Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Tire slow leak (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/tire-slow-leak-9832.html)

kamesama980 08-31-2008 09:11 PM

how long ago did you get the tires put on, how long are the stems, and what kind of wheels do you have? I ask because I've seen cracks develop in stems earlier than expected on medium and long stems (usually for steel wheels to extend past the hub-cap) because at high speeds, the stem bends outward from centrifugal force. I've also seen it from using the red/green pressure indicator valve caps (even on short stems) because they're so heavy. *this is over the course of 6 months+ tho. usually stems last 2-5 years (Depending on conditions)

itjstagame 09-15-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 116920)
-over 1psi/month should be looked at.
-if a shop doesn't replace your valve stems with a new tire, take your stuff and get out.
-leaking or not, check your tires at least every month. that way you find out if you have a leak before it's visible (which is pretty low for most people).

I've found aluminum rims are usually OK for the first set of tires or 5 years. once they've been ground with a brushwheel to clean them or regular weathering for a few years they usually need to be cleaned/sealed every 2 years. (unless you have chrysler rims, then it's every 10 months. or chrysler chrome rims then it's every 3)

How do you go about cleaning and sealing them? I have gone through 2 sets of Chrome Lexus Rims so far in just about 2 years. After winter they're always peeling and if I replace the tires they will not hold. No matter how much I grind and how much I goop them they leak. At this point I don't care how ugly they are but a good way to clean them or some kind of paint or sealer that I can let setup before I put the wheel on (like creating a new sealing surface on the rim) would be great.

Everyone is shocked that OEM Lexus rims would do that, I have no idea, I just wish I got the Alloys instead but they're always pricey used when I look.

GasSavers_Erik 09-15-2008 10:38 AM

I have heard that a bead of hardware store silicone caulk on the outside of the bead can take care of this sort of problem- but I haven't ever tried it myself.

bobc455 09-15-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 116920)
-if a shop doesn't replace your valve stems with a new tire, take your stuff and get out.

On the new TPMS valves, they don't need to be replaced.

Re-designed maybe, but theoretically not replaced.

-BC

ffvben 09-19-2008 02:45 PM

nitrogen has almost no oxygen, this lessens the chance for corrosion on the inside of the rim bead. no oxygen=no corrosion.

thisisntjared 09-20-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffvben (Post 119049)
nitrogen has almost no oxygen, this lessens the chance for corrosion on the inside of the rim bead. no oxygen=no corrosion.

by definition nitrogen has no oxygen, because its nitrogen and not oxygen:p

anyway, i bet the rims/wheels are cracked.

petty 10-15-2008 06:12 PM

Have you checked every par of the tire? Maybe there's a cracked from age hat allows some air to slowly escape. I was thinking maybe the stem valve might be failing too.