Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   I got over 20mpg! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/i-got-over-20mpg-11577.html)

theholycow 07-26-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biffmeistro (Post 138695)
Is it now the suggestion that in order to save gas ignore stop signs if you don't see anyone around?

I just reviewed the thread and didn't see that mentioned. To which post are you replying?

Jay2TheRescue 07-26-2009 06:23 AM

I do not recommend violating traffic laws to save fuel.

theclencher 07-26-2009 10:31 AM

What illegal behavior? :confused:

Wyldesoul 07-28-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 138247)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 138242)
Some states/locals require insurance on vehicles that just sit in the driveway

Who's gonna check?

That illegal behaviour, that you were endorsing.

theclencher 07-28-2009 11:30 AM

A vehicle sitting in the driveway does NOT need to be insured in my state hence it is NOT ILLEGAL for me. I'd be surprised if vehicles in the driveway need to be insured in any state. Perhaps someone could cite one of those statutes?

If that is the case somewhere, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps put it in the garage, or put a car cover on it.

Some laws are stupid, not enforced, and yes deserve to be broken.

bobc455 07-28-2009 12:17 PM

Just a note about Massachusetts, since every state is different...

A few years ago, I had an uninsured / unregistered / etc. car sitting in my garage. Due to unfortunate circumstances, the car broke loose and rolled down a hill into a neighbor's garage.

Of course my car insurance wasn't gonna cover it, and if I wanted my homeowners to cover it I would have had to gotten a special addition on to the policy. I had to pay for ALL of the damage out of my own pocket, and it wasn't cheap.

Before then, I figured that a parked car wouldn't have a liability, but I learned the hard way that it was not covered. Now I keep my cars insured, even when I'm not driving them.

-BC

theclencher 07-28-2009 12:23 PM

Here's how insurance works: someone makes a claim and their rates get jacked up enough for the next 3 years to cover it. You still pay more through insurance.

You have to admit, the rolling car was a special circumstance.

theholycow 07-28-2009 03:03 PM

My cars, including my uninsured Buick, often are parked on my steep driveway. :eek:

GasSavers_Shrek 08-04-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biffmeistro (Post 138695)
I thought here at Gas-savers we generally did not endorse illegal behavior, no matter how easy it is to get away with.

Is it now the suggestion that in order to save gas ignore stop signs if you don't see anyone around?

Who's going to catch you if there's nobody around? Might as well blow through the stop sign.

Welcome to Chamois, MO

bowtieguy 08-05-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc455 (Post 138781)
A few years ago, I had an uninsured / unregistered / etc. car sitting in my garage. Due to unfortunate circumstances, the car broke loose and rolled down a hill into a neighbor's garage.

sounds like my luck.

i don't know about the rest of you, but in florida, the combination of homeowners association, nosey neighbors, and code enforcement can really make having a parked car difficult to keep.

jmandidly 11-16-2009 03:09 PM

so what about guys who need these vehicals to tow something. That makes more sense to me, I wanna know what I could do to mine to get better milage when I tow. I can't get rid of mine and I have another car but I use mine on 900 mile trips and I want to know what I can do to save gas, having the 4wd and the v8 because I need it

theholycow 11-16-2009 03:18 PM

When you're towing, it may be tough to do much for fuel economy.

Tire inflation is extremely important for safety when towing; more when towing than any other time, it is necessary to make sure any inflation error is on the side of increased inflation. Underinflated tires will explode quickly under towing load, and stiffer tires help significantly with stability. That safety goal is compatible with fuel economy.

When towing it is also necessary to go slower, while looking and planning ahead more, planning not to depend on your brakes. That is a fuel economy behavior.

You oughtn't pulse & glide while towing, nor should you choose higher gears. That is bad for FE.

You could work on aerodynamic modifications. There is much aerodynamic improvement to be had with most towing combinations. It would be a lot of work and probably quite ugly, though.