Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   OBD2 tool (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/obd2-tool-3149.html)

MetroMPG 10-23-2006 01:02 PM

Can't get the laptop to see the tool. Hrm... I've got LEDs showing on the tool when stuck in the OBD2 port, but I don't know what they mean (no instructions came with it).

I wrote to the seller for advice. This is the part where I discover if I should have paid more for the one made in TN...

MetroMPG 10-23-2006 03:04 PM

I think it's the computer - the COM port isn't active - tried connecting a serial mouse and a digital camera with no success for either.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose it? I've been messing around and not getting anywhere. Win 98 on an old p120 laptop. Device manager says the serial port is enabled and working properly...

MetroMPG 10-25-2006 04:56 PM

OK: I'm officially disappointed with the tool I got.

I finally got it "working" with a borrowed computer (with a known working COM port).

The unit came with half a dozen free OBD reader programs on a CD. Only one of them works with the unit, and it doesn't have logging, graphing, or gauge functions. Useless.

So, now I'll have to look around for a better program.

Silveredwings 10-25-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG
OK: I'm officially disappointed with the tool I got.

So, now I'll have to look around for a better program.

Does that mean you're OK with the hardware and not the program, or do you think you're painted into a corner with this particular hardware that has sub-optimal sfw support?

MetroMPG 10-25-2006 05:33 PM

I just don't know enough about the hardware to say it's "good" or not, or whether it's only a hardware/software compatibility issue.

Reading around online, I have learned that not all the programs work with all the hardware, despite supposedly being built on open standards.

Essentially I bought hardware built by hobbyists, and am attempting to run it on software written by hobbyists. In retrospect, the smart move would have been to get both pieces of the puzzle from the same hobbyist (like the guy in TN, whose program screen shots I posted above).

For all I know, it may be computer-related too.

Silveredwings 10-25-2006 05:35 PM

Metro: do you know if there are any open-source programs out there that would work with the hdw you have?

MetroMPG 10-25-2006 05:39 PM

I believe the source is available for some of them, yes. The one that came on the CD with source coded didn't work on the borrowed computer, though. Locked up.

Silveredwings 10-25-2006 05:44 PM

Depending on what language the source is written in, you might be able to make your own mods to it. I think that's what I'm looking for, though it's always nicer to find it already written and stable. And of course if it works and you have the source, it (or part of it) might be ported to other platforms like Palms and cel phones. Maybe.

MetroMPG 10-25-2006 05:49 PM

It would be very good to be able to do that, yes. Beyond my capabilities though.

I've spent too many hours trying to make this work over the last 2 evenings and I've run out of patience. Time to put the toys away, close the laptop, and chill.

MetroMPG 10-26-2006 04:13 PM

Spent another hour plus on it today: Re-installed EVERYTHING on my old laptop (so I can give the borrowed one back) and got the COM port to talk to the scan tool. And I think I found a program that will do logging, and it also appears to be able to talk with the tool.

I'll have to look into it a bit more this weekend. Quel grand ordeal.