and the fuel filter is 2.49. I got the fuel filter just because, and went 3/8 because most full size cars in Japan have 3/8 inch vacuum ports.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #34
Registered Member

these bubbler stones... how much do they actually bubble? i'm thinking of replacing it with a small tube with some flexible packing foam in it... i've just tried this and when i blow in the end of the tube while holding the other end under water it makes a lot if fine bubble that jump up into my face.... so in a closed emvirement this should produce small water doplets in the air.
might this work or do i need more bubbly power?
if it doenn't work i can still use it as a filter..

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
I won't be using them as a bubbler, at least in this stage. I would be using them purely as a filter. My school has them, and they bubble, but as far as good water droplets, I don't know how uniform your driving is, and I see this as being the biggest problem. I think that steam might be a more uniform way of getting water into the engine if you don't want to just suck water in.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #36
Registered Member

I am going to use an old crappy soldering iron to melt, i.e. weld, the poly container.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote