Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Diesels (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Not everyone wants a large diesel engine (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f12/not-everyone-wants-a-large-diesel-engine-16375.html)

LDB 04-20-2016 05:09 PM

Cool. Thanks. I think I either figured it out or maybe launched a new satellite to orbit Pluto.

trollbait 04-21-2016 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 188225)
That's just greedy people seeing dollar signs again, I'd be disgusted if VW were blackmailed into paying up. It was wrong of them to cheat, but so what, it didn't really make a difference in the grand scheme of things. I know I always bang on about the Coal stations in the US, but I think people just forget about them because they build them out of sight and out of mind. Even if you closed 99.9999% of them down, and left ONE open, it would still generate 1400% more pollution than EVERY diesel car in the US combined. Just think about that for a second. Makes you wonder if people even know the facts.

If there is no painful repercussions to VW for cheating the emission regulations, they or someone else will just do it again.

The actual damage from the extra pollution was small, but the damage to diesel's reputation was big. Along with the fools rolling coal, this is another reason for the public to shun diesels in the US. While cleaning up the emissions involves more work than a gasoline engine, renewable diesel seems to be more likely than renewable gasoline. I don't want diesel cars to disappear from North American roadways because of some bad actors.

The legacy coal plants in the US are dirty because they were grandfathered under more lenient pollution regulations. Most are approaching 60 years of age, if not older. Because of current regulations it is cheaper to build natural gas plants or windmills than new coal. Natural gas has exceeded coal for the US national grid.

The percentage of coal in the US has hit a low, and it likely isn't going to make any gains. New plants are expensive, and the old ones are shutting down. Some from lawsuits over the levels of pollution they produce.

Draigflag 04-21-2016 08:26 AM

It's kind of unfair, when you think many manufacturers have been caught out, VW may have raised the alarm so to speak, but they weren't the worse offenders at all. I just read about the real world N0x tests they've been doing, graded A to H, only 6 Euro 6 diesel engines were as compliant as they should be, and guess what, they were all VW group diesels. So in the real World, the VW diesels would appear to perform better than most in terms of pollution etc. The media feeding frenzy who have witch hunted VW probably won't report this now. More info here:

New EQUA NOx emissions rating launched | Next Green Car

SteveMak 04-21-2016 08:58 AM

According to this article https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cars-t...?.tsrc=applewf, "All cars tested by UK exceeded lab emissions limits on road".

Sadly, with respect to Dieselgate, VW's crime is cheating on a useless in-lab-only test, as there is no law for exceeding lab-levels of pollutants in real world use :-( Dumb laws, if you asked me.

Draigflag 04-21-2016 11:35 AM

To me and most others, it's strikingly obvious real world driving is going to cause more pollution because the lab test is a false scenario. In the NEDC test cycle, it's conducted on a rolling road, top speed is 39 MPH and the average for the whole test is something like 29 MPH. Things like wind resistance, traffic and weather probably don't even come into the equation. For some of the test, the engine even switches itself off, they should have changed it years ago and adapted it with the ever changing car market.

benlovesgoddess 04-21-2016 12:24 PM

That lab test is a piss-take, unhelpful bollox and tricked me into buying a car I wouldn't have otherwise touched. It is therefore in any manufacturers interests to cheat as heavily as possible. The ONLY reason I considered, then bought the i20 was the 94 mpg extra urban figure. As I would never have put any money Hyundais way under any other circumstances, they have used the fake claim as a hit and run one off blag sell on me. #@€%ers!
The sooner it has been replaced by something even slightly more accurate and truthful, the better! The US posted figures/actual figures seem comparable, can't we just adopt whatever method they use?!

Draigflag 04-21-2016 01:38 PM

Don't worry Ben, the RDE tests conducted in real world conditions are beginning next year. Some manufacturers have already started doing thier own tests to help win back potential customers put off by the "emissions scandal"

This is why fuelly is such a great site, probably the biggest collection of "real world" data you could ever wish for, car makers should take averages from here and use them instead of conducting time consuming and costly tests of thier own. Only today I was trying to get an idea of the Real World fuel economy figures for a certain car, and there it was in black and white, input by real owners averaged over almost 1,000,000 miles. What more could you ask for?

trollbait 04-22-2016 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 188246)
It's kind of unfair, when you think many manufacturers have been caught out, VW may have raised the alarm so to speak, but they weren't the worse offenders at all. I just read about the real world N0x tests they've been doing, graded A to H, only 6 Euro 6 diesel engines were as compliant as they should be, and guess what, they were all VW group diesels. So in the real World, the VW diesels would appear to perform better than most in terms of pollution etc. The media feeding frenzy who have witch hunted VW probably won't report this now. More info here:

New EQUA NOx emissions rating launched | Next Green Car

VW's crime was blatantly cheating the official test.

For those that fairly passed the official tests, yet exceeded limits on the road, the fault lies with the law makers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benlovesgoddess (Post 188251)
That lab test is a piss-take, unhelpful bollox and tricked me into buying a car I wouldn't have otherwise touched. It is therefore in any manufacturers interests to cheat as heavily as possible. The ONLY reason I considered, then bought the i20 was the 94 mpg extra urban figure. As I would never have put any money Hyundais way under any other circumstances, they have used the fake claim as a hit and run one off blag sell on me. #@€%ers!
The sooner it has been replaced by something even slightly more accurate and truthful, the better! The US posted figures/actual figures seem comparable, can't we just adopt whatever method they use?!

The two core test cycles of the EPA are still based upon driving patterns from L.A. in the 1950's. The top speed may come close to 60mph, but the average is in the 25 to 30 range. These results are used for CAFE, and they likely aren't too far off from NEDC.

The window sticker numbers were adjusted downward from nearly the beginning though. At first, it was a flat percentage, but now it involves the 3 new test cycles to come up with the adjustment factor for the car.

So the EPA window sticker likely comes the closest to real world results. The core tests could be improved to better reflect current driving patterns for CAFE and emissions, but it will take an act of Congress to make that so.

I know Canada and Korea use the EPA test cycles, but it involves politics to get the EU to use it.

OliverGT 04-22-2016 07:44 AM

This site has some good information on the EU tests:

Mind the Gap! Why official car fuel economy figures don’t match up to reality | Transport & Environment

They do take into account wind resistence by changing the rolling road set up, but as with everything else in the test Manufacturers can modify their cars to reduce this. For example by taping up all the shut lines and increasing tyre pressures, ensuring that the pistons on the brake calipers are pushed away from the discs and anything else you can think of. On top of that the testing site has a special surface designed to reduce rolling resistence which is used when setting up the rolling road for a particular car.

Because the current test uses fixed parameters it's easy for manufacturers to optimise their vehicles to perform well in the test.

Hopefully the new testing regime will start to produce more realistic figures.

Oliver.

SteveMak 04-22-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draigflag (Post 188252)
...This is why fuelly is such a great site, probably the biggest collection of "real world" data you could ever wish for...

I have to agree. When I was shopping for a new car, I narrowed it down to an Audi Q5 3.0L diesel. I saw Youtube videos making allegations about how good the fuel economy is. Evidently, when people make claims about how good their fuel economy is, they often believe the computer-displayed value on the dash is accurate!

In any event, I then discovered Fuelly, and saw the wealth of real-world information available there. I set my expectations according to actual, real-world use, as reported by Fuelly users, rather than the reports of car reviewers (who might believe a dash readout as actual fuel economy without stating how they got their numbers and formed their beliefs), or government-mandated methodologies that might not reflect real-world use or which might be influenced by the manufacturer's cheating (e.g., VW was charged with falsifying fuel economy numbers by cutting lubricants with diesel to reduce friction, and taping up seams to reduce air turbulence).

I based my purchase decision in part due to Fuelly's users and their reported fuel economy. After getting my vehicle in May 2015 and driving it in a manner that helps me be fuel efficient, I quickly rose to the top of the Fuelly numbers, and I recently got the No.1 spot for my Q5.

Draigflag 04-22-2016 08:46 AM

Or just stick with the current system, but take away 14% off the final figures. The industry average is 86% by that I mean on average, cars get 86% of the official figures, some less some more. Tends to be the modern cars with the bigger discrepancies, with all the fuel saving tech that works wonders in the lab.

SteveMak 04-22-2016 08:49 AM

A Much Improved Fuel Economy Test Cycle

In my view, if we had fuel economy tests performed by a separate agency, rather than by the manufacturer on "the honor system" (trust me, I'm doing it exactly like everyone else), we'd at least have more comparable numbers.

And as trollbait said, getting everyone to agree to the same methodology is the hard part.

trollbait 04-22-2016 09:10 AM

Government tests are better than reviews and user reports for comparing different models' fuel economy. The others simply have too much variance in the road and weather conditions to be of value.

Having an actual neutral party do the testing would be nice, but the people wouldn't want to pay for it. The EPA only tests about 10% of the models available, because that is all they can do with the resources they get.

SteveMak 04-22-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollbait (Post 188277)
...Having an actual neutral party do the testing would be nice, but the people wouldn't want to pay for it. The EPA only tests about 10% of the models available, because that is all they can do with the resources they get.

My thought is that the manufacturer would pay the independent agency to do all the tests required for certification. Their certification would include an agreement that the testing facility will at some future date pick a car at random (e.g., demo car from dealership) and retest it. This would help ensure that the manufacturer is not gaming the system by providing some specially prepared car (that does not accurately reflect the average production vehicle) for testing.

There would be all sorts of methodology details to work out, but it could result in a dramatically improved system. I'm sure the manufacturers' lobbyists will oppose anything other than self-testing honor-system, which is what we have now, and why we have the scandals we have now.

trollbait 04-25-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveMak (Post 188279)
My thought is that the manufacturer would pay the independent agency to do all the tests required for certification. Their certification would include an agreement that the testing facility will at some future date pick a car at random (e.g., demo car from dealership) and retest it. This would help ensure that the manufacturer is not gaming the system by providing some specially prepared car (that does not accurately reflect the average production vehicle) for testing.

There would be all sorts of methodology details to work out, but it could result in a dramatically improved system. I'm sure the manufacturers' lobbyists will oppose anything other than self-testing honor-system, which is what we have now, and why we have the scandals we have now.

VW actually did use an outside test company in Europe.:angel:

What you propose is close to how meat inspections are handled in the US. The inspecting is handled by the USDA, but the cost doesn't come out of the general tax revenue of the government, but by fees paid for by the meat plant. There is enough layers between what they pay, and the meat inspector, that there shouldn't be any conflict of interest.

The issue applying that to the EPA for car testing is in the needed facilities. It was years before the EPA got a 4 wheel test dynamometer. Before that, they had to physically disconnect one set of wheels on AWD cars for testing.

The EPA has some pretty strict rules, that were recently clarified, for the condition of the test car, including the amount of wear on the tires. Much of what NEDC allows isn't under those rules. Then the EPA does spot testing of a sample of models available, and reviews the data submitted by the manufacturer.

The only shady bit is that the EPA allows a hand built car to be tested. The reasoning is to allow testing to be done before production gets under way. The cars can't be sold without the window sticker.

dimonic 05-08-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselmech2 (Post 184505)
Don't get too excited, the 1/2ton dodge gets good milage when driving around empty but don't fall for the "tows great" or "will tow 9000lb's" cause that's plain bs. The truck is too big/heavy/too many options to drive/haul in traffic here with that little power. Like I said, a buddy traded his 6 month old 1/2 ton dodge in on a 3/4ton just so he could get the bigger cummins. He loved the cruising around milage but really, it's a big car with an open trunk. He almost bought an ecoboost f-150 like my others friends after hearing their towing stories but wanted diesel and the ford dealership wouldn't give him as much for a trade in as the dodge dealership would. So he bought a diesel that will pull, from the dodge dealership. Check out the payload..then figure in 4 people at say 200lb's each...then any other crap you have laying around in a truck, say a total of 1000lb's..what's the payload again?....1800lb's or something like that....uh that leaves 800lb's you can put in the back??? Yeah, that's a car with an open trunk.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud dodge for building a smaller diesel and sticking it in a 1/2ton, that's awesome. But when a trucks "raison d'etre" is hauling stuff and that's exactly where this truck falls short..that's a fail in my book.

What you say doesn't quite jive with the manufacturer's definitions. Their definition says "carried in the bed of the vehicle". Granted, in my truck that is only 1240 lbs, but that is enough for most of the uses I might put it to - such as a dozen sheets of ply, or drywall, or a half ton of triple mix.

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/421548.png

LDB 05-09-2016 05:43 AM

At least here in the states the term 1/2 ton or 1 ton doesn't really mean a lot. The one ton van I had with Fedex would actually carry about 3,500 pounds. A fair bit of that was used up by a full tank of fuel and my overweight but even all in and ready to go to work I could still carry 2,900 plus pounds legally.

I never carried more than about 2,250 except for one time I took 3,142 pounds 11 miles when the shipper claimed it was 1,800 pounds. I knew it was more than that but without a scale I didn't know just how much until I got to Fedex and they weighed it.

R.I.D.E. 05-16-2016 05:49 AM

I just measured the distance from the rear axle housing to the bump stops to determine how much weight I was carrying, after being on the county's scales with myself and 6 gallons of gas and being within 50 pounds of max gvw. It came to 1.5 inches on my 99 F150 (v6 manual stripper work truck, bought new for $13.5k).