Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Civic VX -post your MPG (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/civic-vx-post-your-mpg-9942.html)

add|ct 05-10-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Civic VX -post your MPG

MoS2 in the product I mention is all sub 1 micron in size and many users of it today over at BITOG, even in transmissions IIRC but that is where the debate rests. Not sure about it's use there, however, like any delicate formulation too much 'can' be bad. I wouldn't add MoS2 powder that's for sure, to be clear.

Too much magnesium in oils previously as compared to calcium lead to a decrease in wear protection when compared to calcium; even though both clean it takes more calcium to clean compared to magnesium. Hence the loads of calcium previously in passenger car motor oils when compared to diesel or HDEO; low cal/higher mag.

The VIN on my VX species it is not only made in CAN, like all VX models are, but that is the Canadian model; the Factory Service Manual spelled this out when I looked at it and another user questioned me before on this but it was confirmed. However, it's strange I don't have the DRL though it 'was' sold at a local dealership originally. Just strange VIN mix up perhaps...

That's what it seems like to me at this point, but that is very confusing! lol.

If you haven't heard about Odyssey batteries before:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/

I've got to replace my battery before the summer kills it, it has one bad cell already. I'm getting a local Costco battery, though. (rebranded Johnson Controls)

metalslug 05-17-2012 12:15 AM

I dont have a VX but as you can see with very little Mods, my AT DX with a d16z6 can get good MPG. I have no rear seats and cold air intake. I don't hyper-mill anymore otherwise I can get almost if not 5mpg, since at fuelly you can can see i was almost there hyper-milling.
[IMG]https://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/120284.png[/IMG]

metalslug 05-17-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalslug (Post 167210)
I dont have a VX but as you can see with very little Mods, my AT DX with a d16z6 can get good MPG. I have no rear seats and cold air intake. I don't hyper-mill anymore otherwise I can get almost if not 50mpg*edit correction, since at fuelly you can can see i was almost there hyper-milling.
[IMG]https://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/120284.png[/IMG]

Correction of 50mpg in the above quote, not 5mpg.

VX_Arky 05-17-2012 09:34 PM

I'm not sure what this tank will end up being, but I'm on a monster tank right now. May very likely be my best mpg ever. I love my VX!!!!

1carnut 05-18-2012 02:50 AM

I've only had my VX for a few months. I just completed my first full tank with my MPGuino and got 61.7 MPG. Previous tank was only 52 and change. I was concentrating on trying to get 60 MPG each trip that I made but I found that if I watch the overall tank mileage instead I actually get better per trip mileage that way since it's harder to raise the overall tank mileage.

VX_Arky 05-24-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 167217)
I'm not sure what this tank will end up being, but I'm on a monster tank right now. May very likely be my best mpg ever. I love my VX!!!!

Another week has passed and I'm still rocking on this tank. This is going to be my best tank ever!!! :D

VX_Arky 06-11-2012 01:20 PM

Tank finally hit empty last night. Filled up this afternoon. Numbers were personal bests for FE and mpg. Got 662 miles for the tank overall on 12.03 gallons for an average of 55.1 mpg. Incredible!!!! Take that and stick it where the sun don't shine, Big Oil!!!!!

add|ct 06-11-2012 05:31 PM

^Do you live in an area with stop and go with hills? What is the terrain? Also, what are your tires inflated to? Thanks.

VX_Arky 06-11-2012 09:07 PM

I live in Northeast Arkansas. There are very few hills, but a few. Jonesboro has a population of about 60,000 so the traffic is relatively light most of the time except 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You can do a lot of coasting on the hills that will save a lot of gas but this is not what I would consider "hilly" country like the Ozarks, or parts of Kentucky or Tennessee. In many places it's just downright flat as can be. My tires are maxed out at 44 psi. The ride is a little stiff or bumpy but the mpg's are worth it.

basjoos 06-13-2012 11:49 AM

Have a CX with a VX engine/transmission and extensive aeromods. Mostly rural driving 45 to 65mph with some hypermiling. Get high 60's mpg in the winter and high 70's in the summer.

VX_Arky 06-14-2012 10:14 PM

That's insane dude!!!!

1993CivicVX 06-15-2012 06:58 AM

we love basjoos. I think of his aeromods all the time when I have to go to great lengths to get 70mpg in my stock unmodded VX. Unsafe tire pressures get me there, but ruin my tires too quickly. This spring and summer I've been getting mid 50s to low 70s depending on how I drive and the weather.

hondaman315 06-18-2012 07:50 PM

95 civic vx, very bad gas mileage. 15-20 mpg the first 3/4 of a tank but last 1/4 of a tank 45-50 mpg. any idea what could be happening. no gas leaks i already looked

greasemonkee 06-23-2012 09:51 AM

Another Basjoos inspired petrol conservationist -

Civic CX converted to VX
Grill block calibrated to least allowable opening
Chin spoiler
Kammback
Manual alternator control
AC removed with AC engine mount
Innovate XD16 UEGO controller/monitor

Anti fuel conserving mods:

15x6" eggbeater wheels
Ultra performance summer 195-50-15 tires
Integra type R front/rear suspension
rear subframe brace

Daily route consists of 15% city with 2500' climbs up several curvy mountains where hard braking is required along with considerable WOT operation. Interstate speeds 60-70 mph.

56-57 mpg summer. 580 mile usable range on 11 gallon LX tank.

thinkinglink 07-18-2012 02:10 PM

vehicle: 93 Civic VX
engine: D15B (single solenoid)
odo: 204k
MPG mods: vacuum gauge
last tank MPG: 41
city/hwy: 40%/60%

I was averaging 38mpg until last week when I installed a vacuum gauge. made a world of difference being able to monitor load and adjust my foot work. i installed it about 100 miles into the tank and got 41mpg overall. we'll see the next tank i should get more.. hopefully

mod list
https://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/3246

VX_Arky 07-21-2012 09:03 PM

:) Have run three tanks in a row over 50 mpg!!! These are my best tanks in this car, too. I think the car is now running in tip-top shape after having sat a while being worked on. Everything is broken in and running at optimal levels. I've had tanks averaging 51, 55 and 52 mpg. This little car is amazing!!!!:)

add|ct 07-27-2012 01:09 AM

Found out I have a coolant leak(probably the head gasket), engine mounts, and IACV replacement needs. Yay! I'd really like to know some details on your VX Arky.

For instance, what model tires do you have specifically? Thanks!

Is the 02 sensor the original?

mattfree 08-12-2012 09:44 PM

My last tank I got 39 miles to the gallon. I was driving in the mountains for half of the tank. It almost seems like my VX gets closer to 44 around town and less on the highway.

notorious_eg 08-21-2012 11:23 AM

vehicle: 95 Civic VX (stock)
odo: apx 180K
MPG mods: none
Worst tank avg = 36 MPG
Best tank avg = 53 MPG

During the cooler parts of the year when I don't need to run the A/C, I get around 44-49 mpg. In the summer when I have to run the A/C all the time, I get around 38 mpg.

I'm near sea level.Commute is around 40mins to an hour in traffic - lots of stop and go even on the 'highway' (rush hour).

new O2, always maintained
5w30
13" VX rims
185/60/13

I've made some changes recently though, so I may have updates later on.

notorious_eg 08-21-2012 11:29 AM

Can't figure out how to edit my post above, but wanted to add the following info:

Mileage is 280K (not 180K)

EGR & manifold ports have been cleaned, but saw no change in mpg.
I normally run 33-35 psi in the front tires, and 30-32 psi in the rear.

add|ct 08-21-2012 02:36 PM

^My experience seems similar to yours. What brand 02 sensor did you get?

notorious_eg 08-25-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add|ct (Post 167854)
^My experience seems similar to yours. What brand 02 sensor did you get?

I'm assuming you're addressing me. I looked up the info this morning:

NTK NGK 24300 Oxygen Sensor

ordered from OxygenSensor.Net

add|ct 08-31-2012 09:49 PM

Thanks. I've considered getting the 24300 before.

I have been trying to get my idling issues fixed, and I also have a headgasket job in the future.

However, I just used a tank treatment of Red Line SI-1 and the idle/acceleration has improved along with the adjustments relative to the low idle issue.

Next to fix the coolant leak! Still getting only 40 MPG or so with my relatively short commutes (majority of trips are 5 miles or less).

mattfree 09-06-2012 07:24 PM

Since not all gas stations will top off your tank the same. One half a gallon when you are only filling up six gallons of a ten gallon tank, makes a big difference on what your fuel economy appears to be. So I got 47 miles to the gallon with my last fill up. Also I just installed a new muffler the old one had a blow out. I am hoping the little extra back pressure may help the O2 sensor work properly for a little more mpg's.

VX_Arky 07-29-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by add|ct (Post 167731)
Found out I have a coolant leak(probably the head gasket), engine mounts, and IACV replacement needs. Yay! I'd really like to know some details on your VX Arky.

For instance, what model tires do you have specifically? Thanks!

Is the 02 sensor the original?

My tires are Michelin LRRs at 44 psi. The O2 sensor was replaced when the car was restored two years ago. Sorry, but I hadn't read this thread in a long time and I just saw your question!!! I can give you the model number of the tires if you'd like. Hope that helps!

This car was restored by a forum member on here, Chris, who goes by the name "Honda Guy" ... He can give you all kinds of details of the work he did to get my VX back on the road. He did a fantastic job.

VX_Arky 08-07-2013 10:17 PM

Just smashed a tank at 56.4 mpg and that was 70 percent city driving. This car is killing it and saving me some serious $$$$ at the pump!!!!!

nitebluesky 08-12-2013 01:14 AM

I just installed a vx motor in my 89 dx sedan with a dx tranny yesterday. Ill wait til this tank is done to tell you the results.

1993CivicVX 09-07-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky (Post 170505)
Just smashed a tank at 56.4 mpg and that was 70 percent city driving. This car is killing it and saving me some serious $$$$ at the pump!!!!!

That's insane! But I am dubious that the fill up was to the same point in the tank as what it was at at the beginning of the tank. Did you employ any hypermiling techniques? How many gallons was the tank?

My last tank I drove 654 miles. :D Kinda hard to believe! Filled up 10.4 gallons for just under 63mpg. Over 80% highway driving. Lotta hills, though. 60% of the tank had some kind of cargo such as a desk I was hauling around in the back and a passenger I took to the airport with two bags.

1993CivicVX 09-22-2013 02:18 PM

Last tank went a whopping 688.5 miles on less than 10 gallons of gas for a 1/2 mpg shy of 70mpg.

gtr09 09-27-2013 12:53 AM

I'm getting anywhere from 37 to 44mpg on my 94 VX. On the 93 I can't tell, the speedo and odometer doesn't work at the moment.