Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   The amazing gas mileage blunder (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/the-amazing-gas-mileage-blunder-1339.html)

Rayme 12-22-2008 04:32 PM

Didn't you just describe a diesel engine, no throttle plate, low rpm and loads of torque?

R.I.D.E. 12-22-2008 05:28 PM

Try Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition, which is very much like a Diesel but without the emissions complications.

But in fact a Diesel is a very good place to start, with energy conversion efficiencies of 42%, powertrain efficiency of 85% or better, regeneration efficiency of 80%, CD below .34, and 16% weight reduction, combined with 25% lower rolling resistance, and you have a 7400 pound gross weight truck with 3.7 square meters of frontal area getting better than 50 MPG combined.

Those are EPA figures.

Now if you figure the frontal area reduced by 50%, drag coefficient of .19, you are talking 80-100 MPG in a sedan.

The EPA 3800 pound test mule got 80.

regards
gary

Sludgy 12-23-2008 06:25 AM

Gary's point was that it is possible to get high mileage without building engines out of unobtainium or costlium.

The four passenger WV Lupo got 78 mpg using technology no more sophisticated than a diesel engine with a starter/alternator. Hell, Geos and Civics in the 1980's got about 50 mpg with a gas engine simply by matching a low power engine to a lightweight body .

I'm beginning to hate hybrid technology because it takes the focus off the FE basics: low mass; good aerodynamics; and less powerful engines. In other words, it takes the focus off cars we can AFFORD.

theholycow 12-23-2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sludgy (Post 126260)
Gary's point was that it is possible to get high mileage without building engines out of unobtainium or costlium.
[...]
I'm beginning to hate hybrid technology because it takes the focus off the FE basics: low mass; good aerodynamics; and less powerful engines. In other words, it takes the focus off cars we can AFFORD.

Gary's point was also that they don't have to have low mass, as he repeatedly cited heavy examples (such as the 80mpg 3800 pound vehicle he mentions a couple posts above).

Sludgy 12-23-2008 07:01 AM

Touche

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 12-23-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. (Post 126241)
Now if you figure the frontal area reduced by 50%, drag coefficient of .19, you are talking 80-100 MPG in a sedan.

The EPA 3800 pound test mule got 80.

That Mercedes Bionic concept based on DI diesel and with low drag gets around there and it's practically minivan sized, (There's only an inch or two in it) figure I can find now says 70mpg but I think that's Imperial gallons.

Minicity 12-23-2008 08:22 AM

This topic falls under my fear of robot overloards. We are being setup for immobilization. (Now excuse me while I check my horse for a signs of an implanted processor.)

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 12-23-2008 08:32 AM

I'm prepared, Marvin is practically identical to Cruise's bug out vehicle in War of the Worlds, and I've got a spare coil in a lead lined box...... of course I need to fix his tranny...

aalb1 12-23-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minicity (Post 126267)
This topic falls under my fear of robot overloards. We are being setup for immobilization. (Now excuse me while I check my horse for a signs of an implanted processor.)

I'm prepared as well. Because... [Voice="KeanuReevesMatrix"] I know Kung Fu! [/Voice]

Minicity 12-23-2008 08:58 AM

I wish I knew Kung fu. My team of smurfs does though. Sadly, they don't exactly invoke much fear...... or damage either.
I've lead lined my car, and my house, and made tinfoil hats for all my fish. No ones going to read the thoughts of my guppies!