Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   A noob's adventures in old technology (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/a-noobs-adventures-in-old-technology-12147.html)

Jay2TheRescue 11-28-2009 03:18 PM

Remember that #1 on a GM is always drivers side, all the way forward. Also consider that your timing may be off now that you've been messing with the distributor. Do you have a timing light?

theholycow 11-28-2009 03:20 PM

I will try switching them and see what happens.

Jay2TheRescue 11-28-2009 03:28 PM

I wish you were closer. I'd love to go up there and play with it. I am very well versed in early 80's GM engines. I've owned my 81 Regal for almost 19 years, I grew up helping dad work on our 1980 Pontiac wagon, my 81 AMC Spirit had a Pontiac Iron Duke (151) in it, plus the experience I picked up working on my 74 and 86 Chevy trucks... I know a lot about early 80's GM.

GasSavers_JoeBob 11-28-2009 05:42 PM

If the engine is running reasonably smoothly, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with the plug wires being crossed up. The lack of power above 45 mph sounds a lot like clogged fuel filter, which in my limited experience causes a car to run fine at idle, or slow speeds, and like a dead dog climbing hills or on the freeway.

theholycow 11-28-2009 05:52 PM

Yeah, when I thought in that direction, I very temporarily forgot that it was doing that before, too.

Edit: The fuel filter is $3. Hooray! Where on the car is it?

GasSavers_JoeBob 11-28-2009 06:10 PM

I can't say for sure on your car...if the fuel pump is in the tank then it is probably under the car somewhere. If it is a mechanical fuel pump it is probably on the inlet to the carb.

Jay2TheRescue 11-28-2009 06:19 PM

HC's car has a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the side of the engine block. The fuel filter is located in the carb. Look at where the fuel line goes into the carb. Disconnect the aluminum fuel supply line from the carb. You will notice that the fuel line is screwed into a large brass bushing on the carb. Remove this bushing. The fuel filter is behind it. Make sure the new filter is put in facing the proper direction. The check valve will be facing out, and the brass endcap on the filter will be towards the back. If put in backwards the engine probably would not run at all.

theholycow 11-29-2009 11:46 AM

Nope. Not gonna happen. I don't think that nut is coming loose unless I take the carburetor off, cut the fuel line, and replace it. It's acting like the nut on my truck's fuel filter did.

R.I.D.E. 11-29-2009 12:24 PM

Sorry HC, but this thread is almost as funny as my granddaughters fascination with the crank up windows in my car ;). Drove 5 miles down the road with her winding the window up-down-up-down-up-down.

regards
Gary

GasSavers_JoeBob 11-29-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 144717)
Nope. Not gonna happen. I don't think that nut is coming loose unless I take the carburetor off, cut the fuel line, and replace it. It's acting like the nut on my truck's fuel filter did.

Soak it with PBBlaster. Best stuff I've seen yet for stuck nuts. You DO have a tubing wrench, don't you? If not, get one. They're not expensive. Nut's already rounded off? Time for Vise-Grips.