Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Gas prices up (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/gas-prices-up-9972.html)

Jay2TheRescue 09-15-2008 07:44 AM

I notice that exit 3 and exit 29 trade off as the cheapest gas in southern Georgia along I-95. Dad likes exit 3 because the Petro has a Church's fried Chicken in it, and there's no Church's near his home. I like exit 29 because the Flying J's are always so nice and clean, and I have a flying J discount card. I usually get 1 or 2 cents a gallon off of their posted prices. On my next trip though I may not stop at the Flying J's because I suspect that Flying J only sells E10. On my next trip I am going to try and do it on "E Zero" if I can find it.

-Jay

dkjones96 09-15-2008 09:01 AM

Gas prices in Houston went up pretty good over the weekend! First time I'd seen gasoline more expensive than diesel in a long time. $4.94 for regular gas and $4.19 for diesel.

Good stuff.

Project84 09-15-2008 03:23 PM

Here in Northern KY very near CVG airport, gas was 3.99 Saturday, $4.15 Sunday, and $4.29 today.

BS.

GasSavers_GasUser 09-15-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itjstagame (Post 118595)
When I drove by Exit 10 it was at $3.69, I wasn't there yesterday but I suspect it was $3.59 or lower because everything else in CP was just above this yesterday.

Where in Upstate are you?

You are probably not far from where I am then. I am in Ballston Spa. The cheapest ones here are at the corner of Rt50 and 67. Not cheap enough to go too far out of your way though. (I say cheap biting my tongue, because fuel is not cheap)

KU40 09-15-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkjones96 (Post 118623)
Gas prices in Houston went up pretty good over the weekend! First time I'd seen gasoline more expensive than diesel in a long time. $4.94 for regular gas and $4.19 for diesel.

Good stuff.

holy cow. Ours in Kansas went up. Was 3.37 on Friday, 3.59 today. Shoulda filled up then instead of today. doh.

Ford Man 09-16-2008 07:58 AM

A Charlotte, NC news station reported last night that several of the higher priced stations were alerted by the state yesterday that they were being investigated by the state for price gouging and were going to be required to show receipts of their gas purchases from the supplier, showing what they had to pay for the gas and how much was purchased and the supplier was going to have to do the same and on up the line so they can find out who the culprit is that's causing the tremendous price hikes. My dad lives in KY and he said the state was also doing an investigation on price gouging there. As of Sunday I was told there was still one station in my immediate area (within 10 miles) that was $3.69.9 and everywhere else I have seen is at $4.29. How is it that one station can sell its gas $.60 a gallon cheaper than everyone else if there's no price gouging going on?

GasSavers_ColonelPanic 09-16-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project84 (Post 118660)
Here in Northern KY very near CVG airport, gas was 3.99 Saturday, $4.15 Sunday, and $4.29 today.

BS.

Yep, that's crazy, hopefully you're doing alright up there and still have power... I'm seeing the same around Louisville. 87 was at or below $3.99 on Friday, but with Ike approaching Texas they started raising the prices that afternoon. I was seeing $4.15-$4.21 on Saturday. Then the remnants of Ike hit and did some serious damage to the area, knocking out power to the majority of the area and many are still without power and will be so for a week or more. I saw $4.35 yesterday, and one report on the news showed a sign showing $4.99.

With everyone in the dark, gas has suddenly become a precious resource. Those stations that do have power either have bone dry tanks or have some seriously long lines. The news shows people running out of gas waiting in line, and some are even getting into fights over it. It's chaos. I've never seen anything like this before. Glad I topped off before this mess.

KU40 09-17-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 118719)
A Charlotte, NC news station reported last night that several of the higher priced stations were alerted by the state yesterday that they were being investigated by the state for price gouging and were going to be required to show receipts of their gas purchases from the supplier, showing what they had to pay for the gas and how much was purchased and the supplier was going to have to do the same and on up the line so they can find out who the culprit is that's causing the tremendous price hikes. My dad lives in KY and he said the state was also doing an investigation on price gouging there. As of Sunday I was told there was still one station in my immediate area (within 10 miles) that was $3.69.9 and everywhere else I have seen is at $4.29. How is it that one station can sell its gas $.60 a gallon cheaper than everyone else if there's no price gouging going on?

Interesting. Certainly sounds like gouging might be the case there. As it turns out, I think speculation was the only cause for the hike I mentioned here earlier. It was 3.59 on Monday, then dropped to 3.47 yesterday and is 3.37 today, even lower than before the hurricane hit. That has to be proof that it was a purely speculatory price hike.

