Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Its getting hot (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/its-getting-hot-4057.html)

OdieTurbo 07-25-2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slurp812 (Post 51385)
I have a black car, and park in an open lot in a downtown area. no shade anywhere. vents only blow more hot air. I just roll down the windows, and try not to burn my hands on the wheel.... :)

Same here, damn Saturn is "Charcoal Grey" with dark grey interior. I get in and I can barely touch the wheel.

I think someone else mentioned it, but I use the AC in bursts. When it gets cool, I shut it off by pressing the AC button. When it warms up to where I can't take it, I'll turn it on again. I also run with my vents open and the left window down about 1".

Zvolen 07-25-2007 09:48 AM

In my Saturn the AC doesn't work and it has been hot here as of late and I have been unable to use it, I usually would just roll down the windows and it isn't too bad as I have a short commute home. However, I just tinted my windows all around and it helps with the heat while sitting however for the first 5 days which today is the third you can't roll down the windows, its been almost unbearable.

P.S. Also for those with limits on the % of tint when I went to get mine tinted they said they had a clear tint that blocks out the same amount of heat/UV/etc has the darker tint but is clear, maybe you can check into that.

GasSavers_rGS 07-25-2007 10:08 AM

What I do is to open as many windows I can to let out the accumulated hot air inside the main cabin. Even a gentle crosswind can help move the hot air out of the windows. Then I turn the fan on full blast to help clear out the hot air inside the air ducts. Once the air ducts are clear of hot air as well as most of the cabin, I roll the windows back up. That should help your cooling system because a reduction in starting temperature should reduce the required cooling system usage.

Telco 07-25-2007 11:23 AM

Have any of you looked at the ice-based AC? There is a company that uses a fan to blow air into an ice chest across ice, and it is supposed to be able to keep a small area cool for hours before the ice melts.

On why the vent is hotter than outside air, the heater and air conditioner are housed together, with only a thin plastic door with a thin piece of insulation between them. When the car gets hot, the heater core is dumping heat into its little section, and with the AC off it takes a very short time for that heat to get past the little door. Putting a heater core cutoff in the line will help a lot with both the vent being hotter and the AC not working well.

And on the air deflectors, they used to have those on Chevy trucks until 1987. Worst decision ever to remove that feature from the truck. I loved mine. My 79 had no AC, and there was a vent on the driver's and passenger's floorboards that could be opened and closed. I didn't miss AC in that truck, with both side vents open, the floor vents open and the windows down the inside of the truck was like a tornado. But, they decided that because AC is available that nobody wanted those little wing windows. Sucks, because now you are limited to either windows down only or AC as options.

Hockey4mnhs 07-25-2007 12:22 PM

its gotton to the point were i dont care anymore about comfort. i have 2 sets of shirts i were for when im in the car so because they are really cool. i have used a/c 2 times all year and it wasent for very long because i couldent make myself do it. the best thing that works for me is the front left and the back right windows open like some of you guys said a while back so thatnks alot for that because it the only thing that works.

cfg83 07-25-2007 12:26 PM

OdieTurbo -

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 65314)
Same here, damn Saturn is "Charcoal Grey" with dark grey interior. I get in and I can barely touch the wheel.

I think someone else mentioned it, but I use the AC in bursts. When it gets cool, I shut it off by pressing the AC button. When it warms up to where I can't take it, I'll turn it on again. I also run with my vents open and the left window down about 1".

I have a cheap small blanket that I got from Big Lots or 99 cents or someplace to drape over the wheel. Alternatively, get a windshield sun shade for $1.50, fold it over, cut it to shape, and staple the sides to make a cover for the steering wheel. You can do anything with those alumino sun shade thingys, pizza box warmers, car sun visor extenders, halloween outfits, and .... sun shades.

CarloSW2

cfg83 07-25-2007 12:27 PM

Hockey4mnhs -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 65375)
its gotton to the point were i dont care anymore about comfort. i have 2 sets of shirts i were for when im in the car so because they are really cool. i have used a/c 2 times all year and it wasent for very long because i couldent make myself do it. the best thing that works for me is the front left and the back right windows open like some of you guys said a while back so thatnks alot for that because it the only thing that works.

I drive to work in a T-shirt, and switch to a nice shirt in the parking lot for my job.

CarloSW2

lovemysan 07-25-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakster (Post 43760)
Mine is particularly dark. Very close to 100% blockage (you can only see in my car with your face right up to the rear window). I don't see why anyone would want anything less dark if you're going to go through the trouble of tinting.

Mines 35% up front and 20% around the back. Because I don't want my wife backing into large metalic,stone, concrete, or wooden objects at night.

GasSavers_Ryland 07-25-2007 08:18 PM

I have some silver bubble wrap (reflectex) that I prop up in my front window, I then crack the sun roof, and windows, and when I get in, it feels like my car was parked in the shade, even when it's 105F out side, and I have a black dash, and seats.

rh77 07-25-2007 10:35 PM

The Oven

Dark Blue Paint
Charcoal Grey Interior
Sloping Hatch Glass

Getting to work is OK, it's after the car has been parked in the Sun all day at work and that drive home is the hottest. I usually leave the hatch open while I roll the windows down and then go back to put my bag in the back -- airs it out a bit. I probably need to look into the heat reflectors first. Starting out cool seems to help. If only there was a way to keep the hatch cool...

https://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL698.../267974068.jpg

Wait, it's not 1982 anymore...:rolleyes: JK

Compared to other vehicles, the A/C air is as cold, but it struggles to maintain temperature. I'm convinced the windshield and rear glass are big contributors to the barrage of heat -- and getting the air flow is tough with the coupe windows (seems like all or nothing).

Where can you get the sunshades or reflective materials???

RH77