Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   tire warped because of too much psi (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/tire-warped-because-of-too-much-psi-4356.html)

zpiloto 04-23-2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 48684)
Wow, the side by side looks really scary.

Glad you're OK. How many miles on them at the over inflated pressures and was it separated all the way around or just that 12 inch section or so?

I'll take the weight penalty over no spare any day.

BeeUU 04-23-2007 10:32 AM

I had a set of cheapo tires fail miserably years ago and were relatively few miles. The sidewall and tread separated (very large bulges) on 3 of the 4 tires, inflated normally. I dont remember the name and have not seen it since.

I also had one (1) Pirelli fail in a similar fashion, but it has many thousands of miles and was toast anyway. It produced a vibration in the car.

The failed tire is crazy looking, dang.

kickflipjr 04-23-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpiloto (Post 48730)
Glad you're OK. How many miles on them at the over inflated pressures and was it separated all the way around or just that 12 inch section or so?

I'll take the weight penalty over no spare any day.

It only happened in the section where I the picture was taken. I probably had the tires at that high of pressure for 500-750 miles.

BeeUU 04-23-2007 11:59 AM

Look at this as an opportunity to get a much better set of tires!! :cool:

I am glad you are OK!!

Hockey4mnhs 04-23-2007 12:02 PM

did you snap a band it looks alot like when my friend broke his

VetteOwner 04-23-2007 04:04 PM

alot of these cheapo tires you speak of are produced from the same factory on the same machines as these big name places. when they make the sidewwall they just put a different manufacturers nameplate in the mold and pour away. so price/or manf doesnt really matter.

this is one of the reasons i dont have my tires aired up over 5 over the sidewall limit.

JanGeo 04-23-2007 04:15 PM

The sidewall max pressure is for max weight load as well and cold pressure so it should be ok to run that much pressure i.e. 44psi typically. Now going higher than that is going to cause a failure sooner or later more likely sooner and I think that is what we are seeing. Now does the pressure increase when warmed MORE pounds if you are starting at a higher pressure . . . hummm sounds like another test. I like the idea of checking the pressure hot when running a lot higher pressure.

Lug_Nut 04-23-2007 04:45 PM

I've seen (had my own) similar episodes. The inner tire surface wasn't air tight. The air within the tire eventually migrated from the inside of the tire (32 psi) and pressurized the minute gaps between the belts to the same 32 psi. The tread has little pressure retention capacity and it began to bulge out from 32 psi underneath.
I was able to catch the developing separation fairly early. I punctured the "blister" from the tread side to deflate the bubble between the carcass and tread. Now I have a slow leak that took several days to drop 10 psi, but no blister and no further separation of tread. I continued to top off the pressure until I had a chance to remove the tire.
Note: The blister from this type of separation will exist when the tire is deflated. If the bulge in the tread dissipates as the tire is deflated, then the cords and belting are compromised and the tire is unsafe for further use other than as a swing in a tree.
I coated the inside of the tire in the area of the blister/bubble with rubber cement to make a new air tight skin. I reinflated the tire and had no other issues with it until the car died several months later.

red91sit 04-23-2007 08:25 PM

Hmm, weird! I"m also running the el cheapo tires, at 50-60 psi haha, had to for autocrossing, and they've been working great. My extremely old, dry rotted front tires just developed their first leak. Not as bad as i was expecting though.

psyshack 04-24-2007 03:23 AM

That tire looks just like the mex. retreads we use to buy on the west coast for burn out comps.