Ford Man 09-17-2008 10:00 AM

The news last night reported that several stations in the area had been supenoed to show why there prices increased so much so fast. I think all of the publicity has gotten several of the stations thinking, because I was out last night and noticed that several of the higher stations had dropped their prices $.30 a gallon even though some stations are still not getting deliveries as regular as they would like. Personally I hope they burn their greedy @$$e$.

itjstagame 09-17-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasUser (Post 118671)
You are probably not far from where I am then. I am in Ballston Spa. The cheapest ones here are at the corner of Rt50 and 67. Not cheap enough to go too far out of your way though. (I say cheap biting my tongue, because fuel is not cheap)

Yup I live in Troy and work in CP and during the summer regularly go to Saratoga or Northville. Over the winter the best I found was Exit 10, but he's been getting a lot of customers lately and doesn't seem that cheap any more. Have you seen albanygasprices.com it's a good one. Right now easiest for me is just off of Exit 9 there's a USA that's always cheap. I just got some there at $3.63 and last I knew (about 1 week ago) it was $3.59 so I'd say we're definately not seeing any increase. I hope the courts solve your problem down there it's ludacris.

But then again I remember when Katrina hit our gas prices went up .30-.50-1.00 very quickly and talking to people in the south they were really confused because they didn't go up at all. And supposedly same thing, fuel shortage caused by Katrina damage but then why would FL, GA and the carolinas not be affected at all.

I fully understand the need to have a reserve capital on hand in case prices suddenly shoot up for crude and for a while the price of crude was appropriately inflated to justify their crap, but seriously I haven't seen any international news of supply really being down in the last 3+ years and meanwhile Mobil has increased their profitability about 100 fold to the tune of over 3 billion/year or something. Clearly they don't need all that in case gas crude goes up and they're just increasing profit margin because they can.

Ford Man 09-17-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 118466)

I remember the original gas crisis. One dealer was charging twice the normal price. I think it was $1.69 a gallon in 1973 (old old memories). People were paying the price when it was not available anywhere else.

When you have been in business, you might understand some of the complexities of protecting your income.

I too remember the so called gas shortage of the early 70's when gas went from approximately $.30 gallon up to around $.65 per gallon, but as soon as the oil companies got the prices where they wanted them the crisis was over. Then a few years later in the late 70's early 80's I don't remember what they used as their gimmick for raising prices that time, but that is when gas went to approximately $1.00-$1.25 per gallon. Then a couple years ago there suddenly became a shortage of refineries and that is when this last price increase started. I don't know what the price of crude is right now but I know Monday that it was at about $95. a barrel from an all time high of about $147. which is a drop of just over 35%, but gas prices haven't reflected a 35% decrease. As a matter of fact since the summer's high,
before Ike of $4.099 gas had only dropped to $3.659 which is less than an 11% drop. The pricing I used for my example is in the immediate area around my home. (Within 10 miles) I have operated business of my own several years ago and I found that being fair and treating your customers the way you would like to be treated usually brings them back.

Ford Man 09-17-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itjstagame (Post 118816)
But then again I remember when Katrina hit our gas prices went up .30-.50-1.00 very quickly and talking to people in the south they were really confused because they didn't go up at all. And supposedly same thing, fuel shortage caused by Katrina damage but then why would FL, GA and the carolinas not be affected at all.

I fully understand the need to have a reserve capital on hand in case prices suddenly shoot up for crude and for a while the price of crude was appropriately inflated to justify their crap, but seriously I haven't seen any international news of supply really being down in the last 3+ years and meanwhile Mobil has increased their profitability about 100 fold to the tune of over 3 billion/year or something. Clearly they don't need all that in case gas crude goes up and they're just increasing profit margin because they can.

If memory serves me right I think the Carolina's did see quite of bit of an increase in fuel prices when Katrina hit.

GasSavers_BEEF 09-17-2008 11:04 AM

during the katrina situation, I paid around $4 for gas which was high back then. my sister paid $4.99 for gas but the station she was at was much higher than the rest.

also, I am near greensboro north carolina (reidsville to be exact)

GasSavers_SD26 09-17-2008 11:47 AM

Diesel fuel is $3.99 here in Wisconsin, and that is pretty much a five month low on what I've paid. Been longer since I bought diesel in Wisconsin at that price.

