Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   First GS meet! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/first-gs-meet-1866.html)

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 03:54 PM

Re: Hummm... Google maps puts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger
Hummm... Google maps puts Pittsburgh at 2,492 miles... I think I'm gunna pass on this meet. =)

741 miles - a haul but doable. It's about the same distance to South Bend, IN, and I've driven that before.

krousdb 04-05-2006 03:55 PM

Re: So far we were hoping to

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
While we're at it, we can open the CX tranny case and check the ISB to make sure it's copacetic.

OK, showing my ignorance here, what is the ISB? Might I want to install a new throwout bearing? Thats what we used to call them back in the 70's when replace my last clutch on my 1970 AMX.

As long as we are opening the tranny, why not just swap the final drive gear? My tranny only has 45k miles while the CX tranny has over 100k. Im sure that i just said something stupid but I will leave it to you to point that out.:)

Cant wait to meet the ***** pin!

SVOboy 04-05-2006 03:59 PM

The cx final drive is better

The cx final drive is better for FE than yours, so no worries there with swapping. Anyway, the pin ain't bad, you just need a tool for it.

Your throwout bearing should be fine also, but you can have any of the clutch **** from the cx you want if it looks to be in better condition.

GasSavers_DaX 04-05-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krousdb
OK, showing my ignorance here, what is the ISB? Might I want to install a new throwout bearing? Thats what we used to call them back in the 70's when replace my last clutch on my 1970 AMX.

As long as we are opening the tranny, why not just swap the final drive gear? My tranny only has 45k miles while the CX tranny has over 100k. Im sure that i just said something stupid but I will leave it to you to point that out.:)

Cant wait to meet the ***** pin!

ISB = input shaft bearing. Sure, we can replace the TOB (throw out bearing) while we're in there...will you be installing a new clutch as well? Usually a new TOB and pilot bearing (goes in the flywheel) comes with a new clutch.

Unless you have access to a press to break down the countershaft, it's going to be difficult to just swap the FD.

Again, with the right tools (1/4" drift pin, 3 lb hammer), the ***** pin is really nothing more than a wuss pin.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:06 PM

Re: Yes, all your shit will work

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Yes, all your **** will work danny, wouldn't a suggested it if it wouldn't. We basically have the same damn engine. If Dax is coming up I'm half tempted to do my tranny swap there also, that'd be crrrrazzzeeeeeee.

Anyway, compression should be the same or not significantly different. I will check though.

Doh! Im getting confused with the VX swap where the CR would change. Didnt mean to dis you SVO, i just got confused.

Yes, a dual tranny swap, one in each garage bay. I have a third bay under the deck in case anyone else needs to swap something. Bring your own jacks, as I have no lifts other than the el cheapo floor jack and two jack stands.

SVOboy 04-05-2006 04:10 PM

You didn't "dis" me, I'm

You didn't "dis" me, I'm just saying. Yeah, CR would be *** high on a vx head. :(

I need to find one of those damn engines. I put my car up on cinder blocks and wood, :p

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
ISB = input shaft bearing. Sure, we can replace the TOB (throw out bearing) while we're in there...will you be installing a new clutch as well? Usually a new TOB and pilot bearing (goes in the flywheel) comes with a new clutch.

The current clutch is still good but I guess we could put in an new clutch. Should I get one from the dealership? TOB and pilot bearings comes with eh? About how much for the works? Does a new clutch require resurfacing the flywheel? Maybe I should replace the timing belt also. 13 years old after all.

Anyway, most of my weekends are open for the meet. The bad ones are: April 15-16, April 29-30, June 17-18, July 22-23, August 19-20. Anything else is doable for me. SVOboy doesnt have any bad weekends except for graduation so, since a visit from DaX would be da bomb, what would be good for you?

SVOboy 04-05-2006 04:29 PM

Clutch can come from much

Clutch can come from much anywhere, I will be getting my new one for free soon (from a 98 civic ex) and just buying a TOB from autozone for 22 bucks to use it with my CRX. What what.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Hummm... Google maps puts Pittsburgh at 2,492 miles... I think I'm gunna pass on this meet. =)

Thanks for considering it. Maybe a west coast meet is in order.

krousdb 04-05-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaX
Quote:

741 miles - a haul but doable. It's about the same distance to South Bend, IN, and I've driven that before.

Wow, it seems like South Bend would be a lot farther. It is over 200 miles WNW from Pittsburgh.