Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Diesels are very efficent at idle? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/diesels-are-very-efficent-at-idle-2053.html)

SVOboy 05-25-2006 08:25 PM

Holy cow, that's fantastic.

My friend's parent used to have that truck, he loved it, and since he's been looking for another to replace his lost childhood.

Wow, all 3-4 (counting hurts) months you left it idling.

kickflipjr 05-25-2006 08:39 PM

Diesels seem like a good for city driving.

So, I guess this confirms what i already thought. Diesels are the idle masters.

Terrh 05-26-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Holy cow, that's fantastic.

My friend's parent used to have that truck, he loved it, and since he's been looking for another to replace his lost childhood.

Wow, all 3-4 (counting hurts) months you left it idling.

yeah, I'd love to find another one too.. best truck ever. Could've used a bit more power (only has 59HP brand new) but they last forever if you keep the body alive and are so easy and fun to drive.

I know of one about 30 miles from me with 500,000 miles on it, guy takes really good care of it though and it looks brand new.

philmcneal 05-27-2006 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrh
yeah, I'd love to find another one too.. best truck ever. Could've used a bit more power (only has 59HP brand new) but they last forever if you keep the body alive and are so easy and fun to drive.

I know of one about 30 miles from me with 500,000 miles on it, guy takes really good care of it though and it looks brand new.

why do diesels engine last longer than gasoline engines? because diesels are much better lubricated?

I wonder how long a gasoline engine can idle for before dying haha, i'd feel so bad wasting all that gas!

on the plus side diesel is cheaper than gasoline at the moment!

GasSavers_Brock 10-11-2006 01:07 PM

bumping an old thread, but I have a TDI and once it’s warm at idle it consumes .2L per hour.

Rstb88 10-11-2006 04:44 PM

jst buy an engine block heater for at home, or switch to ev so u don't have to worry about it..

cfg83 10-11-2006 05:01 PM

philmcneal -

Quote:

Originally Posted by philmcneal
why do diesels engine last longer than gasoline engines? because diesels are much better lubricated?

I wonder how long a gasoline engine can idle for before dying haha, i'd feel so bad wasting all that gas!

on the plus side diesel is cheaper than gasoline at the moment!

I'd feel bad wasting the gas too, but maybe you could attach a DC->AC inverter and "feed" the extra electricity load it is generating into your house. It wouldn't add much, but it wouldn't be going to waste either.

CarloSW2

rh77 10-11-2006 05:04 PM

No big deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rstb88
jst buy an engine block heater for at home, or switch to ev so u don't have to worry about it..

It's no big deal with the new technology. The "glow plugs" that allow cold starts have advanced in technology, so it'll be easier to start. If it's a Diesel-Hybrid and or plug-in more solutions would be available.

Also, to answer a previous question -- diesels last longer because they're built to withstand the very high compression ratios of the combustion (thicker blocks and sleeves within the cylinder).

RH77

GasSavers_Brock 10-11-2006 06:03 PM

I am with you I very very rarely idle for any lenth of time. I do have a 120vac coolant heater for winter. By the way using the coolant heater increases my MPG by about 10% on a 11 mile trip.

philmcneal 10-12-2006 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
bumping an old thread, but I have a TDI and once it’s warm at idle it consumes .2L per hour.

wow how long does it take for you to warm up? that's insane since it takes me .8L per hour fully warmed up when idling... man no wonder them diesels don't benifit much with an auto-stop feature ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarloSW2
I'd feel bad wasting the gas too, but maybe you could attach a DC->AC inverter and "feed" the extra electricity load it is generating into your house. It wouldn't add much, but it wouldn't be going to waste either.

true but i'm too lazy to find that out.