Project84 09-17-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelPanic (Post 118721)
Yep, that's crazy, hopefully you're doing alright up there and still have power... I'm seeing the same around Louisville. 87 was at or below $3.99 on Friday, but with Ike approaching Texas they started raising the prices that afternoon. I was seeing $4.15-$4.21 on Saturday. Then the remnants of Ike hit and did some serious damage to the area, knocking out power to the majority of the area and many are still without power and will be so for a week or more. I saw $4.35 yesterday, and one report on the news showed a sign showing $4.99.

With everyone in the dark, gas has suddenly become a precious resource. Those stations that do have power either have bone dry tanks or have some seriously long lines. The news shows people running out of gas waiting in line, and some are even getting into fights over it. It's chaos. I've never seen anything like this before. Glad I topped off before this mess.

Thanks, hope you did well through the wind storms! I faired pretty well through the storm but I still have friends today w/o power! Yikes... grocery stores tossed out all their perishables in fear of liabilities of selling the goods, that was SAD SAD SAD to say the least... hundreds of thousands of dollars of food thrown out, and they weren't allowing ANYONE to take it.

I haven't paid attention to gas prices because I won't need it for another 10 or 12 days, but I think it's still up around $4.30 for unleaded.

GasSavers_SD26 09-17-2008 12:57 PM

Don't know if any of you use this, but living near a state line and doing traveling, I use this a couple days prior to leaving to plan where I'm going to get gas.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

Don't have as good of a one for diesel, but I use this for diesel.
https://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

KU40 09-17-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 118817)
I don't know what the price of crude is right now but I know Monday that it was at about $95. a barrel from an all time high of about $147. which is a drop of just over 35%, but gas prices haven't reflected a 35% decrease. As a matter of fact since the summer's high,
before Ike of $4.099 gas had only dropped to $3.659 which is less than an 11% drop.

We'll never see a 1:1 relationship between the price of crude oil falling and the amount gas falls. That could only happen if the cost of crude was the only thing going into the cost of gas. But since you have all these other fixed inputs on the price of gas, the relationship cannot be even. However, cost of crude accounts for almost 75% of the cost of gas, so in your example, if crude drops 35%, gas should drop 26%. But obviously something is amiss since it only went down 11%.

GasSavers_SD26 09-18-2008 05:01 AM

Gasoline prices are back below $4 here today. Where's the thread on it?

KU40 09-18-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 118904)
Gasoline prices are back below $4 here today. Where's the thread on it?

Only the bad stuff makes the news.

GasSavers_SD26 09-18-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KU40 (Post 118933)
Only the bad stuff makes the news.

Exactly.

It can go up to infinity, really. Going down, hey, it's closer to zero that it will ever be to infinity. :D

GasSavers_GasUser 09-18-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 118937)
Exactly.

It can go up to infinity, really. Going down, hey, it's closer to zero that it will ever be to infinity. :D

Dave......Yea, well it has a significant affect on our economy (make that world economy) so I would like to see it a little closer to zero.:D

(from one Dave to another Dave)

Dave

GasSavers_SD26 09-18-2008 03:04 PM

Gas prices down

LOL! Yeah, me too. I run used engine oil in my diesels when I have some. It's about as close to $0 as I can get. :thumbup:

KU40 09-18-2008 03:11 PM

I just filled up at 3.19. So gas is definitely.....down. I think that's the lowest it's been in at least 6-7 months.

GasSavers_SD26 09-18-2008 03:15 PM

Gas prices down

Quote:

Originally Posted by KU40 (Post 118974)
I just filled up at 3.19. So gas is definitely.....down. I think that's the lowest it's been in at least 6-7 months.

Where do you live at? We're still seeing $4 here, but we're taxed heavily and have stupid EPA mandated boutique fuels here. Looks like the last time we saw $3.19 was about the same time period though.

Ford Man 09-18-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KU40 (Post 118890)
We'll never see a 1:1 relationship between the price of crude oil falling and the amount gas falls. That could only happen if the cost of crude was the only thing going into the cost of gas. But since you have all these other fixed inputs on the price of gas, the relationship cannot be even. However, cost of crude accounts for almost 75% of the cost of gas, so in your example, if crude drops 35%, gas should drop 26%. But obviously something is amiss since it only went down 11%.

There is always something amiss when it comes time to start reducing the prices, but there is never any thought put into whether to raise prices or not. Stations don't have any problem with raising prices $.10-$.25 a gallon under normal conditions and $.50-$1.50 in times such as when there is the threat of a hurricane or other disaster, but when dropping it comes down $.02-$.05 a gallon. Even if crude gets back to where it was prior to all the hype when gas was $1.25 a gallon I don't think we will ever see below $2.00 a gallon again and seriously doubt ever seeing less than $2.50 a gallon.

GasSavers_SD26 09-18-2008 04:26 PM

Gas prices falling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 118979)
There is always something amiss when it comes time to start reducing the prices, but there is never any thought put into whether to raise prices or not. Stations don't have any problem with raising prices $.10-$.25 a gallon under normal conditions and $.50-$1.50 in times such as when there is the threat of a hurricane or other disaster, but when dropping it comes down $.02-$.05 a gallon. Even if crude gets back to where it was prior to all the hype when gas was $1.25 a gallon I don't think we will ever see below $2.00 a gallon again and seriously doubt ever seeing less than $2.50 a gallon.

I've seen the talk of prices going up a buck or two a gallon during disasters, September 11th and all, but I have yet to actually physically see it in person. I think they are not the norm. Maybe I'm just not in the right place, but on September 11th, I saw nothing that day nor in the days that followed. Honestly, making the prices that high just mean that you're not going to sell that fuel. It's the intent of the price, period.

As for ever seeing gas below $2 a gallon, this was the same thing that was said before, and I believed it, but I paid $0.69 a gallon for gasoline in 2001 in Georgia coming back from Daytona. I just can't personally speculate how I did before.

Similarly, can one always say their house will increase in its value? Some have gotten screwed in the recent overly inflated housing market getting into houses for too much money than they are really worth.

KU40 09-18-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 118975)
Where do you live at? We're still seeing $4 here, but we're taxed heavily and have stupid EPA mandated boutique fuels here. Looks like the last time we saw $3.19 was about the same time period though.

I live in eastern Kansas. The station I fill up at is unique for some reason, though. It is a Chevron and there is a Conoco right across the street. Both are always the same price (I always choose the Chevron, though, because the Conoco asks for my zip code when I use my debit card and that's just too much extra work, ha. But also it's on the right side of the road, so I can turn right in and out of it instead of left). However, there are two other gas stations 2 blocks away and those are always 10-15 cents higher. The prices in all surrounding areas and towns are always 10-15 cents higher too. So I don't know what it is about those two stations that makes them consistently lower.

Jay2TheRescue 09-18-2008 09:17 PM

SD26: There was talk like that in the 70's, and yet from the mid 80's through the mid 90's gas for the most part in my area was under $1.00/gal. Maybe we won't see prices under $1.00/gal again but I certainly think that under $2.00 is very possible with the right energy plan coming out of Washington.

-Jay

GasSavers_GasUser 09-19-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 119010)
SD26: but I certainly think that under $2.00 is very possible with the right energy plan coming out of Washington.

-Jay

Jay.....I think you are dreaming about under $2.00. Maybe under $3.00 (like $2.95 or something might be possible) but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not that I wouldn't mind though.

Dave

R.I.D.E. 09-19-2008 09:42 AM

If we have the backbone and the political forethought, gas prices will drop below $2 a gallon.

The people who come here confirm the possibility of getting 60 MPG in a car driven daily in normal traffic situations.

Where we can improve that mileage.

No idling No engine operation in anything other than ideal area of BFSC maps.

Real improvements across the board in aerodynamics without exception.

Powertrains that enable recovery of at least 80% of lost braking energy as well as decelerative energy.

Laws that force tire manufacturers to produce tires with absolutely minimal rolling resistance.

Simple designs that have fewer manufactured components without any additional cost above what the most basic vehicles cost today.

Exponential reductions in manitenance costs as well as powertrain durability, with the elimination altogether of many of the systems currently required to operate a vehicle.

When corporate average fuel economies reach 50 MPG the effects worldwide, combined with alternative sources of energy will end the monopoly of OPEC and oil producing nations will have to compete individually for the vastly reduced demand in their products.

Game set match, and it can be done beginning in less than 3 years with the transition complete in 10 years.

regards
gary

Ford Man 09-19-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue (Post 119010)
SD26: There was talk like that in the 70's, and yet from the mid 80's through the mid 90's gas for the most part in my area was under $1.00/gal. Maybe we won't see prices under $1.00/gal again but I certainly think that under $2.00 is very possible with the right energy plan coming out of Washington.

-Jay

The reason I don't think we'll ever see under $2. a gallon is because every time I can remember in my lifetime when gas prices were raised drastically when the price did come back down there was always a large increase in price compared to what it was before. In the early 70's, and then again in the late seventies or early 80's I don't remember which. I guess we'll just have to see what happens this time. I hope I am wrong. The only way I think gas prices will drop below $2. is if there is wide spread use of another type of energy for transportation.